TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT/SC for AFBLUE? Just considering it

AFBLUE

Just like the discussions of the GT500 versus SGT, the SGT versus SGT/SC are the same. No matter what you get, it's based on what you like and the way you choose to modify it (or not) and they're all still awesome SHELBY'S.

My thinking was that I had only one chance and I was going for it, no matter the price. And, I asked for extra, much to the detriment that I likely annoyed people at SAI but read post #18 - 3 above. I could have gone more and gotten the CS hood, headers and more available mods, but I kept it at what was best for me.

Mark and others, choose what's best for you. Those saying that non-modified SGT is just right for them is right on the money too. In fact, they get to spend more time driving while I work more to pay for my mods LOL.

Do what's best for you and your finances. I think I said that in another post about a month ago. If, with the sale of your home, you can put that money into more mods and still live comfortably and with out financial stress, then go for it.

If there is a chance of a financial concern down the road, then reconsider. And, if that is the case, you know that there were a lot of us that wanted to kick in for you (and Milstang) to help out in appreciation for you guys serving our country. Please let us help if that's the case. I usually donate to the VFW and could redirect that toward your car instead. I know others wanted to do the same.

there is one major factor that hasnt been mentioned thus far.none of the great shelby mustangs from the 60,s were supercharged.they were all naturaly asperated.I think if the new GT500 was NA with a 428 and sent to vegas to be upfitted it would be much more of a instant collector.any person with any car can throw a supercharger under the hood.it takes real inovation to make natural horsepower and a car that will use all of it thats what shelby was all about in the first muscle car era.thats what makes a shelby so great not unusable power but a complete balance so the car doesnt get out of shape.not to say that the SC route is cutting corners or doing it wrong.I understand with the EPA bull crapp that this generation has to wiggle its way around all sorts of red tape to get it done.you would be totaly ignorent to do a SC without letting SAI balance the rest of the car with braking and maybe even a different spring rate all around.

Here are the numbers of the 66 Shelby production run. They did make a paxton SC Shelby in 1966. The car was Ivy Green with White Stripes. #SFM6S2031

'66 Shelby GT350 Production

Model Production

GT350 fastback 1,368

GT350 convertible 4

GT350S Paxton supercharged fastback 1

GT350 fastback drag car 4

GT350H Hertz prototype 2

GT350H Hertz fastback 999

Total 2,378

With the additional incentives available now ($1K rebate, $1K military) + 3.9% financing now available on the 08 Shelby GT, and the fact that I'm selling my house in Nebraska in 10 days, my financial situation is looking brighter. :)

Still wasn't seriously considering the Whipple Supercharger option at SAI until Michael Morris said he could finance that as part of the car financing (I'm going with the 3.9%/36 mos). All of a sudden it has become almost doable.

Still not sold on the idea because I think I'd be happy with 319 hp. I'm not buying the car to race, so it's not really that important to me.

But still it would be pretty cool and would obviously make the car more unique.

I'll talk with the SAI folks about it when I'm out there on Friday. I've previously considered the S/C option with Tasca. Wonder if I would get it done faster if I took delivery of the car and had Tasca do it instead of SAI. Only drawback to that is that I wouldn't be able to finance it.

Just thinking out loud.

i think if you can handle it financially you should do it ! i would have if i had that option !

then on the other hand i also agree with u that 319 hp is enough , i keep going back and forth on wanting to send mine back when they start with taking the returns !!! because i'd have to come up with the money instead of financing ! this might help you though , the car will do 150+ without it , i dont think you can really take off any faster than the way they are set up without smoking the tires . getting one installed would let you go faster but you wouldnt be going over that on the street ,and you wouldnt know how fast you were going anyways because the speedo tops out anyways !!! thats why i keep jumping back and forth on this !!! :D

Here are the numbers of the 66 Shelby production run. They did make a paxton SC Shelby in 1966. The car was Ivy Green with White Stripes. #SFM6S2031

Model Production

GT350 fastback 1,368

GT350 convertible 4

GT350H Hertz prototype 2

Total 2,378

yeah, what he said...

1, 11, 28, 40, 50-100... something like that...

Just 2 minor corrections straight from the 1997 Shelby Registry:

Model Production

1966 Prototypes 2

GT350 fastback 1,365

GT350 convertible 4

GT350H Hertz prototype 2

Total 2,378 (although I calculate 2377)

2007-11-07-0022-54.jpg

Just like the discussions of the GT500 versus SGT, the SGT versus SGT/SC are the same. No matter what you get, it's based on what you like and the way you choose to modify it (or not) and they're all still awesome SHELBY'S.

My thinking was that I had only one chance and I was going for it, no matter the price. And, I asked for extra, much to the detriment that I likely annoyed people at SAI but read post #18 - 3 above. I could have gone more and gotten the CS hood, headers and more available mods, but I kept it at what was best for me.

