TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dead Battery?

racer500

My SGT was dead on the showroom floor, but have had no issues since.

HOWEVER, my 2006 Mustang GT had battery issues when I stored it last winter. :angry: The dealership said they would replace the battery if it would not hold a charge. Same as you.

I found that if I turned off the radio before I shut down the car, I had no issue when it sat for a week or two.......that has been my fix and I continue to do that with the SGT.

Just went out to start my 07SGT1168 but just....click, click, click. Battery was dead. Car had set for 2+ weeks since being driven. Have heard that this is a common problem with '05-'07 Mustangs, but Ford has no fix. Has anyone had similar problems with their SGT's?

Unfortunately you are right. This is a very common problem with many S197 (2005-2007) Mustangs. Usually it’s related to the Shaker 500/1000 system. There are also many cars with Shaker systems that don’t have the problem (yet).

I had issues with my battery draining and sometimes it would be dead within a couple of days. I was able to trace it to the radio circuit and prove to the dealer that on occasion the radio would draw 1.5 – 1.7 amps with the key out of the ignition. It may only happen 1 out of 10 times on turning the ignition off so it's not easy to find.

There should be a Ford Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) on this by now but they don’t want admit there is a problem or they would have a ton of warranty claims.

You can search on Yahoo or Google for “Mustang GT dead battery” and you will finds hundreds of posts from people with the same problem.

http://www.mustangforums.com/m_857518/tm.htm

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=680704

http://www.mustangforums.com/m_2281696/tm.htm

This is very informative, my wifes 05 Mustang has been draining the battery lately driving us crazy!

I have never had a dead battery on any of the newer cars I have owned. That may be that I keep it on a battery tender when not in use. Great insurance and extends the life of the battery. Well worth the $, especially if you store the car for weeks or months.

http://batterytender.com/default.php?cPath...77bb32051be090a

rossgt is correct. I have used battery tenders or similar for years and they work great. I keep my rv batteries on them during the winter.

The other issue is the active anti-theft. it drains the battery slowly over time. It has and continues to be an issue for some. I out my 06 GT up for the winter last year and never disconnected the battery. I didnt tend it or anything. I would start it every few weeks but there was a stretch of about 5 weeks I didnt touch her and I was amazed it started right up next time I went to run it. I got lucky I guess. Ill tend my SGT one this year.

The other issue is the active anti-theft. it drains the battery slowly over time. It has and continues to be an issue for some. I out my 06 GT up for the winter last year and never disconnected the battery. I didnt tend it or anything. I would start it every few weeks but there was a stretch of about 5 weeks I didnt touch her and I was amazed it started right up next time I went to run it. I got lucky I guess. Ill tend my SGT one this year.

There are several variants to the problem (Shaker. Active Anti-Theft, long term 30+ day storage, etc...). They all result in the same condition (dead battery), but they are totally different problems.

There is a Ford TSB out about the 30+ day storage issue and Ford recommends a low amp battery maintenance charger (like the Battery Tender). For that particular issue (Winter storage) that is a somewhat reasonable solution.

The one that people are most irate about is usually related to the Shaker system, this can completely drain your battery in as little as 1-5 days. This problem can develop weeks, months, or years after you have the car so just because you don’t have it now don’t assume you are immune.

So when the dealer tells you that you need to plug your car into a Battery Tender every night in case the Shaker system stays on and drains your battery you can imagine most people are not happy about this.

Ford has done NOTHING to address this 3 year old issue.

Cuda I have the issue in my 01 F350. Its not the Shaker system in that. I cant remember what it is for a system exactly but it has the 6 cd cnahger in dash. We dont leave cd's in it anymore because it will drain down. It seems to stay in CD mode and somehow stay on after the key is out. We have found a dead battery in the truck twice.

I have been told, and experienced this on an '05 I had, that it is the windows. You all know how they come down about 1/2 inch when you open the door, well sometimes they do not come back up all the way into the "sealed position" and the window motor keeps running trying to get the window all the way up.

If the battery goes dead overnight after you have been driving, this might be the reason.

Archived