TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rear Stripe overlap failure....better check yours !!!

Grabber

Did you have the side painted as well? If not, how do they match up with the bright white?

What did it cost to have yours painted?

Yep. Everything is paint. Bids ranged from $2000 to $3000. I paid $2400 from Custom Painted Vehicles near Kenosha WI. www.cpvehicles.com

The paint is brighter white than the vinyl stripes. No yellow in the mix. It's blue instead. Very vivid.

I didn't want to make the trip all the way to Terry at Proglass. While the guys at CPV did a great job, now that I've seen (and big time invested in) Terry's work, I wish I'd have gone to him first. Plus I'd have had the first KR type hood, but Fatchile beat me to the mark!

In the end, I paid twice because I bought Terry's hood and had him paint the stripes (the hood, both inside and outside/top and bottom) again. Ya live, ya learn. If you ever get a chance to have this guy do work for you, do it.

bj

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll buy one of them hi-resolution crystal balls :hysterical:

I'd send you one, but I'm missing one since my first marriage.

:hysterical:

bj

Give it some time there jumpy.

...and when you inspect them, look *real* close.

Grampa eyes won't cut it. :hysterical2:

I'm sure you are right. The stripes are more likely to crack in cooler temperatures IMO, I'm going to be careful when washing/waxing that area. If mine crack, I'll throw the new set in the basement and it's my nephew's problem someday.

On the contrary....there's always THIS option:

post-2868-1204519930_thumb.jpg

PAINT them on! The vinyl on these cars abosolutely sucks. The bias cuts look like my grandkids did them. They were the first thing to go on my car (with the help of some hoodlums that chucked a piece of asphalt onto my hood from a railroad overpass).

Grabber, who told you there was a clear component to these stripes?

FORD replaced my front hood and bumper stripes as well as the splitter the week I picked it up because the bias-cut overlaps on the front bumper didn't come close to matching up and the hood stripes were off center. The splitter had "trucker rash" from a hambone throwing it on and off the truck. It was FILTHY when it came to the dealership. Rust colored mud everywhere. My car was built 6/27/06, but was in stripe hell for a month over at Mazda. When they finally came back off July 4th hiatus they were WAY behind on striping cars. They were piled up at AAI waiting to be driven down the street for stripes. There were lots of them at that time that looked like crap because they were rushed. My buddy at FoMoCo said they were inundated with calls complaining about them.

Initially, you (or the dealers) couldn't buy separate pieces of the stripe kit. You bought it all or nothing. I have the entire kit that was left over from mine. IF anyone get pieces replaced, look them over VERY carefully. There have been minor color mis-matches from dye-lot to dye-lot. It's the amount of yellow that's in the white.

PAINT em. They made 10,000 of these cars.....any car that's been driven won't be worth more than one paid for it, ever. So mod away kids....it won't matter. Enjoy it to the fullest!!!

bj

There may be 10,000 of these cars, but not in original condition. It is very expensive to duplicate original. Another thing to consider is this comparison: There are thousands of millionaires in the United States, and a million dollars is still very nice to have. My car doesn't get used as a daily driver because that would be a waste IMO. When you go through the trouble and expense of restoring a car, you develop an appreciation for original. I enjoy my car to the fullest and don't have to drive it all the time or modify everything, I simply open the garage door and am in awe of the baddest production Mustang to date . One last point, if people would pay their car off before modifying and save some of that mod money, they would have a lot better chance of keeping the darn thing through tough times. Just my opinions, I'm not telling anyone how to enjoy their car or what the future value will be.

There may be 10,000 of these cars, but not in original condition. It is very expensive to duplicate original. Another thing to consider is this comparison: There are thousands of millionaires in the United States, and a million dollars is still very nice to have. My car doesn't get used as a daily driver because that would be a waste IMO. When you go through the trouble and expense of restoring a car, you develop an appreciation for original. I enjoy my car to the fullest and don't have to drive it all the time or modify everything, I simply open the garage door and am in awe of the baddest production Mustang to date . One last point, if people would pay their car off before modifying and save some of that mod money, they would have a lot better chance of keeping the darn thing through tough times. Just my opinions, I'm not telling anyone how to enjoy their car or what the future value will be.

