TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New 07SGT Owner

SGT2167

Good evening.

I recently purchased a new 07SGT in Ohio. I have been contemplating the purchase for several months, but since I was already the owner of a 2006 Mustang GT with numerous performance upgrades, it was hard to justify. Fortunately, I convinced myself (and wife) that all parts are interchangeable or I can sell........who am I kidding, the car is awesome, and I had to have it!!! :) By the way, uninstalling headers is much easier than installing them......ARGH!!!!!

In addition to the SGT, I own a 1975 Mustang II Mach1, which is quite rare. I have also owned a 2000 Mustang GT and a 2004 Mustang GT Convert.

I am struggling with the idea of installing the BBK shorty headers, BBK throttle body and throttle body spacer......should I keep it stock or should I stalk other cars? I also have a B&M short throw shifter, Flowmaster mufflers, S&B cold air, and a Diablo programmer that I will most likely sell. The combination took me from 14.30's to 13.30's at a 'poor' track in central Ohio.

Anyhow, enough of the old and in with the new. I am encouraged to see such a strong following for the Shelby GT. I look forward to future discussions and expert opinions from each of you. I am trying to find actual production numbers for the Black 07's, but I see that the information in not available yet....

If anyone is looking for 07SGT's, there are (2) White and (1) Black SGT's within 25 minutes of my house for sale at local dealerships.....and they are looking to sell!

Have a great evening!

welcome to the forum and congrats on your new ride, you will love it. I say modify it to your tastes and drive it, or leave it alone and drive it, as long as you drive it.

As for your aftermarket goodies, the TB and spacer would work, headers will work and as you know are a pain in the kiester, put the rest on ebay as it either wont fit right, you dont need it cause its allready there.

Again welcome and enjoy :)

Thanks for the welcoming.....much appreciated!

Trust me, I will drive it......just not in the winter. It is quite the head turner.....some young man was trying to take pics with his cell phone while driving 70 mph on the freeway over the weekend....that was an interesting experience! :)

In regards to the parts, I tend to agree.....TB, spacer and headers will be the extent of the near term mods. My hands are still healing from the header removal project last weekend!!!

Once I figure this Forum thing out, I will post some pics of the car.....

Again, thanks for the support! :D

Fortunately, I convinced myself (and wife) that all parts are interchangeable or I can sell........who am I kidding

Welcome to the board and congrats on successfully convincing your wife....many of us would not have taken the leap without that spouse support...and some of us are lucky enough to have spouses that are equal in our love for Shelby's.

Congratulations, SGT2167!

Just out of curiosity, you said you purchased in Ohio, what part (of Ohio) and did you just purchase here or do you live here, too?

The reason I ask is I fell into mine in Cincinnati about five weeks ago. I live just south of Dayton but work in Fairfield (just north of Cincinnati for the non-locals).

My story is I fell in love with Mustangs years ago and was lucky enough to own a 1971 Mach 1 for several years. (The only car I ever owned that I regret selling ...) I wasn't thrilled with some of the things Ford did to them over the years but when I saw what they did in 2005 I knew I'd own another one.

I tried all the flavors out as rentals while on trips and knew I'd have to have one of my own as some point. When the GT500's made their appearance I thought that was the way I'd go. I even printed out some pictures and put them on the wall in my office.

Then, around the middle of July, I had a gentlemen named Gary Rockenfield stop by my office for a sales call. We talked his business for a while but the talk turned to my pictures and Mustangs. It turned out he was a bigger fan than I was. More important, to me anyway, was he was also a bigger authority. His family was once the big Ford dealer in Cincinnati and he had owned several flavors over the years, including AC Cobras and first generation Shelby GT's. (As a matter of fact, he still has an original GT500.) So we talked Mustangs for about an hour before returning to business. I told him I was hoping to join the club next year. He sent me a follow-up card the next week thanking me for my time and hoping we could do business, then put a PS saying even if we didn't do business I needed to call him to help me pick out the "proper" color for my GT500. We ended up doing business and spoke on and off over the next two months.

I hadn't talked to Gary for a couple of weeks when one morning he called me out of the blue and said "Guess what I saw last night?". I told him I didn't know but I wasn't sure I needed to be talking to him. He said "Then don't say anything, just listen ...". He proceeded to start to tell me about this Mustang just off the hauler, still dirty, sitting in a service bay at a local dealer that he had seen the previous evening when he stopped in to get his car that had been in for service. As he started describing the car he mentioned the hood pins and it struck me he wasn't describing a GT500 but a REAL Shelby GT. Suddenly I wasn't feeling well; I was thrilled and a little sick, all at the same time. Here was a dream vehicle that was so close but yet so far. He then gave me a little insider tip, the person who has ordered the car was getting cold feet and might back-out. He told me to give them a call.

Well, I fought with myself for about five hours then finally gave them a call. Gary hadn't recommended any particular salesperson so I just asked for sales. I told the gentlemen I spoke to that I'd heard a rumor they had a Shelby GT that might be for sale and asked him if it were true and what they were asking. He apologized and said he didn't know but asked if he could call me back. I said sure and hung up.

Finally, about three hours later, he called back and apologized again for taking so long but told me I'd asked some questions nobody had answers to. He said, yes, they did have a Shelby GT there but it wasn't currently for sale as it had been ordered in for someone; however, there MIGHT be a problem and it was possible the car might be for sale in a few days. He further said that, just in case, they were starting a prospect list of interested parties and asked if he could put my name at the top of the list. I told him sure! I honestly didn't think I would be the buyer as I hadn't planned to buy until next year but there was no cost to be at the top of the list, so why not?