Mark and others, choose what's best for you. Those saying that non-modified SGT is just right for them is right on the money too. In fact, they get to spend more time driving while I work more to pay for my mods LOL.

Do what's best for you and your finances. I think I said that in another post about a month ago. If, with the sale of your home, you can put that money into more mods and still live comfortably and with out financial stress, then go for it.

If there is a chance of a financial concern down the road, then reconsider. And, if that is the case, you know that there were a lot of us that wanted to kick in for you (and Milstang) to help out in appreciation for you guys serving our country. Please let us help if that's the case. I usually donate to the VFW and could redirect that toward your car instead. I know others wanted to do the same.

+1 Its all about what makes you happy.

On the other hand AFBlue you don't need all those things you listed they are just more icing on an already amazing cake. The blower all by itself will make you very happy :)

With the additional incentives available now ($1K rebate, $1K military) + 3.9% financing now available on the 08 Shelby GT, and the fact that I'm selling my house in Nebraska in 10 days, my financial situation is looking brighter. :)

Still wasn't seriously considering the Whipple Supercharger option at SAI until Michael Morris said he could finance that as part of the car financing (I'm going with the 3.9%/36 mos). All of a sudden it has become almost doable.

Still not sold on the idea because I think I'd be happy with 319 hp. I'm not buying the car to race, so it's not really that important to me.

But still it would be pretty cool and would obviously make the car more unique.

I'll talk with the SAI folks about it when I'm out there on Friday. I've previously considered the S/C option with Tasca. Wonder if I would get it done faster if I took delivery of the car and had Tasca do it instead of SAI. Only drawback to that is that I wouldn't be able to finance it.

Just thinking out loud.

Mark,

You have options. As far as I know you can get something like 4.9% for 48 months and 5.9 % for 60 months so you can possibly still buy the car you want. I have the polished Whipple w/ dash gauges. The car is as I have stated before "insanely fast"; I am an accelleration junky and the Whipple just keeps pulling. I put Steeda 13" slotted rotors on the rear of the car with upgraded pads from Hawk(not the race pads) using a relocate bracket and my factory calipers. Up front I installed 12.4" slotted rotors and Hawk pads. The brakes take a couple of engagements to heat up but I have improved my braking capabilities without ruining the ability to show the car with stock rims and tires(That was important to me). I still might buy a different set of rims and tires for racing or appearance purposes but I haven't lost the ability to to run stock rims and tires. Now for the good news; you can pay someone else to do this work and pay around $2000(keeping stock rims and tires) or do the install yourself on the brakes and save the labor. I also have the driving lights and functional brake duct kits to try and help keep the brakes cooler. The brake upgrade I did is not as good as the "Big Brakes" but it's a good improvement. The Whipple was and is worth the wait and you will not be disappointed !

PS : I saved my brake parts and put them on a shelf like everything else we take off these cars and will never reinstall LOL. Whipple Whipple Whipple and did I mention Ford Racing Parts installed by Shelby get Ford Warranty. Talk to your dealer for specifics on warranty. Good Luck on your decision and thanks for keeping us safe. Rick

I wonder if the SAI mod shop would do a gear swap? 3.55s to 3.90s or 4.10s. I guess I will find out when I talk to them on Friday. That and a custom dyno tune (SCT CAL II) are probably more inline with my budget (I can hear to boos and hisses now).

I've also got to budget for a daily driver vehicle now and can't afford that and the S/C (no way I'm driving my SGT to work everyday and risk door dings).

Looking for an 01 F-150 SuperCrew with less than 80K miles and will sell my 96GT to help pay for part of that.

I would keep the 96 GT but it does snow here occasionally and that car is a death trap on snow. Plus I need the convience of a truck for handy man stuff around the house and the ability to haul the family around.

Back in June, my decision was to either get a mustang GT and add a whipple or get an SGT without S/C for about the same price. As you can tell by what has transpired since, I'd rather have the SGT without a whipple than a Mustang GT with.

I know I've probably disappointed a few of you, but I'm just fine with my decision. Just happy I can afford to still get the SGT.

I'll guarentee you that 4:10's and a GOOD DYNO TUNE,Will make a world of difference!You will be surprised,I am also contemplating a 4:10 swap,Not sure if the extra revs will do me good on the interstate as I like to cruise at 90-110 on my way home almost daily.A good idea of where the revs will be is to drive a 3:55 equipped SGT or Mustang GT on the open road in 4th.

I wonder if the SAI mod shop would do a gear swap? 3.55s to 3.90s or 4.10s. I guess I will find out when I talk to them on Friday. That and a custom dyno tune (SCT CAL II) are probably more inline with my budget (I can hear to boos and hisses now).

I've also got to budget for a daily driver vehicle now and can't afford that and the S/C (no way I'm driving my SGT to work everyday and risk door dings).