I am not saving my car for someone else to enjoy. This car will not be worth more than early market value as long as you or I are alive.

EVERY mile I put on this car is a treasure. ESPECIALLY the ones I put on it driving to and from work. BECAUSE I CAN. It is NOT a waste.

There are many here that would agree with me that your stashing the car away or 'saving it' for some day is the real waste. Different strokes.

I am not saving my car for someone else to enjoy. This car will not be worth more than early market value as long as you or I are alive.

EVERY mile I put on this car is a treasure. ESPECIALLY the ones I put on it driving to and from work. BECAUSE I CAN. It is NOT a waste.

There are many here that would agree with me that your stashing the car away or 'saving it' for some day is the real waste. Different strokes.

I understand your point of veiw. I live in the Midwest, plenty of snow and salt. So if I don't want it to be a rust bucket in 5 years, can't drive it in the winter. Some guys don't care I guess.

I too have this prob......frount and rear at the overlap...............

Dave,

You have an eye for detail. You know what to look for and found the problem.

It's a warranty claim.

I am sure that most of the cars have this cracking occurring on the stripe overlap, or will have. It is very hard to see unless you look real close.

Keep in mind that paint and stripes are only covered for 3 years.

I understand your point of veiw. I live in the Midwest, plenty of snow and salt. So if I don't want it to be a rust bucket in 5 years, can't drive it in the winter. Some guys don't care I guess.

Whatchu sayin' Willis? :dance:

I'd be glad to get mine out of the office parking lot and into my own garage! When it isn't snowing up here, it's wet and salty. This blows.

Where's Al Gore when I need a little global warming?

bj

Keep in mind that paint and stripes are only covered for 3 years.

Wow..............at least they're finally willing to warranty their shoddy work.

When my Mustang was a year old, the paint began falling off the car. Yes, falling off. It was mainly around the rear license plate, and in several sections on the roof. This was clearly a problem with the way the paint was applied (you should SEE the dirt in that paint job) and the way the car was prepped. When I fought it out with Ford, they first tried to tell me that it was from "driving the car in the elements". My reply was "*If* I was driving the car in the elements, I still wouldn't expect the basecoat to fall off of the metal. However, this car is stored winters, and doesn't even get driven in RAIN". :censored: So, they slept on it till I kept bugging them, and they ended up not doing a damn thing about it. Due to quality work like this, I have a 13 year old car with under 36,000 miles on the clock that will require a complete repaint before I even dream of taking it back to the show and shines. Lovely.

Keep on their asses, Rob. Don't stop until you get results.

I know the problem. It is dry rotting because it is not exposed to humidity. Take it out and drive it once in a while, instead of putting it in a bubble. :hysterical:

Sorry Grabber. I couldn't resist! Seriously though. I trust you will make the right decisions regarding stripe replacement, etc. Good luck with it.

:hysterical2:

bad john :chairshot:

:hysterical2:

Rob, I can't see squat in those pics. Where is the Hubble when you need it? Hey wait...Hubble rhymes with "bubble". :hysterical3:

Wow..............at least they're finally willing to warranty their shoddy work.

When my Mustang was a year old, the paint began falling off the car. Yes, falling off. It was mainly around the rear license plate, and in several sections on the roof. This was clearly a problem with the way the paint was applied (you should SEE the dirt in that paint job) and the way the car was prepped. When I fought it out with Ford, they first tried to tell me that it was from "driving the car in the elements". My reply was "*If* I was driving the car in the elements, I still wouldn't expect the basecoat to fall off of the metal. However, this car is stored winters, and doesn't even get driven in RAIN". :censored: So, they slept on it till I kept bugging them, and they ended up not doing a damn thing about it. Due to quality work like this, I have a 13 year old car with under 36,000 miles on the clock that will require a complete repaint before I even dream of taking it back to the show and shines. Lovely.

