TEAM SHELBY FORUM

S197 Boss Mustang On The Way

robertlane

Now back to the original discussion.......Ford hit a home run with the 2005 re-do, they again have beat GM and Chrysler to the punch. Both will be playing "catch up" for a couple of years with respect to the pony car segment. Ford needs to be real carefull not to set back and rest on the success it has had with this car. The HP wars are alive and well and the "nitch" market many of us are in will continue to look for and buy the "new muscle car" that the big three are offering up. Lets hope they (Ford) has the intestinal fortitude to stay on top of the program, the Boss 302 with a high reving killer n/a motor would be a step in the right direction.

+2!!! Ford clearly has the lead in this segment, they just need to continue to push the envelope to maintain their position.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+1...

I'm hoping that HTT/Ford actively pursue two fundamental lines of hi-po stangs: straight-line muscle AND light-agile NA curve-carver. The Boss 302 was amazingly adept at both was primarily the latter segment -- a segment that has been seemingly ignored since the '01 Cobra and even the '01 (al alloy motor) could have been a few points lighter in the front. I think a Boss (in '09?) will go a long way toward validating that Ford recognizes the curve-carver crown are a distinct segment of enthusiasts -- hopefully just in time for a resurrected TransAm series (or before ;-)

:shift:

Seeing as I was temporarily put off by post counting self serving attention panderers, I have rather a backlog of good stuff to post.

Here is a great break down and inside look at the sort of engineering available and existing to the performance niche at Ford. I'm not suggesting that we get a racecar for 50k, however, some of the thinking could go a long way to mitigating the forces of DVD/NAV and heated fat butt warmers.

And its just elegant to contemplate. Click back at the top of the linked page for the full article and enjoy the peace of mind that they know what needs to be improved.

5.0 mag/ deep inside the boy racer

You are a knowledgable person with great posts. An asset to this forum by all accounts. But could you please leave the insults out?

Thank you,

John

If and when the problems are delt with to everyones satisfaction, I will gladly and relievedly edit all attention grabbers. And change my sig back to one that represents me, and not a point.

In the mean time, it seems to be working. I'm truly sorry that you are discomfited, but it does confirm that people read content. I will however edit out immediately the biblical curse word.

Seeing as I was temporarily put off by post counting self serving attention panderers, I have rather a backlog of good stuff to post.

Here is a great break down and inside look at the sort of engineering available and existing to the performance niche at Ford. I'm not suggesting that we get a racecar for 50k, however, some of the thinking could go a long way to mitigating the forces of DVD/NAV and heated fat butt warmers.

And its just elegant to contemplate. Click back at the top of the linked page for the full article and enjoy the peace of mind that they know what needs to be improved.

Great FR500C pics/info, JET -- thanks for the link!

I caught the GrandAm mandate back to 3.55s specifically to slow-down the boy-racer ... it's stuff like that that has traditionally hounded Ford when they excell. I don't see Porsche or BMW getting handicapped -- prior to the 3.55 mandate the FR500C was kicking Porsche and BMW's butts. To my mind it would be fair if everybody had a ratio limit. I guess they want a 'fair fight' but I liked it better when that meant superior engineering was rewarded with wins <lol> not handicaps.

Fast forward "deja vu" -- today the SCCA, Trans-American sanctioning body, announced that Ford's new DOHC Boss will not be permitted to compete in... (just like NASCAR in the 60s? ...and NHRA in the 70s?)

The comment on those headers caught my eye -- to wit 'no attempt made for eaqual-length tuning. I'm wondering if the firing order of that engine permits that design to be effective. Though not equal length in the traditional sense, they do in fact look like the segments from head to 'plenum' pipe (collerctorless design) might be taking advantage of an alternate firing order. That would mean diff cams but not necessarily a diff crank -- just musing the possibilities, but not sure I'm smart enough to divine the answer from the pic alone. Of course the firing order could be 'stock' and the collectorless design might permit pulse propagation to be fast enough to work effectively with that design -- I did several searches but could not come up with a firing order spec on the R50 (anyone know more on this?)

I remember in 2005 TLC ran a 1 hour show on development of the FR500C (didn't have a name yet). A shop Ford has worked with in the past in Canada did much of the prep work (tall, curly-haired guy who looked familiar from the 70s -- can't remember his name). They covered prep and initial track tuning with Dan Davis. By the end of the first track-day it was beating the well-honed SN95 road racer!

Have a nice turkey day tomorow! (or e sure to toss out those 2-week left-overs if you're north of the border ;-)

Great link Jet , This is the kind of post I enjoy reading ( something with substance not mindless rantings).

