TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Summary of Hood Scoop Issues...

jaydub Mach1

Sorry, but I really tried the search feature to find out more about the infamous hood scoop issue, but I was overwhelmed with results!!! I didn't know where to start. Rivets, bolts, etc?? :blink: :blink:

Would one of the the seasoned members help out us newbees and briefly explain the history and the issues with the hood scoop?

Thanks, :)

*Inhaling deeply*

SAI:

The scoop does not fit correctly with the 8 bolts.

SAI released a "fix" which involved replacing the two front rivets with functioning bolts. This didn't work. The scoop still changes with heat and cold, floating and warping on the hood.

Forum Members:

I tried rivets. It worked but I didn't do it correctly.

Many suggestions have been made from superglue to replacing the rivets with bolts to double sided tape.

Nothing has worked. (except maybe that one guy who did super glue but I don't remember who)

SAI:

Adam and a few others have received the cars with the scoop riveted and this is supposed to be the fix although currently it is "do at your own risk" and SAI will supply the kit and instructions and refund up to $200 for labor.

Bud has stated the SAI "fix" is forthcoming but has not been officially released.

A few others opted early on to skip the scoop alltogether and go with the CS6 hood.

And still others (myself included) are looking at other hood options

Oh. Now I understand.

Thanks for saving me much time and much hair. I don't have much left to pull out!! :lol:

And thanks, too, since I'm sure you were at risk of your sanity to have to rehash it, again. :)

*Inhaling deeply*

SAI:

The scoop does not fit correctly with the 8 bolts.

SAI released a "fix" which involved replacing the two front rivets with functioning bolts. This didn't work. The scoop still changes with heat and cold, floating and warping on the hood.

Forum Members:

I tried rivets. It worked but I didn't do it correctly.

Many suggestions have been made from superglue to replacing the rivets with bolts to double sided tape.

Nothing has worked. (except maybe that one guy who did super glue but I don't remember who)

SAI:

Adam and a few others have received the cars with the scoop riveted and this is supposed to be the fix although currently it is "do at your own risk" and SAI will supply the kit and instructions and refund up to $200 for labor.

Bud has stated the SAI "fix" is forthcoming but has not been officially released.

A few others opted early on to skip the scoop alltogether and go with the CS6 hood.

And still others (myself included) are looking at other hood options

Oh. Now I understand.

Thanks for saving me much time and much hair. I don't have much left to pull out!! :lol:

And thanks, too, since I'm sure you were at risk of your sanity to have to rehash it, again. :)

As stump mentioned, I am one of the guys with the "fix." I am guessing that my car was probably about the 10th or so car that got the fix where they installed real rivets replacing the fake ones. So far, my scoop still looks awesome and I have no complaints at all.

And, to add to it, I was out at SAI in July and drove my car around for 2 days before they replaced all the fake rivets with real ones. Then, in July, when I first saw my car, the scoop looked great. After driving it for a short while, I had noticed the scoop already lifting and warping from the heat. It looked pretty bad. Then I saw some guys in the factory installing the rivets in another car and learned of the new fix. Again, now my scoop looks awesome.

I keep trying to tell others here on the forum to get the rivets installed but understandably some are concerned as they can't trust their local dealers to do the work to their standards. Again, I understand and would probably be in the same boat, although I would have trusted my dealer Tasca Ford.

I assume your car hasn't yet been built. I wouldn't worry at this point as your car will not only have the fix for the scoop, but other issues ahve been resolved as well.

Good luck

I wonder aodwyer, if yours is doing so well, why SAI has not announced it yet as being "the fix"? Maybe they are just making certain that you don't have any issues???

Sorry, but I really tried the search feature to find out more about the infamous hood scoop issue, but I was overwhelmed with results!!! I didn't know where to start. Rivets, bolts, etc?? :blink: :blink:

Well to add to the seemingly never ending saga I was at Greenway Ford in Orlando today and they have 2 SGT's on the lot.

One in the 4300+ CSM range had a hood scoop with rivets that were more than likely installed by SAI and it looked perfect. I was very jealous.

The other one, which has been there for months, had a hood scoop with rivets that must have been done by the dealer and it looked like CRAP. Rippled flange, rivets sunk into the plastic, the infamous bulges.

