TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What can be done to boost the performance of my Shelby GT?

TheKurgan

Ok I bought my Shelby GT a few months ago and I find myself wanting to take it to the local drag strip. What can the car god's at SA do to pump my car to it's maximum potential? I still want it to be an everyday driver, but also compete at the track. I know the Shelby GT weighs less than the GT500 so could it be possible to get quarter mile times faster than the GT500 with a couple mods?

Also would the work they do still fall under the factory warranty? Someone told me they can bore the engine out, put a supercharger on it, and just about anything I want to do. Is all this true? What kind of price range am I looking at and do they have financing?

Thanks in advance!

My site: http://studio7.co.nr/gallery2

Ok I bought my Shelby GT a few months ago and I find myself wanting to take it to the local drag strip. What can the car god's at SA do to pump my car to it's maximum potential? I still want it to be an everyday driver, but also compete at the track. I know the Shelby GT weighs less than the GT500 so could it be possible to get quarter mile times faster than the GT500 with a couple mods?

Also would the work they do still fall under the factory warranty? Someone told me they can bore the engine out, put a supercharger on it, and just about anything I want to do. Is all this true? What kind of price range am I looking at and do they have financing?

Thanks in advance!

I really don't think you can have it both ways. You either have a car that goes REALLY fast in a straight line or you have a quick every day driver. As has been said MANY times, this car is a well balanced one. Sure you could to some tweaks and get a few more hp here and there but all of these come with caveats and can effect the long term health of the vehicle. Ford and SAI did what they thought best to sell a car with a bumper to scoop warranty. Now, having said that, if you're a motorhead and know what you're doing have at it! But if you're a driver, well, I would leave well enough alone or buy a car meant to go faster by design.

IMHO!

Thanks in advance!

Even though I think the SGT is the best looking track/driver car on the road today, I still believe they should have allowed at least 60-80 more HP than a stock Mustang GT. My feeling is this, why did they even tempt us with the 19 HP overage of the Mustang GT? It's like a woman adding 1 extra cup size when she goes in for breat implants, if your going to do it do it right! So I have searched for the best of both worlds only to find one "mod" that would still give the car an everyday driver appeal and give it more HP for that track/strip feel. This is, per people on this board that have this car equiped this way, an SAI installed Whipple SC. This Whipple SC gives you better low end power than the Paxon SC that Shelby has been married to for years, since the early 1960's to be more exact. Also the Whipple will give you big time "off the line quickness" and with the SGT's handling package it can still carve the curves like no other Mustang too. So my take on this whole idiotic matter is this, if you want to spend $6-7K, have SAI install the Whipple SuperCharger. If you don;t want to spend that, go with a SCT tune and that will stop your whining for a week or two, then your back to the " this car should have more STOCK power" routine.

That's my .02 cents or should I say my $6-7K! B)

Ford and SAI did what they thought best to sell a car with a bumper to scoop warranty.

hmmmm....didnt know there was a scoop warranty. Does SAI know about this?

It's like a woman adding 1 extra cup size when she goes in for breat implants,

Hey, you gotta start somewhere........I have no problem (actually enjoy) these women. :):)

I really don't think you can have it both ways. You either have a car that goes REALLY fast in a straight line or you have a quick every day driver. As has been said MANY times, this car is a well balanced one. Sure you could to some tweaks and get a few more hp here and there but all of these come with caveats and can effect the long term health of the vehicle. Ford and SAI did what they thought best to sell a car with a bumper to scoop warranty. Now, having said that, if you're a motorhead and know what you're doing have at it! But if you're a driver, well, I would leave well enough alone or buy a car meant to go faster by design.

IMHO!

I dunno about that Matt. I think there can be a balance of both. Thanks for the tip on the supercharger. I think that is what I am going to go with. I do know a little about cars(thanks dad!) but the modern cars are a whole different wolrd. Having said that, I think I can get caught up real quick. I'm a Senior programmer/analyst where I work so I'm used to doing massive research.

I had an older stang(03 or so) that had a little bit more than I did on the freeway and it is just eating me up. I rolled the window down and asked if he had a supercharger and he said yeah so I have the choice...settle for second best or be the best :)

I dunno about that Matt. I think there can be a balance of both. Thanks for the tip on the supercharger. I think that is what I am going to go with. I do know a little about cars(thanks dad!) but the modern cars are a whole different wolrd. Having said that, I think I can get caught up real quick. I'm a Senior programmer/analyst where I work so I'm used to doing massive research.

