TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Paxton S/C

Hi ShelbyPilot, I've seen you on here a lot and have admired your SGTSC. I am seriously deciding on installing a supercharger but am having a hard time convincing myself that I want the Paxton. I have found a really good installer here in my area that I would have no problem going with. I just would like your opinion on the way your power feels and if it brings a smile to your face when you tickle the gas a tad. I have been leaning towards the twin screw for a while now until I visited Tampa Bay Shelby and saw the quality they put into the install. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Man this is a hard decision.

Maybe one of these days, we'll see equally matched Paxtons, Whipples, maybe even a few Kenne Bells face off on the 1320.

Then you will know...

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I get a big smile every time the RPMs climb toward 3000. Any supercharger is well worth it. I prefer the Paxton for the heritage, look, and endless power. I can't see needing what if any lower end gain by the Whipple. However, I have never had the chance to drive one either. I had my car out on the interior road course of California Speedway this last weekend. It was a blast and lots of power. I did have to learn how to get the car down to 2nd for the slow turns to pull out of the hole. Once I did and kept my RPMs up there was nobody in my group getting away from me. I even went up a group and was holding my own. An instructor who rode with me at the end of the day suggested bigger gears. He drives a 500 HP terminator with 4.10s.

Yes, Steve quoted me $6600 for the satin version and $6800 for the polished, installed. If you see the installation job they do you'll think your getting a bargain. These guys are all about attention to details. I guess that's why they are a CSX Cobra builder. When your paying $150K to $200K you expect the best. That's what has me so high on these guys. I was for the longest time going with the Kenne Bell. I still can get one installed for the same basic price structure but when you see the work that these guys are doing it's a no brainer to go with them. I'm just hoping for me and them that they get completely certified as a mod shop which is in the works. Don't worry Ill be posting a lot about how this install goes. I'm very stoked about the whole process. To tell you the truth, I was really wavering about even doing a supercharger install because I didn't want just any install shop doing my Shelby. Once I met with these guys and saw what they are doing and picked my jaw up off of the ground just being around real aluminum Cobras. I knew that I had found the people who are going to be doing the work for me.

Don

Don,

Do you have any info about what exactly they are doing different for the install??? Any Pictures that you can supply or photos on their website somewhere?? I'm curious about this. I too am like ShelbyPilot and like the heritage of the Shelby/Paxton mix. I would just like to cover all my bases and do the proper research about this before I pull the trigger on the power adder for my SGT.

Trevor

Don,

Do you have any info about what exactly they are doing different for the install??? Any Pictures that you can supply or photos on their website somewhere?? I'm curious about this. I too am like ShelbyPilot and like the heritage of the Shelby/Paxton mix. I would just like to cover all my bases and do the proper research about this before I pull the trigger on the power adder for my SGT.

Trevor

Trevor,

Mostly the changes to their installation have to do with routing of the hoses, mounting of the Diablo tuner and just general care in making sure that nothing will rub after long term usage. Unfortunately, their web site is pretty lame. I even told Steve that it was but who cares, I'm not buying a web site I'm buying quality in the installation and long term reliability. They had pictures but it was on their office computer. I asked Steve to post them on his site but he's a busy man. I'll be there tomorrow so I'll ask them if they can post pictures on their site.

They re-routed most of the hoses around the back of the supercharger and intercooler and installed the radiator hose between the intercooler and the Novi 1200. They custom fabricate the inlet to account for the different bend needed for the hose. Besides that they take great care tying up all the hoses and wires so they don't interfere with the drive belt. He was showing me how close the belt comes to some of the assemblies. They also make a bracket that mounts the Diablo next to the charger. It looks good their. Overall it has to do with them taking the time to think about the installation and making it better rather than just following the instructions as provided. That's the sign of a good shop in my opinion.

By the way, I've changed my mind and have them installing the Shelby supplied Ford Racing Whipple instead of the Paxton. Steve and Tampa Bay Shelby are going to do it official so hopefully I'll be able to get it registered and the GT/SC stripe. I personally just want the low end power of the PD over the Paxton. I've driven both and the PD just gets it done for me. Good luck and really the best thing to do is call Shelby and see if there are any approved installation shops in your area. I didn't even know about these guys until I called Shelby. Now they are the only ones I'd have doing the install.

Don

'Rumor has it that they are going to authorise an installer in Miami', umm, who do you have in mind? I lived down here for 32 years and there is no one down here qualified except Steeda to do anything! I know the other so called 'Mustang Shops', but for Shelby to use, no one.

I was in Vegas two weeks ago and asked that question myself. I have #273 and I want to have a S/C installed. I was told that they are looking at someone in Miami, and if it does happen, it probably won't be until the end of this year. :banghead: I'm getting pretty anxious.

Trevor,

Mostly the changes to their installation have to do with routing of the hoses, mounting of the Diablo tuner and just general care in making sure that nothing will rub after long term usage. Unfortunately, their web site is pretty lame. I even told Steve that it was but who cares, I'm not buying a web site I'm buying quality in the installation and long term reliability. They had pictures but it was on their office computer. I asked Steve to post them on his site but he's a busy man. I'll be there tomorrow so I'll ask them if they can post pictures on their site.

