TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Pin Thread

That looks really nice Steve! How about some more information on the spacer. What did you use?

Chuck

Thanks. The 'spacer' was just some spare hardware I had laying around, which I tossed afterwards. All you need is a cylinder about 3/16 to 1/4 long, That has a diameter slightly less than the recessed openings, that is also hollow to let the stem of the rivet pass through. Sorry, I don't have a photo. -Steve

Edited by SoFL05GT

• 2 weeks later...
Has anybody had this problem with their Shelby replacement hood pins?? As you can see in the pics, both my plastic covers on my lanyards have split open and ripped and have rust stains on them. Are these replaceable?

post-20530-1243639057_thumb.jpg post-20530-1243639073_thumb.jpg

I had the same thing on my 2007 SGT with the "new" Black Billet Hood Pins... The clear plastic can be replaced with HEAT SHRINK from NAPA... You can get a box of the stuff for under $5... So replacing it over time won't cost very much...

post-8727-1244841534_thumb.jpg

post-8727-1244841565_thumb.jpg

Just have to separate the pin/swivel from the O-ring... Remove the old covering and push on a short length of the heat shrink... Heat it up evenly and let it cool... Put everything back together... And if you need to "tweak" the O-ring to fit better, use a medium sized pair of channel-locks and square-off the ends that fit back into the pin for a snug and proper fit...

Gregg

07SGT0547

post-8727-1244841534_thumb.jpg

post-8727-1244841565_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I was told 16-20 WEEKS before I get the warrantied pins and that I'll need to turn my old stuff in, before the countdown begins. This info was given me today, more than a month after I dropped my car off in the first place.

So I either drive around with no pin bases/lanyards for up to 5 months or I buy a set off of SPP in the meantime. Is anyone else having to wait this ridiculously long??

A service lady at the dealer (different than the scoop/stripes debacle) honestly tried telling me that the pin bases were all 'hand made to order' and that's why the wait was so long. I laughed, took the warranty # from her, and went home from another dealer irritated beyond belief.

Ken

Ken, that doesn't sound right at all. I had mine replaced under warranty and it worked fine. My dealer took pictures and sent them to the FRPP warranty people who okayed the replacement. I even called FRPP later to verify the claim and they told me when they were shipped. After the parts arrived I took my car in and had them replaced. Only then did the dealer remove (and return) the old ones. Unless things have changed quite a bit someone is trying to blow smoke up your gump stump. Call the FRPP people and see what they say. I believe I spoke with Mitchell when I was going through the process.

Ken, that doesn't sound right at all. I had mine replaced under warranty and it worked fine. My dealer took pictures and sent them to the FRPP warranty people who okayed the replacement. I even called FRPP later to verify the claim and they told me when they were shipped. After the parts arrived I took my car in and had them replaced. Only then did the dealer remove (and return) the old ones. Unless things have changed quite a bit someone is trying to blow smoke up your gump stump. Call the FRPP people and see what they say. I believe I spoke with Mitchell when I was going through the process.

My SGT's muffler tips were discolored and had surface rust, which by itself is not a warrantable concern, according to FRPP. However, the offered me what they call a good will adjustment, providing the parts only. They provided me with a return label for shipping them the mufflers. Once the mufflers were received by FRPP, they shipped me the new mufflers, so all together my SGT sat in the garage without mufflers for about one week. The removal or reinstallation of the mufflers was my responsibility. Perhaps Ken's hood pins are being replaced as a good will adjustment? -Steve

Edited by SoFL05GT

Ken,

Sounds like a dealership policy not Ford Motor Co.- my advice is to talk to a different dealer.

My hood laynards and pins only took 2 weeks to get and that was just last month. All the service department had to do was submit photos of each pin in question to the Ford warranty center to get approval. They even used the same pin for two different photos just in different angles. Once the dealership recieved them I picked them up, switched them out, and returned all the old parts so they could get paid for parts and labor on the warranty claim.

My favorite Service Department, my very own garage

Edited by FordFan1

I was told 16-20 WEEKS before I get the warrantied pins and that I'll need to turn my old stuff in, before the countdown begins. This info was given me today, more than a month after I dropped my car off in the first place.

So I either drive around with no pin bases/lanyards for up to 5 months or I buy a set off of SPP in the meantime. Is anyone else having to wait this ridiculously long??

A service lady at the dealer (different than the scoop/stripes debacle) honestly tried telling me that the pin bases were all 'hand made to order' and that's why the wait was so long. I laughed, took the warranty # from her, and went home from another dealer irritated beyond belief.

Ken

The lady is smoking somethin...the parts are user installable too and you DO NOT need to return the old ones before or after, at least I was told no when I got mine replaced.

I would call Ford Warranty yourself and ask.

Edited by JeffIsHereToo

My SGT's muffler tips were discolored and had surface rust, which by itself is not a warrantable concern, according to FRPP. However, the offered me what they call a good will adjustment, providing the parts only. They provided me with a return label for shipping them the mufflers. Once the mufflers were received by FRPP, they shipped me the new mufflers, so all together my SGT sat in the garage without mufflers for about one week. The removal or reinstallation of the mufflers was my responsibility. Perhaps Ken's hood pins are being replaced as a good will adjustment? -Steve

Mufflers are $$$ so maybe I can see an argument made, but even that I think is absurd when the dealer can ensure the return, of course maybe with all these missing hood scoops never returned, perhaps Ford has a new policy?

Mufflers are $$$ so maybe I can see an argument made, but even that I think is absurd when the dealer can ensure the return, of course maybe with all these missing hood scoops never returned, perhaps Ford has a new policy?

:ninja:

Perhaps my karma has come back to haunt me sooner than later?

