TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Alarm Systems For Our Cars

clark17357

While this topic has probably appeared befroe, I could not get a bead on it. Add to that the fact that technology in car alarms/security systems changes rapidly and I concluded it was a topic worth discussion.

My car does not have any security system (I did not want the factory one because I knew I would be getting something aftermarket). What do the rest of you have or suggest? My car is not driven every day and, when not being driven is in a garage under a cover. Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Jim

While this topic has probably appeared befroe, I could not get a bead on it. Add to that the fact that technology in car alarms/security systems changes rapidly and I concluded it was a topic worth discussion.

My car does not have any security system (I did not want the factory one because I knew I would be getting something aftermarket). What do the rest of you have or suggest? My car is not driven every day and, when not being driven is in a garage under a cover. Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Jim

I suggest never parking her out of earshot and carrying a loaded side arm. :D

Maybe Lojack or Monkey in the trunk would require less Court days. ;)

I suggest never parking her out of earshot and carrying a loaded side arm. :D

Maybe Lojack or Monkey in the trunk would require less Court days. ;)

I have seen the Trunk Monkey but, like everything else that works well, they are illegal here in California. The loaded sidearm had potential but, just yesterday The Governator signed a law that semi automatic pistols (if you are going to defend your Shelby, you need firepower) must be capable of stamping information on each spent shell casing that identifies the pistol. Jim

I have seen the Trunk Monkey but, like everything else that works well, they are illegal here in California. The loaded sidearm had potential but, just yesterday The Governator signed a law that semi automatic pistols (if you are going to defend your Shelby, you need firepower) must be capable of stamping information on each spent shell casing that identifies the pistol. Jim

The trunk monkey is the <bleep> I want one of those :D

on the shell seriously ? :blink: just goes to show you should always police the area and get your spent casings. :D

The trunk monkey is the <bleep> I want one of those :D

on the shell seriously ? :blink: just goes to show you should always police the area and get your spent casings. :D

Yes, seriously. No one had bothered to look into what that will cost and all sidearms in existence before the new rule goes into effect are grandfathered in so that only leaves 20 million (WAG) out there, right. Now that you all know I cannot have a Trunk Monkey, what other security device should I get for my car? :) Jim

I decided to take this issue to law enforcement. I contacted a detective for the San Diego Police Department and an officer for the California Highway Patrol and both agreed with Rossgt - Lojack has to be part of the package. Jim

I heard they don't like being called "monkey" any more, they prefer "little almost people with hair". Al Gore has been pushing this alot!

I heard they don't like being called "monkey" any more, they prefer "little almost people with hair". Al Gore has been pushing this alot!

Al Gore invented the trunk monkey :lol: or was a trunk monkey I can't remember :D

I'm looking to put at least a GPS unit in mine. I would like to have open that texts/email me when the car moves. The only ones I've found so far require a monthly or years subscription. Any ideas?

The new GORE2000 -> http://www.patentlysilly.com/patent.php?patID=6982161 Buy your cows now and stop global warming! :lol:

They were trying to sell me one like that for my bike, it sounds more friendly then lojack. It actually tells you where the car is, I'd rather go bust a cap in his butt then call the popo anyway. :D

Check out this one, too... Mobile Guardian It looked pretty cool...

http://www.mymobileguardian.com/vehicle_tracking.html

Gary

We should have one of our resident dealers inquire about selling this through their dealership and give us all a great deal. Lojack would be great, but check with your local PD-their website says not all of them have Lojack capabilities.

just yesterday The Governator signed a law that semi automatic pistols (if you are going to defend your Shelby, you need firepower) must be capable of stamping information on each spent shell casing that identifies the pistol. Jim

WTF,THIS MY FRIENDS IS BOTH STUPID AND WRONG :angry: :angry: :angry:

We should have one of our resident dealers inquire about selling this through their dealership and give us all a great deal. Lojack would be great, but check with your local PD-their website says not all of them have Lojack capabilities.

Correct Lojack does not work unless the police departments have the receivers. I have been looking at other options such as:

http://www.uscaraudio.com/2_way_car_alarms/

http://www.directed.com/

The last one has links to Viper, Python etc. In addition they have optional auto starts for manual transmissions which are far and few between.

Good luck.

Correct Lojack does not work unless the police departments have the receivers. Good luck.

Is it your sense that, if LoJack is available in your area (which it is in mine), it is the way to go? Jim

Is it your sense that, if LoJack is available in your area (which it is in mine), it is the way to go? Jim

Sure if you plan on never taking your car out of town. ;)

Lojack is great and I will probably get it just for the extra insurance in major cities. (where lojack is most prevalent) I will also get one of the gps alarm systems just in case I head out to that car show in Timberdoodle. :blink:

My big question would be if they can track the vehicle if it leaves their recevier's coverage area-if the answer is no, I'd look for something else. If they can track it anywhere with their reciever, I'd get a lojack. I checked with the PD's in my area yesterday-they don't have lojack capability

Correct Lojack does not work unless the police departments have the receivers. I have been looking at other options such as:

http://www.uscaraudio.com/2_way_car_alarms/

http://www.directed.com/

The last one has links to Viper, Python etc. In addition they have optional auto starts for manual transmissions which are far and few between.

Good luck.

Good Info, I had no idea about the PD capability issues, will definately have to check into that.

Archived