TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Limited Quantities?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

07Shelby, with that nickname I can understand.

Ok, I call HTT tonight and ask him to only offer GT500 to members of this forum with more then 18 posts. Talk about exclusive. ;)

Oh sorry, you are at 16. :D lol

Now Patrick, Goldmember, the day before Yesterday you were somewhere at 11 Posts I believe?!!?

The next contest, on this site, will be for the Person that has eaten the Most Herring and eel, drank the most Bols, driven the most kilometers in Wooden Shoes and has visited the most Coffee Houses in Amsterdam!

Wait....., I win the last requirement!!

Proost my Friend!! :D

You know all the Dutch goodies by head. You win by far, good friend.

Ever been here? And then we have to go back to topic again.

JP, I've been to the Netherlands 3 times. Hertogenbosch and Veghel in 90', Rotterdam in 96' and Veghel again in 03'. Mostly work related but some fun too! I work for Mars. Had some great times. Very friendly and helpful people. Especially so, when they realize that you're a Canadian.

There are many people of Dutch descent in Canada. Mostly imigrated in the late 40s, 50s and 60s.

Take Care Friend

Dave.

Has anyone heard or read how many they will be producing yet for each model? (Coupe/Vert.)

My local dealer has NO info & claims we know more than they do about options & pricing before they do.

Well folks.... I'm back from the Auto Show In Detroit & I'm ready to give a report. I was their just after the doors opened & I went straight to the FORD camp display. Apon my arival in this massive display, I looked for the biggest crowd around, I then proceeded to walked over to that area, and what do I see, a white 2007 Mustang Shelby GT 500 w/blue metallic vinal stripes spinning around on a turn table.....where nobody could touch it! That's right, where nobody could touch it, sit in it or open the hood. :(

I then asked where the red Shelby GT 500 convertable was.....they said " they took it back to the shop yesterday before the public viewing". I asked why & they didn't seem to know why.

So from that point forward I had to just stare at it as it rotated around for what seemed liked hours (who knows, I lost track of time at that point) studying ever little detail I could. I took lots of photos that I will post after I get the 35mm film developed.

I asked the all mighty question of HOW MANY WILL BE MADE? and NOT to my surprise I got different answers from each.

Lets review them shall we:

Lady in the morning spinning on the platform w/the car - said " between 9k to 14k

Guy in the late afternoon spinning on the platform w/the car - said " between 8k to 10k

Guy handing out lititure carrying bags that works at the Mustang plant - said " Ford is considering NOT making this a limited production car & is looking at making as many as the markets wants & we have room on the production line for up to 40,000 more cars!"

"As of matter of fact, we are building the first Twelve (12) Shelby's this month for Executives & CEO’s to drive and test the reliability of the car & give minor suggestions on changes before going into full production as of JUNE 12th. " He also indicated that most of the Shelby GT 500's will be built first before the other models come out.

I then asked when can I place an order? and was told that dealers are taking down payments right now but they are not giving you a filanlized price so you may have to pay a little more when it comes in & we have heard as mucj as 25K above MSRP. But if you wait until March, all pricing will be finallized & you will know excactly how much it will be & how many will be made.

Take this information for what it is worth but the bottom line is ....What color do I want, is it a vert or not & what color stripes to put on it. All-in-all, I was very happy to finally see for my own eyes the car I have been wanting so long for to go in my every 10 year stable of mustangs. (1987 GT, 1997 SVT, 2007 Shelby)

So does it look like a $40000US car? Were you happy with the the height, tire stance, etc.....?

Does it look unique, or can it be mistaken for a Mustang GT?

Does it look like a 40k car?

No, it looks like it should be 35k for the coupe & 40k for the convertible.

Was I happy with the the height, tire stance, etc.....?

Oh Yes! the tires were sucked up into the tire wells like it had a 1 1/2" to 2" lowering kit on it, plus the 18" rims/tires looked Good, but the rims could have been chromed/polished a little more.

To the average yahoo, Yes, they would call it a Mustang GT. But for those of us who have an keen eye on what styling cues to look for, it won't be a problem spotting this stout looking powerhouse pony car.

Does it look like a 40k car?

No, it looks like it should be 35k for the coupe & 40k for the convertible.

Was I happy with the the height, tire stance, etc.....?

