TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Sounds Like its Raining in my SGT

ddwyer

I just got my SGT two weeks ago. I've already put 900 miles on her. It has been raining a lot here lately, and besides having a difficult time keeping her clean, I have been noticing that it sounds like its raining in the back seat of the car when driving on wet roads. It almost sounds like they forgot a piece of insulation in the rear wheel well or something.

I have also notice that if I go through a bit of gravel or sand on the road that I hear that kick up as well. My brother-in-law has a good ol' V6 stang same year, and it doesn't sound like this in his car.

Does anyone else have this same issue? I can live with it, but just want to make sure something isn't missing on the car, it just doesn't sound right. Perhaps it has to do with the lowering and suspension changes....any thoughts?

I just got my SGT two weeks ago. I've already put 900 miles on her. It has been raining a lot here lately, and besides having a difficult time keeping her clean, I have been noticing that it sounds like its raining in the back seat of the car when driving on wet roads. It almost sounds like they forgot a piece of insulation in the rear wheel well or something.

I have also notice that if I go through a bit of gravel or sand on the road that I hear that kick up as well. My brother-in-law has a good ol' V6 stang same year, and it doesn't sound like this in his car.

Does anyone else have this same issue? I can live with it, but just want to make sure something isn't missing on the car, it just doesn't sound right. Perhaps it has to do with the lowering and suspension changes....any thoughts?

wecome to the Family !!!

is there any water getting in at all ??? found any wet spots??? i would put some news paper across the back under the window covering everything to the seat tack it for a ride again in the rain and when you get back check to see if there is any drops or wet spots??? then you'll know for sure if its leaking or just sound !!!! :D

Dwyer, I hear similar noise, as in volume of it, when my seats are down. Now I know you will say DOH but I just wanted to point it out. I frequently leave my rear seats down....I leave my golf clubs in there just in case...and it has gotten louder as I put on miles. Are your seats up?

Dwyer, I hear similar noise, as in volume of it, when my seats are down. Now I know you will say DOH but I just wanted to point it out. I frequently leave my rear seats down....I leave my golf clubs in there just in case...and it has gotten louder as I put on miles. Are your seats up?

Fold down rear seats...<bleep>, I miss that.

Remember...Sound is vibration in oscillation and on it's way to becomming audible. Ford studies this under the NHV (noise, harshness, vibration) index.

Dwyer...I would suspect that your increased sense of cabin noise is the product of lower-to-ground, and stiff suspension. Vibration telegraphs throughout the car, and once it hits you, you believe you "hear" it, while others in your car (or, you in another car) may not. Much of this is tire noise. The compound in the SGT tires is unusually sticky and when properly inflated, they "whine" on many road surfaces. When I take my SGT up on the highway, I can play you a tune by adjusting my speed. Sounds like a violin to me...

Webba...By leaving your seats folded down, you open the trunk area to become a larger "echo chamber", transmitting more vibration into the cabin. More room to resonate, more to listen to...

I hear (feel) lots of stuff I did not expect from this car, but I have come to love them. Imagine what it sounds (feels) like in a NASCAR ride. Pure joy I suspect.

i hear rainwater and dirt and dust and gravel whipping up off the rear tires onto the wheel wells too.

but i thought its just the way the car is

i'm used to a truck where the rear wheels are a part of the truck bed which makes them completely isolated from the cab

so i dont know if thats normal. maybe i need to look undernieth?

by the way i keep my rear seats up.

I've used that spray sound barrier stuff you can buy at any auto store it works great, try that once.

Archived