Looking for an 01 F-150 SuperCrew with less than 80K miles and will sell my 96GT to help pay for part of that.

I would keep the 96 GT but it does snow here occasionally and that car is a death trap on snow. Plus I need the convience of a truck for handy man stuff around the house and the ability to haul the family around.

Back in June, my decision was to either get a mustang GT and add a whipple or get an SGT without S/C for about the same price. As you can tell by what has transpired since, I'd rather have the SGT without a whipple than a Mustang GT with.

I know I've probably disappointed a few of you, but I'm just fine with my decision. Just happy I can afford to still get the SGT.

Good plan. You can always have one of the mod shops add the stuff later but I hear you about the door dings!! That is why I still have my '96 Honda to drive to work when it rains etc. I know I can drive on the stuff but it is everyone else I worry about!

I can't wait to see pictures of your car!!

Mark,

It sounds like you may be sold on the idea of getting a pick-up and getting rid of your '96 Mustang GT already. But if you wanted to keep your Mustang, I'd suggest investing in a set of winter tires. I have a set of Dunlop SP Winter Sport M2's mounted on a spare set of rims that I'm going to put on my daily driver here in a couple of weeks and will leave on till March. It's the same set that I've used for the past few winters on my '02 Mustang GT convertible and '04 MACH I and NEVER had any issues in the occasional ice or snow that we get around here.

Kevin

Well since I was trying to live vicariously through you becuause I was too uneducated to get the SC I am disappointed! But such is life ~ B)

Saw 3 GT/CSs delivered to their owners today at SAI. 2 white and 1 black. All 3 were Paxtons and had gauge clusters. Details and pix to follow (won't be able to upload pix until Monday night).

Spoke with John about switching gears out. He said they would have the capability to do it in the Spring. I declined to keep the car there that long just for gears.

Saw 3 GT/CSs delivered to their owners today at SAI. 2 white and 1 black. All 3 were Paxtons and had gauge clusters. Details and pix to follow (won't be able to upload pix until Monday night).

Spoke with John about switching gears out. He said they would have the capability to do it in the Spring. I declined to keep the car there that long just for gears.

But would be worth it if yours is the only one (well, to me it would be worth it).

If you 2 think I going to wait that long just for gears, you're crazy. It better be something more than that to make me wait until Spring. Ok fine I get the freakin whipple supercharger but I'm not going to get the blingy version. Are you all happy now? :D

Michael, this is not a joke. Please add Whipple (Black) and S/C gauges to my 36 mos 3.9% financing charge (along with the lower grille and lights and the quarter window trim).

Great. :angry: Now I'm going to have to edit my avatar and add "/SC" to the horizontal stripe.

If you 2 think I going to wait that long just for gears, you're crazy. It better be something more than that to make me wait that long. Ok fine I get the freakin whipple supercharger but I'm not going to get the blingy version. Are you all happy now? :D

Michael, this is not a joke. Please add Whipple (Black) and S/C gauges to my 36 mos 3.9% financing charge (along with the lower grille and lights and the quarter window trim).

Great. :angry: Now I'm going to have to edit my avatar and add "/SC" to the horizontal stripe.

Woohoo! You won't regret it!

B)

If you 2 think I going to wait that long just for gears, you're crazy. It better be something more than that to make me wait until Spring. Ok fine I get the freakin whipple supercharger but I'm not going to get the blingy version. Are you all happy now? :D

Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Way to go for the brass ring!!! :lol:

Mark - You'll now have a car that very few people in this world will have. You are in a separate class now, you'll have one of the fastest & highly modded 2008 Shelby's made in 2008 AND @ the Shelby factory!! WooHooo!. That my friend is an incredible feat and very rare too! I consider you a lucky dog, I wish I was in your position!!!!

Mark,

Once you drive that SGT w/ the Whipple you won't be able to wipe the grin off your face. Congrats ! Rick

I've been dreading posting this, but there's no point in putting it off any longer.

When I posted that I was going to go ahead and get a supercharger, I had just come from the "Shelby Mecca" and had a "Mountain top" experience. On the plane ride back I read my Shelby Magazine from cover to cover (4 hours). By the time I landed, I was so pumped up, that I told my wife, "screw it, I'm gonna get a supercharger". I then promptly posted that thought on here. That was dumb.

I should have taken more time to reflect upon this decision (a big one for me), because a day later I came off my "shelby high" and was back to thinking the same way I had thought prior to the trip (responsibly).

Bottomline is I'm buying a 2003 F-150 SuperCrew tomorrow so the Supercharger is out for now. My family needs a truck more than I need a supercharger right now.

Down the road I can always go the Tasca/Shelby mod shop route, but right now it wouldn't be a financially smart thing to do.

Sorry to keep flip flopping on this , but if you make the trip out to SAI, you may get an idea of how one can get really excited about spending lots of money.

I'm still getting a Shelby GT and am very excited about it.

Archived