TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Pin Thread

I really need to check this closely on mine; I haven't noticed it but I haven't really looked for it either.

On a carrier - wow - where are you at the moment or can you even tell us??

The bezel has nothing to do with any issues as it doesn't make contact with the exposed areas of the hood and even has a rubber gasket between it an the hood. The likely suspect in this, if there is one, has been pointed out to be the screws and in the thread below has advice of other options given again here.

Bump!

:happy feet:

The gasket on the stainless bezel doesn't prevent the plate from coming in partial contact around the screw holes. That small area of aluminum in contact with stainless actually is worse than having a larger area in contact when it comes to galvanic corrosion. So the bezel is probably part of the problem. What I like about the billet set-up it also has a Delrin plastic piece that also isolates the pieces. The '08 billet set and aluminum screws is the best one can do without going to the CS6 hood.

The gasket on the stainless bezel doesn't prevent the plate from coming in partial contact around the screw holes. That small area of aluminum in contact with stainless actually is worse than having a larger area in contact when it comes to galvanic corrosion. So the bezel is probably part of the problem. What I like about the billet set-up it also has a Delrin plastic piece that also isolates the pieces. The '08 billet set and aluminum screws is the best one can do without going to the CS6 hood.

Black Nylon screws on the 07 plates would work. The screw heads will come in contact with the stainless. If you dig the old style pins and plates there are full aluminum material, same design in race catalogues...pop rivet full aluminum ones on...

I have a little bit of a different problem! regarding an 07 SGT

The snap ring that goes into the pin does not have strong enough hold.

Is there a way to fix this or do I have to buy new ones?

P.S I don’t drive with them on because I am afraid of them falling and destroying my front end.

Thanks for any help!

Jonathan

I have a little bit of a different problem! regarding an 07 SGT

The snap ring that goes into the pin does not have strong enough hold.

Is there a way to fix this or do I have to buy new ones?

P.S I don’t drive with them on because I am afraid of them falling and destroying my front end.

Thanks for any help!

Jonathan

Warranty.

Black Nylon screws on the 07 plates would work. The screw heads will come in contact with the stainless. If you dig the old style pins and plates there are full aluminum material, same design in race catalogues...pop rivet full aluminum ones on...

Actually the underside of the plates around the screw holes do come in contact with the hood because the gasket is compressed and pushes outward. If the old style is wanted, I would use the nylon srews and add a harder barrier (like the Delrin piece in the billet set) underneath the stainless plate. That should isolate everything nicely.

Actually the underside of the plates around the screw holes do come in contact with the hood because the gasket is compressed and pushes outward. If the old style is wanted, I would use the nylon srews and add a harder barrier (like the Delrin piece in the billet set) underneath the stainless plate. That should isolate everything nicely.

I've taken mine on and off twice for warranty replacement and I just don't see that you're seeing. The only places any metal to metal contact is taking place is between the screw threads and the drilled hood holes. Any area where there is a compression or a hole has paint and that's even saying they are touching which from my review upon removal doesn't show to be the case. There are no visible signs that there is any contact with the paint or anything.

I'm still not 100% convinced what the cause is here. If you look at the galvanic numbers between aluminum and stainless where they have a .25 difference which under normal conditions should be fine. Unless the environment is really wet or there us some other electrolyte this shouldn't cause any issues. It's not just having dissimilar metals but what metals, and what conditions, that make a difference.

I have no issues, TODAY, with my car, an 07 built at SAI in April 07.

Edited by JeffIsHereToo

I've taken mine on and off twice for warranty replacement and I just don't see that you're seeing. The only places any metal to metal contact is taking place is between the screw threads and the drilled hood holes. Any area where there is a compression or a hole has paint and that's even saying they are touching which from my review upon removal doesn't show to be the case. There are no visible signs that there is any contact with the paint or anything.

I'm still not 100% convinced what the cause is here. If you look at the galvanic numbers between aluminum and stainless where they have a .25 difference which under normal conditions should be fine. Unless the environment is really wet or there us some other electrolyte this shouldn't cause any issues. It's not just having dissimilar metals but what metals, and what conditions, that make a difference.

I have no issues, TODAY, with my car, an 07 built at SAI in April 07.