Oh Yes! the tires were sucked up into the tire wells like it had a 1 1/2" to 2" lowering kit on it, plus the 18" rims/tires looked Good, but the rims could have been chromed/polished a little more.

To the average yahoo, Yes, they would call it a Mustang GT. But for those of us who have an keen eye on what styling cues to look for, it won't be a problem spotting this stout looking powerhouse pony car.

Now, are saying it LOOKS like a $35k car, or are you saying you were told it should be around $35k MSRP?

KingCobra.

Now, are saying it LOOKS like a $35k car, or are you saying you were told it should be around $35k MSRP?

KingCobra.

To me it looks like someone spent an extra 5k changing the hood, rims, brakes, and transmission to make it look like a 35k car (base price coupe). Then they change the front fascia (Nose/Bumper) & throw on a regular & small looking Shelby emblem on the left side of the rear trunk lid but then tell you the starting base price is 40k for the coupe & 45k for the convertible.

If you took out the Motor/Trans what do you have left??? A Normal, Stock, 2006/2007 Mustang GT…..

Yeah, I would say they want to maximize their profits off a pretty much stock platform car that can be built numerous ways to please all budget levels (V-6 to Supercharged) without re-tooling the assembly line.

I may be #2 on my local dealers list, but if they try to charge more than M.S.R.P., I’ll wait till the hype settles down.

Well, my dealer just called me (about 10 min's ago)...returned my call after about a week. No slight to him, he was off for a few days.

He said that I'm still #1 on the list for a convertible (out of 70!), but that the owner can't guarantee that I will get @ sticker. This is a very special car with lower production than expected. So, I told him not to take me off the list yet, but I won't pay over sticker...and that I think he may be surprised at the production numbers when announced. Yeah, that news made me real happy. Happy Monday.......... :angry:

I hope a lot of dealers will be surprised by the many people that refuse to pay over MSRP. If we all do and withstand, we succeed in our efforts.

The other side of it is that there is a rumor out there that Ford is considering making as many as are ordered, and I told him that. Silence. We'll have to see! B)

Well, my dealer just called me (about 10 min's ago)...returned my call after about a week. No slight to him, he was off for a few days.

He said that I'm still #1 on the list for a convertible (out of 70!), but that the owner can't guarantee that I will get @ sticker. This is a very special car with lower production than expected. So, I told him not to take me off the list yet, but I won't pay over sticker...and that I think he may be surprised at the production numbers when announced. Yeah, that news made me real happy. Happy Monday.......... :angry:

Talk about getting kicked in the nads... :angry:

I feel your pain. Just to make you feel better I'll have a drink for you later. It may not do much for you but it will make me feel better..

Points to ponder:

1. I understand the Barrett-Jackson auction fetched $600K for the right to buy the first Shelby.

2. Tomorrow Ford announces huge cutbacks in order to stay afloat. Why would it not build as many of any product as it can sell. Should it really care about exclusivity?

3. Remember the Ford GT. Those who really want one can now buy it for MSRP or close. Will the Shelby follow the GT and the Thunderbird down that path?

Stay calm. See what happens.

The wild card is the price of gasoline. If it goes up high enough, you might be able to get one well below MSRP.

I beg to differ. The typical guy that is buying a GT500 doesn't give a hoot about the price of gas. Sure, there are a couple guys who can barely afford to get a GT500 that will get a GT500 somehow, someway, and they'll make the car a daily driver. That's the guy that will dread going to the pump to fill up, but that vast majority of GT500 buyers can afford whatever the oil companies charge and many of the GT500's will be driven infrequently so fuel costs don't have quite the impact as you suggest.

Time = Money....

The guy that has to have an early GT500 is gonna pay more - fact.

The patient guy who can wait a year or two will be able to get a late 2007 or 2008 GT500 for closer to MSRP, maybe even below MSRP if you wait long enough and search hard enough.

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Jan 25 2006, 01:14 PM) 2880[/snapback]

I beg to differ. The typical guy that is buying a GT500 doesn't give a hoot about the price of gas. Sure, there are a couple guys who can barely afford to get a GT500 that will get a GT500 somehow, someway, and they'll make the car a daily driver. That's the guy that will dread going to the pump to fill up, but that vast majority of GT500 buyers can afford whatever the oil companies charge and many of the GT500's will be driven infrequently so fuel costs don't have quite the impact as you suggest.