I had an older stang(03 or so) that had a little bit more than I did on the freeway and it is just eating me up. I rolled the window down and asked if he had a supercharger and he said yeah so I have the choice...settle for second best or be the best :)

You got it! I think a lot of the people on this forum, not saying anyone in particular, just don;t really want to say that there car is ONLY 19 more HP than a "regular old Mustang GT", that does not surprise me. I even wanted to believe this at one time, but reality is reality, it is ONLY 19 MORE HP THAN A REGULAR GT! Many people try to avoid confrontation, with themsleves, over what they bought, and will stand up for things they really don't believe because they don't want to have BUYERS remorse or tell themselves they should of bought the SC or what ever. Hey this car is awesome so you don't have to have buyer's remorse or get down on yourself just realize, this car has ONLY 19 more HP than a regular GT, just admit it to yourself and move on. This car is beautiful BUT they cheaped out BIGTIME of the horsepower and they should be ashamed of that. I love the way my car looks BUT...

You got it! I think a lot of the people on this forum, not saying anyone in particular, just don;t really want to say that there car is ONLY 19 more HP than a "regular old Mustang GT", that does not surprise me. I even wanted to believe this at one time, but reality is reality, it is ONLY 19 MORE HP THAN A REGULAR GT! Many people try to avoid confrontation, with themsleves, over what they bought, and will stand up for things they really don't believe because they don't want to have BUYERS remorse or tell themselves they should of bought the SC or what ever. Hey this car is awesome so you don't have to have buyer's remorse or get down on yourself just realize, this car has ONLY 19 more HP than a regular GT, just admit it to yourself and move on. This car is beautiful BUT they cheaped out BIGTIME of the horsepower and they should be ashamed of that. I love the way my car looks BUT...

I had a Grabber Orange 07 GT 5Speed that I traded in on an 07 Vette because every time I tried to pay the dealer to modify it,I got the "You will void the warranty!!!!"Now let me tell you for 40,251$ GMS price that car was everything you could want,especially the 180 mph plus top end!But the insurance was killing me and the I need more power was getting out of hand!So I looked for a car that handled extremely well,sounded good,looked the part,and was reasonably priced.Settled on a SHELBY GT,knew going in that it didn't have near the power of the Vette,but this time,screw the warranty!!!I love the way this car handles,much better than stock GT,and you could barely get away with buying a GT,paying Ford to do the mods,and still have a warranty for those of you concerned with that.Besides down the road A SHELBY WILL BE WORTH MORE THAN A MUSTANG GT!So don't feel too bad about the lack of power,that can be handled with a supercharger,headers,tune etc.BTW when I wrote settled,I did not mean it in a bad way,I love this car but I see it as a base for a better car!!!There are lots of things that can be done,depends on your pockets.

I had a Grabber Orange 07 GT 5Speed that I traded in on an 07 Vette because every time I tried to pay the dealer to modify it,I got the "You will void the warranty!!!!"Now let me tell you for 40,251$ GMS price that car was everything you could want,especially the 180 mph plus top end!But the insurance was killing me and the I need more power was getting out of hand!So I looked for a car that handled extremely well,sounded good,looked the part,and was reasonably priced.Settled on a SHELBY GT,knew going in that it didn't have near the power of the Vette,but this time,screw the warranty!!!I love the way this car handles,much better than stock GT,and you could barely get away with buying a GT,paying Ford to do the mods,and still have a warranty for those of you concerned with that.Besides down the road A SHELBY WILL BE WORTH MORE THAN A MUSTANG GT!So don't feel too bad about the lack of power,that can be handled with a supercharger,headers,tune etc.BTW when I wrote settled,I did not mean it in a bad way,I love this car but I see it as a base for a better car!!!There are lots of things that can be done,depends on your pockets.

Thats OK because you realize & know what you have. +1

Very true , a very mild cam would add 30-40 RWHP , underdrive pulley 10 HP , BBK twin 62's 10 HP min, more aggressive tune and you are looking at 350 rwhp , with no forced induction less stress on the engine and it would be plenty fast too , and thats not even counting changing out the mufflers , headers .