Just the small areas around the screw holes were unpainted on my car along with the edge around the pin hole. I didn't have any problem until I had to leave the car out in the snow and ice and it took several days for the thing to thaw around the pins. That's when I saw the corrosion. You're right! It takes a high moisture/humidity environment to cause this but that's what a car sees from time to time.

I'm an engineer in a marine industry and we use aluminum as a sacrifical anode to protect other metals in contact with seawater.

Just the small areas around the screw holes were unpainted on my car along with the edge around the pin hole. I didn't have any problem until I had to leave the car out in the snow and ice and it took several days for the thing to thaw around the pins. That's when I saw the corrosion. You're right! It takes a high moisture/humidity environment to cause this but that's what a car sees from time to time.

I'm an engineer in a marine industry and we use aluminum as a sacrifical anode to protect other metals in contact with seawater.

That's sounds about right. I think the fact that my car has been washed with water maybe 6 times in two years and driven in rain maybe 3 times might account for the fact I don't have this issue YET. We'll see! I will look into the AI screws.

That's sounds about right. I think the fact that my car has been washed with water maybe 6 times in two years and driven in rain maybe 3 times might account for the fact I don't have this issue YET. We'll see! I will look into the AI screws.

It's been raining for a week or more here in VA and my car is still exposed to the elements because I can't yet put the cover on it (my wife ran into the back quarter panel a while ago and the paint is still needs to cure for another two weeks or so). It looks like there is no progression of the corrosion at this point. So, with the billet pins and aluminum screws, this bad boy may be licked!

Well I just had the 08sgt1455 looked at for the stripes, the hood scoop, and rusty lanyards on the pins and a bad spring on one lanyard last week. Went out last night and low and behold but bubbles are starting all around both hood pins. Lots of water and temperature changes this week so that must have gotten it going quickly! Now I will have to take it in and have them send that in so we can get everything taken care of at one time.

Well I just had the 08sgt1455 looked at for the stripes, the hood scoop, and rusty lanyards on the pins and a bad spring on one lanyard last week. Went out last night and low and behold but bubbles are starting all around both hood pins. Lots of water and temperature changes this week so that must have gotten it going quickly! Now I will have to take it in and have them send that in so we can get everything taken care of at one time.

The '07 lanyards and pins didn't have rust problems for me. However, the rings do tend to pop out of their holes from time to time but not as much as the "original" rings that came with 07SGT#384. However, the material of rings and lanyards on the '08 billet set look different. They may be a stainless steel material that is not as corrosion resistant.

What is rusting on these is the clip that transitions from the actual vinyl coated lanyard to the ring the pin is on. The rubber coating on them was torn and it was rusty when I got the car as was the broken spring on the drivers side pin. They had the pins tucked in and I did not take them out until I got home so I did not notice on the lot, but should not be a problem to get take care of.

The dealer evidently has done 3 hood scoop/strip issues but I am the first one with the bubbling paint around the hood pins. I am taking it in after work tonight so they can snap a few pictures. I referred them to this forum for information on both problems...hopefully they can soak up the information like I have and get things done right the first time!

The '07 lanyards and pins didn't have rust problems for me. However, the rings do tend to pop out of their holes from time to time but not as much as the "original" rings that came with 07SGT#384. However, the material of rings and lanyards on the '08 billet set look different. They may be a stainless steel material that is not as corrosion resistant.

I had my SGT repaired for bubbling caused by erosion around the pin screws. I also had the scoop replaced as well all under warranty. The local Ford dealer outsourced the work. They did a great job. The first thing I did as soon as the car came back was opened the hood, put a towel on top of the hole the pin goes through and then put three healthy coats of clear-coat around the hole underneath the hood where the hoodpin parts all layer together forming the pin hole's circumference. I have driven it through an entire winter and snow without any corrosion so far.

Also during the warranty work I had the front grille replaced under warranty as well because the horse emblem paint colors were being blasted off by the particles in the air stream hitting the front grille. And I was getting pits in the grille due to the particles in the airstream as well. As soon as it came back I clear-coated the entire new grille and emblem. The new grille and emblem were all covered under the the warranty as well.

