TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Bored............I installed the Fay's 2 last evening

SOLD!!! I get it now!

After driving my SGT a little with all the uneven pavement seams on Minnesota roadways and going around freeway cloverleaf corners, I get it. This seems like it will do the trick and it's something that I can install myself. After seeing all the photos of it - it looks like it's supposed to be under there as part of our suspension upgrade on the SGT! And if I have any questions about the install, I've got all y'all to bail me out!! :blink:

All you need to do is ask. Help is just a forum, e-mail or phone call away. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Roger

My fays is installed, had a minor glitch but all is good, I will fine tune it sunday when I can use a lift, Iam too big to work on my back. Rick

If I havn't told you yet I installed my Fays 2 , and I did adjust it , because I only had the rear wheels with weight on them in my garage , itwas the only way I could lift it . I had the rears on my Race ramps , and Jacke the car and put stands under the frame rails , this gave me room to work under the car but I could not set the turn barels perfectly . Plus I had recent carpal tunnel surgery on my right hand so I couldn't realy get the right torques. It still handeled better , and 4 days later I used the Vandenberg Air Force Base auto hobbie shop (12 bays 4 wheel lifts , all the tools you could want, clean , and only a couple people there "Heaven" I could stand up and work) to make final adjustments , and torque down all the bolts. I spent alot of time driving twisty mountain road here , andcould not find any problems with the install . Ther maybe a little more noise , but looking for it leaves me to belive it the exhaust system , the Fays operates smooth with no clunks or noises over speed bumps or intersection dips , or in turns.

I then took it to Willow Springs , and it was great on the big track .I think the car even rides better , you get more improvment in the street ride of the car with the Fays when you are running the 20" wheels , I think .

Next is a SPEC Aluminum Fly wheel , and Stage 2 Clutch , should be a nice match for the Aluminum Drive shaft , I am trying to lighten everthing , then may be change the throttle body? I am going to Thunder Hill in June , and Willow again Sept....................ZDS

My turn. I used the $9 dial level from Home Depot. I had my driveway specially designed to put the car level once it's on the ramps, highly recommended.

No, they don't come in Ford Blue, but they sell paint in the store that will make it Ford Blue. There are a few spots where I need to touch up the POR-15 after removing the panhard and brace. I also need to touch up the blue bits where it got whacked with those big ranches I was having so much fun waving around.

In the third pic from the top, notice the cam stop on the sway bar hangar nut. It is now bumped up against the Watts frame. That has to come off in order for the Watts frame to line up - that was the only part of the instructions that were not perfectly clear (although he sort of mentioned it). The cam will bump against the Watts frame when re-installed.

That's the first suspension mod. It will be a touch act to follow, it's really a subtle, but amazing difference. The highways here are concrete, and have the bumps and side to side waviness built in that made the Shelby wiggle all over. Now its like driving on brand new asphalt. On the transition from 400 to 85, which has always been a white-knuckle experience in any car - smooth as a baby's butt. THAT made me break out in a grin. I was able to hit a ramp at speed, and no wiggle, bumps or hops going over expansion joints.

Jumping on it, I got a very subdued wheel hop. Much better, but not entirely gone. Before, with T/C left on, it was downright violent. Now, it's actually tolerable.

DSC01419.jpg

DSC01422.jpg

DSC01423.jpg

DSC01424.jpg

DSC01429.jpg

DSC01430.jpg

DSC01434.jpg

DSC01436.jpg

DSC01437.jpg

Oh, one other thing. My car off-center by about 1/4" to the right. When I took off the panhard, the car centered. Ta-Da!!!

I even took pictures of the re-centered car and everything after the installation. After I backed off the ramps, it was back where it was, 1/4" off center.

Damn.

Anyway, I figure I'm going to have to redo the Watts alignment when I lower the car, so I'll re-adjust at that time.

Archived