The next day I called Gary back and had harsh words for him for even getting me started with this whole mess. His answer was "Want to go to lunch?". We ended up meeting at the dealership to look it over. He has been honest, it was a filthy mess on the outside. It was dirty, all the transport stickers were slapped on everywhere, there was instructions and notes in wax pencil on the windshield, and one more thing - on the driver's side windshield a note, "I Built It" and signed initials. More interestingly, it was parked in the service bay directly behind one of the dealership owner's vehicles - an absolute cherry 1969 GT500! (By the way, his daily driver is a white Ford GT.)

Well, a couple of days later, I got a phone call letting me know their deal had fallen through and the car was available. I told them "Thanks, I think" and told them I would call them back with an answer by late afternoon but while they were waiting to not touch the car in case I ended up being the buyer. I didn't want it cleaned up, washed, or touched until I could get pictures of everything just the was it was. After that it was another call to Gary to really cuss him out.

To make a long story a little shorter, I ended up talking them down a couple of thousand and bought it on Friday, September 14th. I filled out all the paperwork but told them I wouldn't be picking it up until Monday evening as I would be out of town all weekend so taking it home then wouldn't do me any good. I then proceeded to take all my pictures and told them to save every scrap of paper they found in the vehicle, I wanted it all. (Which they did a great job of. When I picked up the car it was clean and they had all the paperwork and stickers for me with the exception of one still attached to a window that they started to have problems getting off so they just left rather than rip. They hadn't even removed the shrink-wrap from around the manuals. They had also left the front plate holder in the trunk even though Ohio requires both front and rear plates.)

So I left Friday evening and spend an entire weekend second guessing myself. Realize, at this point I's seen the car. I'd sat in the car. I'd even started it up. But I hadn't even take it for a test drive; I'd driven 07 Mustangs so I (thought I) knew what I was getting, it wasn't really neccessary. Did you really need to do this? Was this just an impulse buy? You weren't planning to do this yet, shouldn't you have waited?

So I sat at my desk Monday for as long as I could, then left early and drove over to the dealership. I took the keys, started it up, then spent about ten minutes putzing around the lot getting used to a stick again. (It's been a few years since I drove a manual on a daily basis.) Then I pulled out of the lot and headed up the road. I'd made it about three blocks before every one of those questions I had all weekend went right out the window! I was in LOVE!

And I still am. I am the happy owner of number 5641, a black five-speed, with the IUP, Shaker 1000 with satellite radio, active anti-theft, and locking wheel kit. (And later this week, sequential tail lights and lower grill from SAI. Driving/fog lights, too, as soon as I figure out whether I'm going to wait for SAI or do something else.)

If I'd done it from scratch I'd probably have done it a little different but I'm not looking back. As a matter of fact, I'm looking forward. I've got a trade show in February in Las Vegas and I'm now leaving a day early to give me time to go to SAI and see if I can find D.O. (the initials on my windshield) and shake his hand and tell him what a great job he did.

So thanks to everyone for some great information and I'll be hanging out here very often.

Good evening.

Wow!!! I am impressed with the response from each of you......thanks again!!! :D

In regards to Baronmeister's question, I am located in Delaware. There are SGT's at the dealerships in Delaware and Marion......north of Columbus, OH. Also, thanks for sharing your interesting adventure to acquire your SGT! Like you, I am not disappointed with my purchase.

Again, I look forward to opportunity to share information and additional stories.

To all:

FYI: There is a Swap Meet coming up in November after Turkey Day in Columbus.....usually some good deals on old, new and hard to find parts/collectibles......I will be there!

Thanks for the getting back on your location, I've been through Delaware once or twice.

During the couple of hours of deliberation I was on the internet doing some research and saw a couple of listings in Marion, one black and one white.

Also, thanks for the info on the swap meet. I've got the day off so I may come up and see what's going on. There's a big meet in Springfield this weekend but I've got other commitments and can't go.

You are welcome for the info!

I purchased the Black SGT from Marion, I am more fond of the mgmt staff.

Unfortunately, I too have commitments this weekend. In regards to the swap meeting in Columbus, I believe it starts on Saturday the 24th and ends on Sunday the 25th.

Good evening.

Wow!!! I am impressed with the response from each of you......thanks again!!! :D

In regards to Baronmeister's question, I am located in Delaware. There are SGT's at the dealerships in Delaware and Marion......north of Columbus, OH. Also, thanks for sharing your interesting adventure to acquire your SGT! Like you, I am not disappointed with my purchase.

Again, I look forward to opportunity to share information and additional stories.

To all:

FYI: There is a Swap Meet coming up in November after Turkey Day in Columbus.....usually some good deals on old, new and hard to find parts/collectibles......I will be there!

I am up just north of Findlay. I have never been to a swap meet what goes on there? Do you drive your car there to show off? I am really getting the Shelby bug and want to learn more.

I am up just north of Findlay. I have never been to a swap meet what goes on there? Do you drive your car there to show off? I am really getting the Shelby bug and want to learn more.

A swap meet is like a Flea Market for car parts and accessories. You can find used parts for old cars and new parts for your old and new cars. Some swap meets have areas where you can show your car, but the one in Columbus does not. They also have an area where you can display your car if you want to sell it. Also, there are vendors who sell tools, car collectible items such as brochures, scale models and various other car theme products. Just fun to walk around and look at all the stuff.

I hope this helps!

A swap meet is like a Flea Market for car parts and accessories. You can find used parts for old cars and new parts for your old and new cars. Some swap meets have areas where you can show your car, but the one in Columbus does not. They also have an area where you can display your car if you want to sell it. Also, there are vendors who sell tools, car collectible items such as brochures, scale models and various other car theme products. Just fun to walk around and look at all the stuff.

I hope this helps!

Thanks!

Archived