Keep on their asses, Rob. Don't stop until you get results.

YOU MEAN GT500?

Can you give more details, like was it the strips or actual paint?

I would think that you have a slam dunk case for the paint issue, never heard of something similar.

I know they will.

It will be the 6th warranty item added to my Oasis report.

I love the car and all the repairs have turned out great.....it's just that this is costing Ford a ton of money.

Hey Grabber, sorry to hear about the stripes. I will have to check mine tomorrow. Curious, would you mind listing the 6 items on your list, or at least the other 5, since we know what one of the items is!

Thanks

Frank

I like the idea of painted on stripes. Some day I will have it done. When I do, they will go in Gloss Black.

You helped us so many times now so I can give you hopefully a little bit back. If you are not sure how black stripes on a Grabber looks like I have some pictures for you. A man here in Switzerland repainted his car to a "Harley Davidson" version (good idea, isn't it). If you want more pictures, PN me your private E-Mail address.

Thomas

post-5140-1205750852_thumb.jpg

post-5140-1205750852_thumb.jpg

You helped us so many times now so I can give you hopefully a little bit back. If you are not sure how black stripes on a Grabber looks like I have some pictures for you. A man here in Switzerland repainted his car to a "Harley Davidson" version (good idea, isn't it). If you want more pictures, PN me your private E-Mail address.

Thomas

That looks great. Thanks.

Bumper-to-Bumper Coverage.

Covered:

• Any repairs necessary due to a defect in material or workmanship

with the exception of the items listed under “What is Not Covered.”

NOTE: Customers must report any pre-existing chips, scratches, dents,

or dings (which may have been overlooked during the predelivery

inspection) within one week of the new vehicle delivery date. Claims will

not be accepted in ACES II for these repairs made after one month in

service. For these repairs:

1) Dealerships must determine who is responsible for any chip,

scratches, dents or dings brought to their attention by the customer within one week of vehicle delivery.

2) The portion of the pre-delivery inspection procedure which covers

touch up or buffing of minor chips or scratches and repairs that are

required because of improper storage or damage that occurs while the

vehicle is in dealership storage are the responsibility of the dealership

and are not reimbursable by Ford.

3) All repairs which are not the responsibility of the customer or the

dealerships should be submitted to Ford.

4) When using Ford Service Labor Time Standard paint labor operations

that end in a “C”, time for the removal of paint using machine sand or

plastic media blast is included. Extra time for chemical stripping is not

included.

5) The Ford Service Labor Time Standard Labor Operations include an

allowance to “blend” the paint to one adjacent vertical panel. Additional

time for blending is not allowed.

For damage caused by airborne material (environmental fallout) - where

there is no factory-related defect involved and therefore no warranty -

Ford Motor Company’s policy is to cover paint damage due to airborne

material for 12 months/12,000 miles, whichever occurs first. The policy

covers vehicles:

• Received damaged from carriers

• In-dealer stock

• Sold and in possession of owners

What is Not Covered:

• Paint damage caused by conditions such as chips, scratches, dents,

dings, nicks, bird droppings, tree sap, hail or other “acts of nature”

that are not reported by the customer within one week of the new

vehicle delivery date as outlined above.

• Damages due to collision, accident damage or owner abuse.

.Normal paint deterioration due to exposure

Ford is covering my stripes. They were ordered over 3 weeks ago. 7 of the 8 pieces are in. The last piece is holing up the repair. I only need 4 pieces, but they ordered the others just in case.

I think they are backed up on striping gt500 in MI

cold weather :cold: has a big affect on how long it takes also. the cars metal has to be a certain temp before they can apply them at the "Foreign Assembly plant" where 75% of the striping takes place. The new in house striping machine still has some bugs to be worked out the last I heard.

Archived