Very true , a very mild cam would add 30-40 RWHP , underdrive pulley 10 HP , BBK twin 62's 10 HP min, more aggressive tune and you are looking at 350 rwhp , with no forced induction less stress on the engine and it would be plenty fast too , and thats not even counting changing out the mufflers , headers .

I don't think there is any better way to get horsepower then with a blower. When it comes down to bang for the buck nothing else comes close, but to me maybe better then that is the fact that there is basically no stress on the motor unless you have your foot in it. You pay a very small gas mileage penalty especially when compared to getting some real HP normally aspirated.

I don't think there is any better way to get horsepower then with a blower. When it comes down to bang for the buck nothing else comes close, but to me maybe better then that is the fact that there is basically no stress on the motor unless you have your foot in it. You pay a very small gas mileage penalty especially when compared to getting some real HP normally aspirated.

or

You could always spray it.................... :)

Well thats not exactly true , as long as the belt is on the blower its dragging on the engine it just has Much more drag and its eating up 50 to 60 hp to make the 450 -500 rwhp , also the engines are stock and have not been clearance for forced induction I.E. ring gap ,main bearing clearances , rod bearing clearances . If you ask any good engine builder do they build an engine differently for a force induction application they will tell you yes. Now that being said I'm not saying that the engine is going to blow up it just reduces the longevity in the engine and more so than adding bolt ons.

Well thats not exactly true , as long as the belt is on the blower its dragging on the engine it just has Much more drag and its eating up 50 to 60 hp to make the 450 -500 rwhp , also the engines are stock and have not been clearance for forced induction I.E. ring gap ,main bearing clearances , rod bearing clearances . If you ask any good engine builder do they build an engine differently for a force induction application they will tell you yes. Now that being said I'm not saying that the engine is going to blow up it just reduces the longevity in the engine and more so than adding bolt ons.

I've talked many times about the Kenne Bell (which we decided this weekend while pondering jacking the credit card with a blower purchase to wait until it's out of warranty before modding that much) but I've seen some pretty impressive twin turbo set-up's. The turbo's are not supposed to be as hard on the engine and with 4:10's for take off, I would think the turbo lag come be overcome pretty easily.

That Helion is WOW impressive.

I've talked many times about the Kenne Bell (which we decided this weekend while pondering jacking the credit card with a blower purchase to wait until it's out of warranty before modding that much) but I've seen some pretty impressive twin turbo set-up's. The turbo's are not supposed to be as hard on the engine and with 4:10's for take off, I would think the turbo lag come be overcome pretty easily.

That Helion is WOW impressive.

Turbo's are arguably the most efficient way to get some boost. Lag is a big issue and not that easy to over come. I don't think running the pump on a blower is inducing much in the way of engine wear. I think that under full boost depending on the boost levels you may be pushing the motor pretty hard, but boost is boost turbo or blower.

I've owned some turbo stuff in the past and thought they had pretty much gotten past the lag issues by now, but I was surprised recently when I drove a neighbors new Mazda speed. This car fell of the pipe with every shift, it appeard to me the only way to get a good run with this thing was to power shift.

Any added HP reduces longevity to some extent. What I like about blowers is that they are in bypass more often then not, so no real wear is being induced. Typically a normally aspirated motor you are going to bump compresion increase lift and duration on the cam make it breath better etc..etc... This induces wear all the time and is usually pretty hard on fuel economy as well, not to mention that getting that same 475 rear wheel HP will be expensive indeed.

Turbo's are arguably the most efficient way to get some boost. Lag is a big issue and not that easy to over come. I don't think running the pump on a blower is inducing much in the way of engine wear. I think that under full boost depending on the boost levels you may be pushing the motor pretty hard, but boost is boost turbo or blower.

I've owned some turbo stuff in the past and thought they had pretty much gotten past the lag issues by now, but I was surprised recently when I drove a neighbors new Mazda speed. This car fell of the pipe with every shift, it appeard to me the only way to get a good run with this thing was to power shift.

Any added HP reduces longevity to some extent. What I like about blowers is that they are in bypass more often then not, so no real wear is being induced. Typically a normally aspirated motor you are going to bump compresion increase lift and duration on the cam make it breath better etc..etc... This induces wear all the time and is usually pretty hard on fuel economy as well, not to mention that getting that same 475 rear wheel HP will be expensive indeed.