They re-routed most of the hoses around the back of the supercharger and intercooler and installed the radiator hose between the intercooler and the Novi 1200. They custom fabricate the inlet to account for the different bend needed for the hose. Besides that they take great care tying up all the hoses and wires so they don't interfere with the drive belt. He was showing me how close the belt comes to some of the assemblies. They also make a bracket that mounts the Diablo next to the charger. It looks good their. Overall it has to do with them taking the time to think about the installation and making it better rather than just following the instructions as provided. That's the sign of a good shop in my opinion.

By the way, I've changed my mind and have them installing the Shelby supplied Ford Racing Whipple instead of the Paxton. Steve and Tampa Bay Shelby are going to do it official so hopefully I'll be able to get it registered and the GT/SC stripe. I personally just want the low end power of the PD over the Paxton. I've driven both and the PD just gets it done for me. Good luck and really the best thing to do is call Shelby and see if there are any approved installation shops in your area. I didn't even know about these guys until I called Shelby. Now they are the only ones I'd have doing the install.

Don

Don,

:happy feet:

Thanks for all the input. I was in Vegas two weeks ago and they told me that the Florida MOD shop wouldn't be on line until the end of this year. This is a nice suprise. Can you furnish me TBS's telephone number and address? I live in Central Florida and this is what I have been waiting for. I would like to pay them a visit myself. I too am torn between which S/C to go with. I'm not a racer, but I would like to have it there when I want to play. The registration and stripe is important to me as well. One of the Vegas techs told me they have a SGT with a whipple on it. They don't like to talk about it much, but they say it blows the doors off the stock GT500's on the track. Nice to know.

Keep us posted.

Joe :superhero

Don,

:happy feet:

Thanks for all the input. I was in Vegas two weeks ago and they told me that the Florida MOD shop wouldn't be on line until the end of this year. This is a nice suprise. Can you furnish me TBS's telephone number and address? I live in Central Florida and this is what I have been waiting for. I would like to pay them a visit myself. I too am torn between which S/C to go with. I'm not a racer, but I would like to have it there when I want to play. The registration and stripe is important to me as well. One of the Vegas techs told me they have a SGT with a whipple on it. They don't like to talk about it much, but they say it blows the doors off the stock GT500's on the track. Nice to know.

Keep us posted.

Joe :superhero

Hi Joe,

Here is the phone number for their shop: (727) 545-1572 or toll-free at (888) 545-1571. Type in Tampa Bay Shelby on Google and it provides the address and a map as the first entry. They also have a web page but it is really lame. Don't go by that when thinking about their shop. It is top notch. http://www.tampabayshelby.com. When you see what they have in their shop, the work they do and talk to Steve, Kevin and Fred you'll know what I mean.

I am just waiting for them to call me and tell me my Whipple is in. It is in transit and I'm expecting it's arrival today. Hope to have them starting the install next week. I'm pumped.

I almost went with the Paxton after I saw how clean their install was and drove one but I just had to go with the Whipple for the low end and the looks, for me.

I have been trying to spread the word on this shop but I figured I'd wait until I had pictures of my install to show before I cranked up the praise. I suggested to Steve that they should talk on this forum as a way to let folks in the area know that they even existed. So he will be happy to know that their is interest from others.

Good luck and let me know what you think when you talk to them.

Don

Hi Joe,

Here is the phone number for their shop: (727) 545-1572 or toll-free at (888) 545-1571. Type in Tampa Bay Shelby on Google and it provides the address and a map as the first entry. They also have a web page but it is really lame. Don't go by that when thinking about their shop. It is top notch. http://www.tampabayshelby.com. When you see what they have in their shop, the work they do and talk to Steve, Kevin and Fred you'll know what I mean.

I am just waiting for them to call me and tell me my Whipple is in. It is in transit and I'm expecting it's arrival today. Hope to have them starting the install next week. I'm pumped.

I almost went with the Paxton after I saw how clean their install was and drove one but I just had to go with the Whipple for the low end and the looks, for me.

I have been trying to spread the word on this shop but I figured I'd wait until I had pictures of my install to show before I cranked up the praise. I suggested to Steve that they should talk on this forum as a way to let folks in the area know that they even existed. So he will be happy to know that their is interest from others.

Don

Will the new Kenne Bell have the same kind of low end response as the Whipple? I'm going to get the KB since the intercooled version is compatible with the automatic, although I'm starting to consider that I might get it done to the 5-speed and let the auto go.

Hi Joe,

Don

Don,

I'm excited for you!!! :happy feet: I too will be there soon, I hope. Thanks for the info. I plan on giving them a visit in the next couple of weeks. Looking forward to the pics. Do me a favor, PM me when you get it done so I don't accidently miss your post. Thanks again and good luck.

Joe

Archived