TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Gas fill problems

STLShelby

My wife's 06 GT is sporadic and only does it once in a while. It hasn't been enough of a problem yet to worry about. My Shelby is real bad. I have problems every time i try to put gas in it. I moved to 3 different pumps today and couldn't get it to take, kept clicking off. I talked my Ford dealer, and they said Ford tech told them to try lowering the bracket with a spacer that holds the fill tube which helps, and to tell people to fill on the slowest setting. I can't even get to the slowest fill setting without it clicking off. They said there's no official fix from Ford since the 06 & 07's are supposed have the revised gas tank, although it's still a problem. Guess i'll have them try the back yard fix and see if that helps.They said some are worse than others, guess i got one of the bad ones.

My wife's 06 GT is sporadic and only does it once in a while. It hasn't been enough of a problem yet to worry about. My Shelby is real bad. I have problems every time i try to put gas in it. I moved to 3 different pumps today and couldn't get it to take, kept clicking off. I talked my Ford dealer, and they said Ford tech told them to try lowering the bracket with a spacer that holds the fill tube which helps, and to tell people to fill on the slowest setting. I can't even get to the slowest fill setting without it clicking off. They said there's no official fix from Ford since the 06 & 07's are supposed have the revised gas tank, although it's still a problem. Guess i'll have them try the back yard fix and see if that helps.They said some are worse than others, guess i got one of the bad ones.

I have had this problem on other vehicles and I've always found the solution is to not stick the nozzle in but about about 1/4 way instead of all the way.

There was a TSB on this issue on these when they came out in 05....mustang GT's I mean...and I recall seeing some here and there on 06's. Once in a while I have issues with mine. If it were me Id tell the service guy to look up the TSB and have him fix it. Why would someone tell a customer to fix his own warrantied car that has a known issue?? meatheads I tell ya! :)

I have had the problem twice since last feb. when i purchased my Shelby. I noticed that the last time it happened and the pump clicked off, i could hear from the tank inlet a sound like the fuel was slowly draing down. So if i waited a few seconds when the sound stopped and then proceded it was ok. I think it has something to do with the tank set up having a cross over and maybe air pocket occuring? But, like i said , it has happened 2 times since last Feb. Other then that , no problem.......... :)

I have had this problem on other vehicles and I've always found the solution is to not stick the nozzle in but about about 1/4 way instead of all the way.

I tried that to stump, thanks.

There was a TSB on this issue on these when they came out in 05....mustang GT's I mean...and I recall seeing some here and there on 06's. Once in a while I have issues with mine. If it were me Id tell the service guy to look up the TSB and have him fix it. Why would someone tell a customer to fix his own warrantied car that has a known issue?? meatheads I tell ya! :)

You misunderstood Webba. Ford Tech told the dealer to lower the fill tube with a spacer not the customer, and then tell the customer to use the slowest setting. They said they have done that on a lot of 06 &07's and it helps somewhat. On the 05 + the tech at the dealer said this has been their biggest continual problem.

I have had the problem twice since last feb. when i purchased my Shelby. I noticed that the last time it happened and the pump clicked off, i could hear from the tank inlet a sound like the fuel was slowly draing down. So if i waited a few seconds when the sound stopped and then proceded it was ok. I think it has something to do with the tank set up having a cross over and maybe air pocket occuring? But, like i said , it has happened 2 times since last Feb. Other then that , no problem.......... :)

Yep Ed, he told me due to the style and different location on the 05+ fuel gets trapped in the filler tube and and shuts the pump off. I also tried waiting a few seconds and it still wouldn't take fuel. I couldn't get it to take fuel from the start. I think when it gets down to 3/4 of a tank, i will fill it up so i don't have to fight it for a whole tank.

i ran across this site.......

http://ratstangrestoration.com/05_mustang_tank.htm

Thanks fatboy, maybe i will email that to my dealer. :D

I didn't have the problem until I read your post. <_<

Now, I have to fiddle with it to get it to work.

Thanks Alot!!! :lol::lol:

Archived