That's an excellent analysis. What about some 4.10 gears? The strip I want to take it to is 1/8 mile so I'm thinking that swapping those out will also boost the beast. Obvisouly gas mileage is not a concern. Work is very close to my house and I don't drive it on rainy days so my mileage after 5 months is only 3500.

Just throwing this out there, I read that running twin turbos with two different size turbos, a small and a large, helps to overcome the lag since the small one spools up quicker. Any truth to that?

Turbo lag is almost a thing of the past if you set it up correctly , you have to match the turbo size (trim) to the engine needs and match the turbo flange and pipes up as well. Since the turbo works on exhaust gas is practically free HP . The Blower uses a belt and that robs power from the engine to make power ,so you put less strain on the engine with a turbo .Lets say you have a blower making 400rwhp to the gound and you have a turbo making the same amount on the same engine , the engine is having to produce more HP with the blower so all things being equal more boost to make the same HP = more stress on the engine plus you have a belt pulling on the front crank pulley putting more strain on the front main bearing . If I was to put a power adder on my 07 it would be this kit .

http://www.hellionpowersystems.com/data.05.mustang.html

That's an excellent analysis. What about some 4.10 gears? The strip I want to take it to is 1/8 mile so I'm thinking that swapping those out will also boost the beast. Obvisouly gas mileage is not a concern. Work is very close to my house and I don't drive it on rainy days so my mileage after 5 months is only 3500.

Gears will liven the car up considerably.

Turbo lag is almost a thing of the past if you set it up correctly , you have to match the turbo size (trim) to the engine needs and match the turbo flange and pipes up as well. Since the turbo works on exhaust gas is practically free HP . The Blower uses a belt and that robs power from the engine to make power ,so you put less strain on the engine with a turbo .Lets say you have a blower making 400rwhp to the gound and you have a turbo making the same amount on the same engine , the engine is having to produce more HP with the blower so all things being equal more boost to make the same HP = more stress on the engine plus you have a belt pulling on the front crank pulley putting more strain on the front main bearing . If I was to put a power adder on my 07 it would be this kit .

http://www.hellionpowersystems.com/data.05.mustang.html

As I understand it the issue with turbo lag is due to the impeller being driven by exhaust. Its one of the reasons that you see dual turbos alot, they are using two small impellers instead of one large impeller to lighten up the impeller so that they spool up faster eliminating lag. On a motor with some cubes you need quite a bit of volume so that has some impact on the size of impellers. Its an interesting idea, I hadn't seen before, if I understand you correctly you would use a small one to spool up and eliminate lag while the big one is spooling up. I know they have gone to ceramic impellers to lighten them up as much as possible and maybe ceramic bearings as well. The bearings used to have issues due to the extreme heat they were exposed to I know some folks were oil cooling the bearings and would pump oil to them even after you turned the car off for awhile.

This combination appeals to me.

How much does it cost to have a cam installed in these engines?

Thanks in advance!

Don't take this the wrong way, but I've always heard the best thing you can do to improve performance of the car is to take a driver's education course put on by a local car club / local race track. 90% of driving faster is 50% mental, as Yogi would say.

Even though I think the SGT is the best looking track/driver car on the road today, I still believe they should have allowed at least 60-80 more HP than a stock Mustang GT.

Sure the SGT could have had more power, but then you would have paid for it anyway, in fact lots more, for the car. Except for a few on this forum, most new how much power the car had before they purchased it, and were obviously OK with it or they wouldnt have. Some apparently did not know, or realized it later and have a case of buyers remorse. The car could have been manufactured w/ 60 to 80 more HP, but then it would have cost $5K more also. I think that the price, value, power and other features are on the mark w/ the SGT, assuming it is purchased at or below msrp.

Sure the SGT could have had more power, but then you would have paid for it anyway, in fact lots more, for the car. Except for a few on this forum, most new how much power the car had before they purchased it, and were obviously OK with it or they wouldnt have. Some apparently did not know, or realized it later and have a case of buyers remorse. The car could have been manufactured w/ 60 to 80 more HP, but then it would have cost $5K more also. I think that the price, value, power and other features are on the mark w/ the SGT, assuming it is purchased at or below msrp.

You say potato I say po tato. Needs more HP! B)

Archived