I've been through 3 scoops and I would almost swear that the 4300+ series car with the factory installed rivets had a different scoop. The silver stripes were a little flat (not as shiny) and there were no bulges or bumps to be seen at any angle.

Anybody from SAI have some news for the 4000+ owners with the defective scoops?

Well to add to the seemingly never ending saga I was at Greenway Ford in Orlando today and they have 2 SGT's on the lot.

One in the 4300+ CSM range had a hood scoop with rivets that were more than likely installed by SAI and it looked perfect. I was very jealous.

The other one, which has been there for months, had a hood scoop with rivets that must have been done by the dealer and it looked like CRAP. Rippled flange, rivets sunk into the plastic, the infamous bulges.

I've been through 3 scoops and I would almost swear that the 4300+ series car with the factory installed rivets had a different scoop. The silver stripes were a little flat (not as shiny) and there were no bulges or bumps to be seen at any angle.

+1

I got a replacement scoop last week. Same scoop, no rivets, and already had a sunken looking middle section. We decided not to install it. I don't think there is any meaningful change to the scoop as yet, even on the 08, except to rivet all around. However if you ask for a replacement scoop you need to ask for the rivets or they will not come with the replacement.

I am with Cuda on this...3rd scoop....same old problems. Really getting tired of waiting for an announcement. This is very frustrating since they are now producing 2008's , but have yet to corrected the first 4000 issues. I am starting to think we are being ignored here, and that is even more frustrating.

Cuda..if you find a dealer that you think will do a good job over your way, let me know when the time comes.. I iwll bring my car over your way. Worth the trip to have it done right. My local Ford dealer doesn't even have a body shop.

SAI needs to step up to the plate and get our fix done on these cars.

Just my two cents....sorry to sound negative..as normally that is not me..but this has caused me to feel negative :( Honestly...that is why I have stayed away from this board...just so upset that this isn't addressed yet. At least one post...tell us what is going on.

So are you guys saying there is more than one issue, or is the issue just the rivets? Meaning, are some of you getting replacement scoops that have some sort of damage, warpage or other issues already before being installed?

I don't know if it is possible to have an absolutely flawless or perfect scoop since it is a flat piece of plastic sitting on a curved piece of metal. I think there is likely to be some sort of bump from warpage (guess it is based on each individual and what they find to be acceptable). I have a small noticeable bump in mine. I don't mind it at all. It gives character - just like adults used to tell me growing up when I was embarrassed about my crooked teeth - it adds character. LOL

If it is only a rivet issue, I thought they announced here on the forum that replacement rivets are available and you need to work it through your dealer to get them replaced? I could be wrong. I therefore thought that not all dealers could be trusted to do a good job (as proven in cuda's post).

If it is just a rivet issue, I would really encourage you to reach out to SAI or your dealer to get the new ones installed - whether you install them yourselves or have the dealer do it. Ilmor, since you're in CT, I think some Tasca guys went out to SAI to get training. I don't know if that included scoop rivets or not, but check with them. sdear, come up for the ride to have Tasca do yours too - it will be worth it. LOL

Really, I wish the best for all of you with the scoop issues. I am sure it is incredibly frustrating and I wish I could help more to help you find someone to do the work.

Good luck

So are you guys saying there is more than one issue, or is the issue just the rivets?

Adam this issue is that the "rivets", regardless of what SAI is doing on the 2008's or your car, is STILL an unwarranteed fix. So much so that if you want it done you need to asked specifically to have it done. Just getting a scoop replaced does not get you the rivets. There is a message there. I don't expect the scoop to be perfect. But I know that if I just put the same scoop on the same way the problems will come back. If I rivet the scoop my fear is I ruin an opportunity later to use a different scoop or method. Drilling the hood is pretty permanent though the $599 factory painted take off's for sale are looking pretty good right about now.

Now to be fair...

I have done some digging and found Ford CS owners with issues and Rouche owners with issues with theirs, so while our issues are WAY MORE prevalent putting plastic on a hot metal hood seems to be a a REALLY BAD IDEA.