Time = Money....

The patient guy who can wait a year or two will be able to get a late 2007 or 2008 GT500 for closer to MSRP, maybe even below MSRP if you wait long enough and search hard enough.

I hate to disagree with someone who is obviously much smarter than I. However, I suspect that the fringe willing to pay $10K or more over MSRP for this unit is a minority compared to the number of real-world potential buyers. Furthermore, I don't think you can call members of this fringe "typical" buyers.

Once they're cleared out, most of the rest of your potential buyers (the majority/typical guys) will give at least one hoot and maybe even two hoots about the price of gas.

If the price of gas goes up high enough, the purported production run of 10,000 units might end up being 6,000 or maybe even less.

The price of gas is twice as expensive over here then in the US. I spend 1 fill up = 100 Euro = $122 every week allready. This car will be my weekend toy and then I don't care at all what it costs.

But I can imagine that people really do care when you have to commute every day. A lot of people still have to work for the money (me too, I have no special tree in the garden to harvest on).

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Jan 25 2006, 01:14 PM) 2880[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Time = Money....

I hate to disagree with someone who is obviously much smarter than I. However, I suspect that the fringe willing to pay $10K or more over MSRP for this unit is a minority compared to the number of real-world potential buyers. Furthermore, I don't think you can call members of this fringe "typical" buyers.

Once they're cleared out, most of the rest of your potential buyers (the majority/typical guys) will give at least one hoot and maybe even two hoots about the price of gas.

If the price of gas goes up high enough, the purported production run of 10,000 units might end up being 6,000 or maybe even less.

IMO, This is not wishful thinking....I have to agree with Lawdude on this. As many times as a "special" car comes out (Ford GT,Viper, Z06, etc), the fringe takes the hit. Even the Viper & Ford GT- which is in very limited quantities on it's own speialized chassis- has come down to earth. With a car that is based on a common platform (ie: the Z06 & Shelby GT500), that happens much more quickly. There is not as much differentiation between those cars and their lesser siblings. Add to that the fact that the production numbers are much higher, and you have mark-up being unsustainable for any long run.

Look at the Ford GT. Very exclusive, yet dealers are already marking them down (I saw one on Fordgtprices.com for $8k under list). I'm not too worried. I can wait. The only things that would throw a monkey wrench into this are if Ford decided to severely limit production (unlikely since they need the $$$, and this car will be profitible, or they wouldn't build it in the first place); or if they uncover some massive issue with production and have to stop it short, and then economics make the car unfeasible to build/produce/sell anymore. Another highly unlikely scenario. Sooooooo, to make a long diatribe a little shorter.......

I can wait. No MSRP for ME!!! B)

I am going to agree with Five 0 on this one....sort of.

This car for me is going to be a weekend warrior. Therefore if and when I drive it I will not care about the fuel issue. For example, when I drive my other Mustang I have actually gone through an entire tank of fuel in 160 miles while racing it.... When I am at the drags I pay 3.00 per litre for the C12. That translates to approximately 12.00 per gallon. This car will be no different. My moto with a weekend warrior is "YOU GOTTA PAY TO PLAY" Having said that if this were a daily driver my attitude would be different for sure. I bought an F150 Crewcab and chose a 2wd with a 4.6 rather than a 5.4 4x4 because I put about 40000 miles on the truck per year and 2 mpg does make a difference.

Gas prices for this car is not an issue, it's not a daily driver for me. I amost got a little depressed at the numbers of people willing to pay $10,000 over list, that's out of my leauge. But I still remember what HTT said back last June in Autoweek that he would build as many GT500s as people would buy. And 10,000 cars is a lot for this type of auto. There may be a 1000 or 2 willing to pay those markups but the rest will go a lot more reasonably priced. I figure about Feb next year should be the time to start looking hard for the car, if not I'll order a 2008 and maybe have it that Aug.

Sounds like we are all on the same page now. The guys who have to have a GT500 now will pay extra to get it. The patient guys will eventually get the deal they want as supply catches demand. Most GT500's will be weekend warriors, so gas pricing is not a big factor for this type of car. For those of you who plan to use your GT500 as a daily driver, then gas will cost a lot, but I'm sure very few of you are going to drive them as commuter cars.

Archived