TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Update on Flowmaster axleback

07SHELBY GT

I have previously posted about the problems with this kit,And our cars.Well my FRPP mufflers had one tip welded crooked when they were made,So they never loked to good out back,And I've been trying to peddle my new Flowmaster system for $200 + shipping,But they weigh so much people would have to live in driving distance.Soooooooooo,I decided to re-install them and work it out!They are back on the car,Got some rubber tubing between the rear facia and the inner structure,Also split a piece and put it on the bottom of the facia to keep it off the muffler body.Going to try and make some brackets,Possibly some heat shields to keep the space between the two parts at a safe distance.If I can get away with just some solid brackets,The factory facia attatching setup is very sloppy and allows for a lot of movement,I'll try to post the info here because this system is relatively easy to install,SOUNDS GOOD!,And I've seen them advertised recently at Jegs for like $275,Which is a good deal and a lot cheaper than some of our other options,SLP,CORSA,Etc.

For anybody interested I finally came up with a reasonsbly simple solution for the rear facia interference issue with the Flowmaster axleback,I felt that it was worth the effort because these are now priced in the $275 range and they sound great!So what i have come up with is installing some aluminum straps under the car between the facia and the underside,Anyone that wants to try this will see how easy it is!After 400 miles with this easy mod I have had no ill effects.Funny thing is I ran into a tech at my local dealer who had installed the CS/SGT facias on his 07 Mustang GT,Said he had the same problem and used the same solution,So we are not alone on this.Go ahead with your purchase,You will not be dissapointed!

What is your rationale for changing out the SGT/FRP exhaust system?

Sound?

Performance?

It's my understanding that the FRP parts are made by Borla, any correction needed?

If I were to change anything exhaust related, I would upgrade to this system;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-06-07-08...95150QQtcZphoto

This system makes performance "cents" to me, must be 10-12 pounds of RWTQ here. For 300 bucks (not including labor), this is a performance deal too. I've listened to the sound clips posted, and I like that too.

Can't dispute the performance gains,Widely recognized fact is no axle back system itself will give you any real gains without a possible header and pipe combo plus tune,Therefore we are now out of the realm of just putting the system on.The flowmaster system sounds good if you are after that low pitched throaty tone,Similar to the FRPP set-up only louder.The system you showed us might be what some are looking for.This thread was started when I tried to install the Flows on my car and encountered some rear facia interference,I was at first dissappointed some of the other forum members were also,I came up with an easy fix and posted it here.Would be happy to see some axle back only performance results if you have any,I'm sure the members would appreciate that info.

Well then let's jack it back !!!!

so did you find someone yet to get rid of your other mufflers ???

do you still have the one on that you made a mod for ??? any probs yet ????

can you put an audio or video of them that would be great to hear !!!! :D

I think i might want a little more sound even after the orginal 40s have been put on mine, IMO louder the better that way they hear u coming and have more time to rubber neck at your Shelby !!! ( see im not selfish im doing it to help them out !!!! ):lol:

I put the same ones on that I originally tried,But finally figured out that by securing the rear facia away from the mufflers with some aluminum straps between it and the body,I could make them work!If you want louder,Click on the link that LuLu provided,Those are definately louder than my Flowmasters.I might post a video on youtube,Not sure if you can post video on this site.

What is your rationale for changing out the SGT/FRP exhaust system?

Sound?

Performance?

It's my understanding that the FRP parts are made by Borla, any correction needed?

If I were to change anything exhaust related, I would upgrade to this system;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-06-07-08...95150QQtcZphoto

This system makes performance "cents" to me, must be 10-12 pounds of RWTQ here. For 300 bucks (not including labor), this is a performance deal too. I've listened to the sound clips posted, and I like that too.

The Pypes system eliminates the X-pipe. From my understanding - which I still do not know why it's needed - to get the maximum performance gains you must have the X -pipe on newer cars.

Sounds good though. Basically a mid mount glass pack system and with the X-pipe removed it really improves the sound.

Archived