I called FRPP warranty and asked what the deal was on the seriously long wait. I also asked why I had to send my pins in, before the claim would be active.

The woman was very friendly and helpful. She explained that this was Shelby's NEW policy on all items of this nature. Some parts could be swapped out at the dealers but most will now have to be mailed in first. She also mentioned that the wait had recently increased a lot, because of a giant backlog of work orders.

Has anyone else heard this?

Anyway, I pulled my pin bases and lanyards and dropped them off with my dealer. I also ordered the generic set of billet pins from SPP, just in case the warranty claim does in fact take 5 months! I'll keep the board posted on how it turns out. :lurk:

Ken

I called FRPP warranty and asked what the deal was on the seriously long wait. I also asked why I had to send my pins in, before the claim would be active.

The woman was very friendly and helpful. She explained that this was Shelby's NEW policy on all items of this nature. Some parts could be swapped out at the dealers but most will now have to be mailed in first. She also mentioned that the wait had recently increased a lot, because of a giant backlog of work orders.

Has anyone else heard this?

Anyway, I pulled my pin bases and lanyards and dropped them off with my dealer. I also ordered the generic set of billet pins from SPP, just in case the warranty claim does in fact take 5 months! I'll keep the board posted on how it turns out. :lurk:

Ken

Wow! BIG change there for sure!

Good info!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have absolutely no corrosion at this point.

Then again, mine is a garage ornament with only 3k miles since may of 07.

What should I do to prevent corrosion long term? Aluminum screws? If so - what size, and where to get them.

Considering going to the newer style anyways as it looks much better.

Mine is another garage queen.I got the aluminum screws myself, but when

I called Shelby about my shifter, I was told that Shelby would send you new

aluminum screw, again I was told this.---Jack

Hey everyone,

I need some advice. I took my 07 Shelby in for the hood scoop, stripes and hood pin corrosion issues. I of course knew it was a long shot on the stripes, but hey, I figured I would try. However, it really surprised me that Ford denied my warranty claim to have the corrosion fixed because I switched the 07 pins to the Shelby Billet Aluminum pins. There were 3 07 Shelbys sold from my dealership, the other two cars were just recently fixed for all of the same issues. All of us had less than 4,000 miles on our cars.

Out side of the ford warranty process, I contacted Rodger at Shelby customer service by e-mail. Have any of you tried this route? How long did you have to wait for a response? It has been 5 days for me as I write.

Did you get your warranty work approved directly through Ford warranty or did you have to get an exception? If so, how did you handle it?

I am somewhat frustrated at this point and hoping someone may have some answers.

Thanks!

I haven't noticed any corrosion, but my car only has 2400 mile's on it and sits in the garage 90% of the time. The ring on my right one won't snap and lock any more so i just leave them hanging inside and don't use them.

Personally i don't care for hood pins, especially the cheap dimestore junk that came on the 07's, and would have deleted them if it had been an option.

Edited by STLShelby

I haven't noticed any corrosion, but my car only has 2400 mile's on it and sits in the garage 90% of the time. The ring on my right one won't snap and lock any more so i just leave them hanging inside and don't use them.

Personally i don't care for hood pins, especially the cheap dimestore junk that came on the 07's, and would have deleted them if it had been an option.

Send me a pm with your address, I have an extra from a stock SGT07 I purchased off the TMS forum, a member had an extra set with coated lanyards and a spare, I was waiting on my replacements from Ford and they came in on my 08SGT-BJ. I didn't realize they were different on the 07 & 08 models.

I'll send you the spare, pretty common problem some of us have had....

GG

Some 07's had issues with rings not having the proper tension to clamp shut. They are covered under warranty for replacement. I had the same issue with mine after month 3 or so, got them replaced, no issues since.

Ski,

Where are you in Michigan? Just wondering what dealership you are working with.

I will not use my original dealership (don seeyle in Kalamazoo), but there is a small local dealer that has been a bit more helpful.

I am working with Milnes Ford in Lapeer. I am beginning to feel like I am getting the run around. But I am hoping there is just some confusion at this point.

I am working with Milnes Ford in Lapeer. I am beginning to feel like I am getting the run around. But I am hoping there is just some confusion at this point.

Did you download, print and provide them to warranty process info here?

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=42709

You shouldn't be getting any run around.

Hey, so I'm now in this group too. I have an 07 SGT CSM 1200. I'm going in tomorrow for a couple things. 1. My Scoop is warped 2. My Pony on the grille needs to be redone 3. my paint is bubbling around the hood pins. :cry: :cry::cry:

I've already been approved for the replacement Shelby Scoop, but my question is about the hood pins. Is Shelby/Ford replacing the 07SGT's who are having problems with the hood pins with the 08 style? And if so do they say "Shelby GT" or just "Shelby".

I'm really hoping Ford/Shelby are doing that because it just seems like the 07 hood pins are nothing but trouble... I don't know if I'll have to contact someone at Shelby to make that happen or what...if anyone has any advice on who to contact or where I should go with this let me know! Thanks

-Colin

Hey, so I'm now in this group too. I have an 07 SGT CSM 1200. I'm going in tomorrow for a couple things. 1. My Scoop is warped 2. My Pony on the grille needs to be redone 3. my paint is bubbling around the hood pins. :cry: :cry::cry:

I've already been approved for the replacement Shelby Scoop, but my question is about the hood pins. Is Shelby/Ford replacing the 07SGT's who are having problems with the hood pins with the 08 style? And if so do they say "Shelby GT" or just "Shelby".

I'm really hoping Ford/Shelby are doing that because it just seems like the 07 hood pins are nothing but trouble... I don't know if I'll have to contact someone at Shelby to make that happen or what...if anyone has any advice on who to contact or where I should go with this let me know! Thanks

-Colin