The entire job took 5 weeks as the parts came in at different times and I had a rental (Fusion) provided by the dealer the entire time.

Edited by SkyDancer

I had my SGT repaired for bubbling caused by erosion around the pin screws. I also had the scoop replaced as well all under warranty. The local Ford dealer outsourced the work. They did a great job. The first thing I did as soon as the car came back was opened the hood, put a towel on top of the hole the pin goes through and then put three healthy coats of clear-coat around the hole underneath the hood where the hoodpin parts all layer together forming the pin hole's circumference. I have driven it through an entire winter and snow without any corrosion so far.

Also during the warranty work I had the front grille replaced under warranty as well because the horse emblem paint colors were being blasted off by the particles in the air stream hitting the front grille. And I was getting pits in the grille due to the particles in the airstream as well. As soon as it came back I clear-coated the entire new grille and emblem. The new grille and emblem were all covered under the the warranty as well.

The entire job took 5 weeks as the parts came in at different times and I had a rental (Fusion) provided by the dealer the entire time.

Man!!! All these problems are only attributed to the Shelby (Scott Drake?) parts of the car. Just goes to show that when dealing with high production quantities , Ford managed to work out most of the problems in the first two years or production. On the other hand Shelby didn't have that benefit. I say I never buy a first year production because of that but in some repects we all did with these SGT's. The bright side is that all of my problems have only been cosmetic (I'll have to look at the grill now??? :unsure: ). The rest of the car has been perfect!

Man!!! All these problems are only attributed to the Shelby (Scott Drake?) parts of the car. Just goes to show that when dealing with high production quantities , Ford managed to work out most of the problems in the first two years or production. On the other hand Shelby didn't have that benefit. I say I never buy a first year production because of that but in some repects we all did with these SGT's. The bright side is that all of my problems have only been cosmetic (I'll have to look at the grill now??? :unsure: ). The rest of the car has been perfect!

Ford takes years to design and test a car with hundreds of people assigned to various parts of a project. Then they take months testing and retesting etc., and EVEN then they often get it wrong! Anyone else have a Fox body with the deteriorating black plastic around the windows after the first year? So while these things aggravate me as well I do understand how it can happen.

Wish I would have seen this before I got my scoop and stripes fixed...After reading this I looked at my pins a little closer and one side has paint bubbling up around the pins that I can see without removing anything...I read for the fix they have to redo the stripes after they sand and repaint the hood...AWESOME maybe I can get the TSB tranny clutch grinding issue done all at the same time...Looks like I'll be driving the loaner cobalt for a week! That's shelby issue's 2 and Ford issue's 1 on my 2 1/2 month old car!

Edited by 08shelbygt/superbee

I have a date with my Ford dealer next Monday to get my scoop and stripes replaced. I need to get the hood pin lanyards looked at (they're rusted badly), along with the pony emblem (which now has 1/2 the original paint), the grill (which is pitting badly), my driver's rocker panel (which has been loose and sticking out since the day I bought it), and windshield washer fluid pump (which doesn't work anymore). I've owned my SGT for 6 months.

I've already gone through a power steering pump also. I have a feeling I'll be spending a lot more time with my local service department, before the end of my warranty. :headscratch:

Ken

I have a date with my Ford dealer next Monday to get my scoop and stripes replaced. I need to get the hood pin lanyards looked at (they're rusted badly), along with the pony emblem (which now has 1/2 the original paint), the grill (which is pitting badly), my driver's rocker panel (which has been loose and sticking out since the day I bought it), and windshield washer fluid pump (which doesn't work anymore). I've owned my SGT for 6 months.

I've already gone through a power steering pump also. I have a feeling I'll be spending a lot more time with my local service department, before the end of my warranty. :headscratch:

Ken

Interesting that you have that corrosion in CA, I just looked at a used 2007 on the local Ford dealers lot with about 10K miles. The grille, hood pins, grille emblem looked terrible from corrosion. The hood pin area also had visible bubbling on the hood paint. The car could have been used in either one or two MI winters. Really looked bad. The scoop was warped really bad, worse than mine.

I also forgot, the SHELBY letters on the deck lid were corroded too

Edited by khogle2