<_<

Adam this issue is that the "rivets", regardless of what SAI is doing on the 2008's or your car, is STILL an unwarranteed fix. So much so that if you want it done you need to asked specifically to have it done. Just getting a scoop replaced does not get you the rivets. There is a message there. I don't expect the scoop to be perfect. But I know that if I just put the same scoop on the same way the problems will come back. If I rivet the scoop my fear is I ruin an opportunity later to use a different scoop or method. Drilling the hood is pretty permanent though the $599 factory painted take off's for sale are looking pretty good right about now.

Now to be fair...

I have done some digging and found Ford CS owners with issues and Rouche owners with issues with theirs, so while our issues are WAY MORE prevalent putting plastic on a hot metal hood seems to be a a REALLY BAD IDEA.

<_<

Ahh, now I get it.

mine has a gap on each side but i think its fine...i rather not have any more holes in my hood than there already are.

8 is enough....wait a minute...was that a tv show? :blink: LOL :lol:

the 8 bolts are good enough. if u really want a good scoop that doesnt warp and REALLY looks awsome...get one fabricated from aluminum and make sure he puts the same curve in it as the hood and then get it painted. then get a good body shop to have it riveted on there.

plastic will always look cheap anyway, but its what they came with so plastic for me it is.

Also, Matt I will say that when I saw Adam's scoop I was impressed with how the sink hole in the middle of the scoop was gone. I think this is because once all the rivots are installed it holds the scoop in place firmly which wont allow the scoop to collapse in the middle.

"Plastic" is perfectly fine for this application...IF YOU USE THE RIGHT TYPE AND MAKE THE TOOL THE SAME CONTOUR AS THE HOOD!!!! Sorry the screaming but I am just so frustrated with this whole thing. The contour of the scoop on the hood side is absolute crap. Whomever created it should be canned. I am not sugar coating it anymore. It was half a*sses done and I wish they would just admit it. I dont want to hear how all the hoods from Ford differ and all that BS. And if there isnt an "official fix" then send out a mass emailing to ALL dealers who sold an SGT letting them know there is an issue and they are working on it. It is frustrating to see someone new come to the boards and tell us how their dealer is installing 4 more screws and a new scoop when in fact this isnt even close to the fix they are working on. The dealer calls someone ay SAI and is given this bogus info. It looks Mickey Mouse and very unprofessional. I really hate to see this kind of stuff take down a great company but it is happening. Remove thy head from the sand and address the problem properly SAI. For your sake more than ours.

I realize I will probably be banned for saying what I said but I dont care anymore. I am tired of tippy toeing around this issue and we have to act like we did something wrong. I am not being disrpectful but ban me if you must. Just remember we are the people spending the $40k on these cars.

Also, Matt I will say that when I saw Adam's scoop I was impressed with how the sink hole in the middle of the scoop was gone. I think this is because once all the rivots are installed it holds the scoop in place firmly which wont allow the scoop to collapse in the middle.

"Plastic" is perfectly fine for this application...IF YOU USE THE RIGHT TYPE AND MAKE THE TOOL THE SAME CONTOUR AS THE HOOD!!!! Sorry the screaming but I am just so frustrated with this whole thing. The contour of the scoop on the hood side is absolute crap. Whomever created it should be canned. I am not sugar coating it anymore. It was half a*sses done and I wish they would just admit it. I dont want to hear how all the hoods from Ford differ and all that BS. And if there isnt an "official fix" then send out a mass emailing to ALL dealers who sold an SGT letting them know there is an issue and they are working on it. It is frustrating to see someone new come to the boards and tell us how their dealer is installing 4 more screws and a new scoop when in fact this isnt even close to the fix they are working on. The dealer calls someone ay SAI and is given this bogus info. It looks Mickey Mouse and very unprofessional. I really hate to see this kind of stuff take down a great company but it is happening. Remove thy head from the sand and address the problem properly SAI. For your sake more than ours.

I realize I will probably be banned for saying what I said but I dont care anymore. I am tired of tippy toeing around this issue and we have to act like we did something wrong. I am not being disrpectful but ban me if you must. Just remember we are the people spending the $40k on these cars.

Well said Wabba I'm a farmer and very busy with the grape and walnut harvest,but when I'm done if they don't have a fix I'm calling my LAWYER.

