TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rear End Clank

whitestang07

I have a 2007 SGT. At low speeds I sometimes hear a clank from the left rear of the car. Does not appear to be associated with the brakes ... when I hit them the sound does not go away. I've never heard it at higher speed. I also don't think it is the suspension since it can occur on flat roads. Never heard it above 10 MPH.

Any ideas? I got under the car and can not find anything loose.

Thanks,

I have a 2007 SGT. At low speeds I sometimes hear a clank from the left rear of the car. Does not appear to be associated with the brakes ... when I hit them the sound does not go away. I've never heard it at higher speed. I also don't think it is the suspension since it can occur on flat roads. Never heard it above 10 MPH.

Thanks,

havent heard anything about that yet !!!!!!!congrats on the Shelby& welcome to the Family!!!!!!!! :D

Thanks,

Welcome whitestag07. What is the CSM # of your car. Early cars had a banging noise in the left rear and the issue was an exhaust hanger. If you perform a search you will find threads regarding this particular issue.

Thanks,

Something like this could be very difficult to track down without a lot of Q and A.

I get a lot of this noise myself, and mostly when backing into my garage, or, when stopped for a traffic light on an incline. My first thoughts on your problem stem from my own experience, and I'm suggesting "drive-line" play" or "slap."

This car is very tightly wound, there is not a lot of give in the suspension. Thus, when you release tension in the drivetrain, i.e. let off the accelerator in gear, some components will "slap" each other. It's really a classic syndrome in manual tranny cars, magnified when suspension systems are unforgiving.

Track it a biit longer? Try to pinpoint exactly what driving conditions stimulate the noise you hear, and get back to us?

Something like this could be very difficult to track down without a lot of Q and A.

I get a lot of this noise myself, and mostly when backing into my garage, or, when stopped for a traffic light on an incline. My first thoughts on your problem stem from my own experience, and I'm suggesting "drive-line" play" or "slap."

This car is very tightly wound, there is not a lot of give in the suspension. Thus, when you release tension in the drivetrain, i.e. let off the accelerator in gear, some components will "slap" each other. It's really a classic syndrome in manual tranny cars, magnified when suspension systems are unforgiving.

Track it a biit longer? Try to pinpoint exactly what driving conditions stimulate the noise you hear, and get back to us?

Do you hear the noise when you are turning are low speeds? If so there is a TSB for clutch pack replacement for limited slip rear ends.

John

Thanks,

Standard checks are exhaust hangers (rear one on the muffler - they can hit the body of the car) and the newest is greasing your rear sway bar.

Standard checks are exhaust hangers (rear one on the muffler - they can hit the body of the car) and the newest is greasing your rear sway bar.

Greasing sway bar is one I have not heard!Good info!

Greasing sway bar is one I have not heard!Good info!

Moddedmustangs.com has the 07 tsb's pinned at the top of the modular 4.6 forum. There is a rear end issue in there. I've noticed the same noise in mine.

I did have an issue with another Mustang and the rear diff making noise on short slow turns.That seemed to be a common complaint,First they change the fluid,Then they change the frictions in the diff.Seems as if with varied results!Possible fluid issue,Bad quality?The new Corvettes have the same problem.

Moddedmustangs.com has the 07 tsb's pinned at the top of the modular 4.6 forum. There is a rear end issue in there. I've noticed the same noise in mine.

I looked for the TSB but could not find it. Do you know the TSB number?

Also, thanks for the welcome to the Shelby family. Love the car, love to look.

Archived