TEAM SHELBY FORUM

A few questions

jaksjerky

I am so glad I found this forum. It is the first one I have ever been on and I can't wait to check it everyday. I bought my 07SGT3862 on 9/11/07. I am not really a fan of any one car maker I like different models from all, but this car is exactly what I saw in my mind when I decided to just get a GT. The dealer didn't have a GT on the lot but said to take the SHELBY out for a test drive. I did and I was sold. I get the same goose bumps every time I drive that I do when I hear the Star Spangled Banner. This is my first new car and I am now realizing just what I have. I didn't buy for an investment, I bought to enjoy. And man do I. Ok enough banter, I have a few newbie questions.

What is an appropriate break in period?

How do you drive in that period.

Just how does that traction control work?

Do any of you turn it off every time you drive?

Why is the cup holder in the way for driving?

Should I replace the floor mats and save the other ones for show?

Thank you for this forum and all the really cool people here.

Jay

Welcome to Shelby ownership. Everyone here has an oppinion so expect a few different answers. Here is mine.

1. Don't know how long the break-in period is.

2. I have been told to drive the car the way you want it to "learn" to be driven. (read, if you want it to be strong push it a little. If you want it to be a milder, baby it a little) -Don't know if this is true or what?

3. Traction is always defauted to an on state when you fire her up. I leave mine on all the time unless I want to delight the on-lookers.

4. Same as number 3.

5. Cup holder! Is that what what those 2 holes are for? I use that area to hold my shades! (read: to keep them from rocking around when the traction control is off!)

6. I have never driven the car with the stock Shelby GT mats. They go in only at shows and never have feet on them. You only get one pair of those babies! Ruin a stock pair of Mustang mats from your dealership!

Good luck!

I am so glad I found this forum. It is the first one I have ever been on and I can't wait to check it everyday. I bought my 07SGT3862 on 9/11/07. I am not really a fan of any one car maker I like different models from all, but this car is exactly what I saw in my mind when I decided to just get a GT. The dealer didn't have a GT on the lot but said to take the SHELBY out for a test drive. I did and I was sold. I get the same goose bumps every time I drive that I do when I hear the Star Spangled Banner. This is my first new car and I am now realizing just what I have. I didn't buy for an investment, I bought to enjoy. And man do I. Ok enough banter, I have a few newbie questions.

Thank you for this forum and all the really cool people here.

Jay

from being around the dealership i have been told (may be blowing smoke up my butt) that the computer learns the driver. it learns your shift points and so on. if you put 2-3 thousands miles on her and then your wife drives her it might not run as well for your wife. this is just what ive be told so the smart guys on her dont flame me :blink:

traction control is controled by the computer. if it senses wheel spin it will let off the gas in till the spinning stops.

and TKO is right there arent any cupholders in a mustang... you stick your cell phone in those holes.

no drinking or eating in a SHELBY!!!!!!!!!!

yea replace the SGT mates with a cheap walmart pair.

michael morris

I took it easy for the frist 1000 miles. I never redlined it and varied speeds as often as possible. That is what I have been told so I go by it. I turn the traction control...aka t/c as you will see it on here alot....off everytime I drive. If its raining I leave it on, but I only drive her in the nice weather. But you never know when you get caught in a storm. I have just had issues before with tire spin and the t/c coming on and me sitting in the middle of an intersection with a car coming at me...no thanks. The cup holder is there probably because there was no other place for it I guess. I toss my cell phone it it too. And as for the mats, thats up to you. I am using mine at the moment. I will get new ones soon but she is going up for the winter probably next week :( Its your car so its your decision. Do what makes you happy and most importantly welcome to the forum and enjoy the ride :)

No such thing anymore.

Like I stole it.

Very well if you don't turn it off. When the car detects slippage it cuts the power to stop the wheels from spinning.

No, not everytime. When cruising it's not necessary.

The cup holder is not in the way. Now if you put a cup in it..... :D

Yes.

As Mike said computers do learn driving habbits and you have to reset the PC every now and then. On my Avalanche you had to accelerate three times to 60 from a dead stop killing the truck between each run. On my Dodge truck you had to pull the PCM fuse and turn the key to the on position until it "dinged twice". I have no idea how to reset the PCM on the Mustang.

Thank you for this forum and all the really cool people here. Where exactly are these cool people? :lol:

Jay

Archived