I get mad when I read stuff like this, and so should SAI but not at the people, but at the situation! How did we get here and how can we fix this.

The window of opportunity is closing...

Anybody else see a pattern on this forum? The longer the silence from SAI, the madder the natives get. It reaches a certain point and they jump in saying they won't tolerate this kind of talk (if it devolves into attacks on SAI staff and employees) or if they say that there is a solution coming out soon. Then the natives quiet down for a bit and after a while, if nothing new comes out the process repeats.

Can't blame you early 07 guys. I'd be pissed too. Like I said before, give customers the option to opt out of the decorative $70 hood scoop, which is causing more headaches than it's worth.

From their perspective. I know that this issue has got to be pissing them off too. We know they are trying to solve it and maybe they just don't have anything new to say at this point.

Bottomline is I think it ok to express anger on here about this issue as long as it doesn't go into personal attacks on the SAI staff/employees. JMO.

Been saying it for a while also.

This is a joke. The next time I hear someone tell me to buy American, or buy a Ford, these are the reasons why people don't, and won't.

I love my car, but for 40k, the hood scoop should be made right. It's unbelievable that they went into 08 production with the same <bleep> problem.

No communication, cheap ass fixes, typical American car company BS.

Hell, I'm in Michigan and it's killing our economy, but it's our own <bleep> fault.

Fix the scoop, communicate with your owners.

It's a crappy way to do business. To let a 50 dollar hood scoop ruin a 40k car and the impressions of owners, and FUTURE potential owners.

Guys, I think I said this somewhere, we have a fix, its the rivits, but a lot of dealers cant or wont do it. Its an easy fix, and we have even sent out the rivits to some to do themselves. we are working on something else for the dealers, we are testing it now. Its a newer fasteners setup. We are focusing on getting this done, so all are happy

I agree with Blue, We will not sit here and be insulted, there is no need for that. we are listening and we are working on these items. I am sorry I haven't been on here as much, I should be and will try to do this more.

AmyPS, greengiant, you need to tone it down, this car is njot cheap, all first year production cars have some issues, we are fixing them. TONE IT DOWN

Amy - eventually when the fix and issues with the scoop are resolved, I assume that I will be able to have the Tasca Ford / Shelby Mod Shop perform the fix for me under warranty? Certainly that should not be a problem I would think.

BTW: I don't think it's a good idea for the President of a company to personally attack an upset customer in public. You might want to "tone it down" as well and take this private. You aren't helping and perhaps worse, while I trust not meaning to, so to speak throwing gasoline on the fire.

Tasca Ford would be able to do it regardless of the its Mod Shop status as a Ford dealer. I don't think the Mod shop guys have any special 'hood scoop' training as technically that's not a mod. The scoop is a Ford Warranty issue not a mod shop job. However having said that, TASCA can use who ever they want to do the work so it's really a question for TASCA not Amy.

Oh, oh, you are in trouble now! SAI needs to sh*t or get off the pot! enuff said!!!!!!

Have lots I could say,but won't as it's non-productive regarding this issue,and,how it's been/being handled.....via perceived from an internet standpoint.

Only thing I'll add is,I have thought out a fix for the hood sccop,and I believe it will definately improve it,using the current scoop. I can verify my thoughts,upon removal of the scoop,and checking the plane of the anchor,with a flat/steel rule.

I and others have waited patiently for a fix,and understand SAI wants a long-term fix. It doesn't help,having promises I.E. "shortly" used in terminology,and yet as of this date,no concrete solution.

Possibly SAI can reword it,and say something along the lines,"We hope/will have a permanent solution within X time etc etc"

On a sidenote,my wife works in a managerial/administration position,and she has discussed with I,what SAI is doing correctly,and incorrectly,in her eyes. I won't discuss it here but will say,I understand what she's saying,and agree with her.

Matt, You are treading on very thin ice. My suggestion, go drive your car a while. Roll down the windows. Enjoy the Autumn Weather.

Your friend's body shop added styrofoam?

While we have not made an official announcement on the hood scoop, we are working on a "fix" that works. The rivits, done properly, works wonderfully. We are working on the announcement. Meanwhile, ONE expressed concern per owner is appreciated. More than that is NOT.

-John

Archived