I found the info on each pic very interesting. The fact that they took a standard mustang and with some basic but technical mods turned it into a race car is something that any mustang owner could relate to .Unlike the ground up race cars from NASCAR.

I found it interesting to see into the upper intake plenum as well as a close up on the suspension changes.

Hopefully some of the things learned in racing this fr500 will find its way into future stangs as some of it already has in the GT500. ie: Brembo brakes.

Thanks for posting, George...

Great FR500C pics/info, JET -- thanks for the link!

I caught the GrandAm mandate back to 3.55s specifically to slow-down the boy-racer ... it's stuff like that that has traditionally hounded Ford when they excell. I don't see Porsche or BMW getting handicapped -- prior to the 3.55 mandate the FR500C was kicking Porsche and BMW's butts. To my mind it would be fair if everybody had a ratio limit. I guess they want a 'fair fight' but I liked it better when that meant superior engineering was rewarded with wins <lol> not handicaps.

Fast forward "deja vu" -- today the SCCA, Trans-American sanctioning body, announced that Ford's new DOHC Boss will not be permitted to compete in... (just like NASCAR in the 60s? ...and NHRA in the 70s?)

Dan , you are right on the money with that observation. Not only did they take away the gears but they took away HP buy restricting the throttle body air flow with a 70% spacer and a weight penalty.( not sure exactly how much though)

The BMW's are running higher gears 391s . When they drive by down the straightaway you can hear the RPM dif. The BMWs scream when going by ,the Mustangs sound like they are chugging along in comparison.

This enables the bMWs to pull down the straights and out of the turns with an advantage.

I talked to one of the drivers about this , he told me that the lack of gears was hurting them the most.

Acura NSX = 406:1

Audi S4 456:1

01-04 M3 BMW 391:

Caddi CTSV 373:1

Mustang 355:1

Notice any bias here ?

Here are a few pics I took at Lime Rock this may.

post-54-1164283100_thumb.jpg

post-54-1164283254_thumb.jpg

post-54-1164283503_thumb.jpg

post-54-1164283578_thumb.jpg

post-54-1164283659_thumb.jpg

post-54-1164283871_thumb.jpg

post-54-1164283100_thumb.jpg

post-54-1164283254_thumb.jpg

post-54-1164283503_thumb.jpg

post-54-1164283578_thumb.jpg

post-54-1164283659_thumb.jpg

post-54-1164283871_thumb.jpg

George, great pix -- thanks for putting them up!

Appreciate your insight too... didn't know they also had a restrictor applied -- that's so disheartening. Maybe if/when the TransAm pony-car wars get going it can be more of a true slugfest

That's such an awesome intake -- it appears that those stacks draw out of a common plenum ... very unusual and I had never seen anything like it before the boyracer...aparently homologation doesn't apply to intakes (dunno).

Hope yopu're havin a nice Turkey Day... I just had to log in and get a quick 'fix' <lol>

The magic call from your dealer should be soon -- good luck

!

-Dan

George, great pix -- thanks for putting them up!

Appreciate your insight too... didn't know they also had a restrictor applied -- that's so disheartening. Maybe if/when the TransAm pony-car wars get going it can be more of a true slugfest

That's such an awesome intake -- it appears that those stacks draw out of a common plenum ... very unusual and I had never seen anything like it before the boyracer...aparently homologation doesn't apply to intakes (dunno).

Hope yopu're havin a nice Turkey Day... I just had to log in and get a quick 'fix' <lol>

The magic call from your dealer should be soon -- good luck

!

-Dan

Hi Dan , I posted last week that I got the car on thursday (see new arrivals forum)Labled (IT'S HERE IT'S HERE)

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...?showtopic=4180 post#1 & #10

Labeled (Finally posted some pics)

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...?showtopic=4236 pics here

Sorry I guess I should have PM'ed you ,thought you might have seen the post.

Let me know when you want to come down to visit and see her. When we figure out a time I'll PM you with directions and phone #.

Hi Dan , I posted last week that I got the car on thursday (see new arrivals forum)Labled (IT'S HERE IT'S HERE)

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4236 pics here

Let me know when you want to come down to visit and see her. When we figure out a time I'll PM you with directions and phone #.

George, CONGRATULATIONS!!! She looks great! That blue looks so much like the '68 Gunmetal blue -- beeeuuutifull!

And you're thinking of the stage-4 Evolution performance setup -- wow! ;-) (like 650rwHP!)

Thanks so much for the look-see offer -- if we ever get a sunny day!

-Dan

Great find, Jet, thanks for posting!!

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4236 pics here

Congratulations, George!! What a beautiful ride :drool: What a nice looking family you have!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived