TEAM SHELBY FORUM

rear axle rusting

fatboy_merged

i was reading one of the other strings of posts and came across comments about the rear axles and shock mounts rusting. has anyone else noticed that thier shelby's are doin the same?

is this normal or bad? :huh:

mine is starting to rust too after only a month

It must be because you never ordered any upgrades so they never installed anti-rust on your car! :lol::lol:

They're all doing it, so I think that means its normal! But, I intend to wire brush and paint mine a nice flat black or whatever color it already is sometime soon.

They're all doing it, so I think that means its normal! But, I intend to wire brush and paint mine a nice flat black or whatever color it already is sometime soon.

will the rust eat through and comprimise the structural integrity of the parts? WHY, FORD? WHY?

MY 95 F-150 DIDNT DO THIS TO ME! WHY MY SHELBY?

thats a pain in the butt...i'll have to cover everything else with plastic and tape to paint it :ph34r:

edit: this sucks. its gonna be an all weekend job...wire brush: scrape scrape scrape; paint; dry; 2nd coat; dry; 3rd coat; dry dry dry dry....inspection...drive...final inspection...

to be honest i rather remove all the parts that are connected to the axle (shocks, etc) so i can paint every nook and cranny

It may be a Shelby...but its still a Mustang...they all do this.

i know its a "mustang" shelby.....but but... but...ohhhh the humanity! why is there RUST...why didnt they paint that one part of the car when everything else was painted?

It must be because you never ordered any upgrades so they never installed anti-rust on your car! :lol::lol:

<_<

i know its a "mustang" shelby.....but but... but...ohhhh the humanity! why is there RUST...why didnt they paint that one part of the car when everything else was painted?

<_<

The parts they (Ford) use are nicely stored outside in the elements, so basically it was already rusty when your car was built.

Paint it with POR 15 and forget about it. I painted the entire frame of my ’64 Galaxie while the body was off and you end up with a very durable and nice looking finish. However, it is more to the shiny side. I have not noticed any rust reappearing. I got mine at a local parts store but you can order it from various catalogs as well – tough stuff and you can brush it on or spray it. I brushed the frame but my body guy sprayed the fender wells and underneath of the body. Just make sure not to get the stuff on anything you do not want black since it is nearly impossible to remove (garage floors, shirts, fingers, etc.).

Paint it with POR 15 and forget about it. I painted the entire frame of my ’64 Galaxie while the body was off and you end up with a very durable and nice looking finish. However, it is more to the shiny side. I have not noticed any rust reappearing. I got mine at a local parts store but you can order it from various catalogs as well – tough stuff and you can brush it on or spray it. I brushed the frame but my body guy sprayed the fender wells and underneath of the body. Just make sure not to get the stuff on anything you do not want black since it is nearly impossible to remove (garage floors, shirts, fingers, etc.).

+1 great stuff stays on face a long time, ask me how I know....works better on metal :D

Mine was on a lift yesterday for its first oil change, and the shop guy let me wander around and stare (I never get to see that view, and I'm a geek, so...). My rear axle has the same light surface rust.

Jer

p.s. Yes, I had to resist the urge to grab a rag and start detailing.

Most cars I own have some surface rust, check Eastwood site used chassis black after cleaning mine turned out nice but I do not drive car in rain and will not use in a Wisconsin winter road salt capital of the World,but really check Eastwood they make nice products.

• 2 weeks later...

My car is 6 months old, and never driven in the rain. Has 3020 miles on it....and lookie at the rust.

RearEndRustRepair002.jpg

RearEndRustRepair003.jpg

RearEndRustRepair004.jpg

RearEndRustRepair005.jpg

RearEndRustRepair006.jpg

RearEndRustRepair007.jpg

RearEndRustRepair008.jpg

I spend some time and painted on some rust converter. You have to wear gloves and glasses and dont get it on your plastic hoses or bushings.

RearEndRustRepair015.jpg

RearEndRustRepair017.jpg

After painting on the Rust converter with a small brush...it kills the rust and turns it to Black primer that is sandable.

RearEndRustRepair018.jpg

RearEndRustRepair019.jpg

RearEndRustRepair020.jpg

RearEndRustRepair024.jpg

The Rust converter has to cure 24 hours before you can put a finish paint over it. Tomorrow night after work, I will clean, sand, and mask off the car. and spray 3 coats of Acrylic Enamel on the rusted areas.

This is the pait I will use.

RearEndRustRepair011.jpg

I let the rust restorer set up and cure 24 hours like it said, and then wrapped my car in a cacoon, so I could start painting the rusted rear end parts tonight. I then started masking off all the stickers under the car and the parts that I did not want paint on. That took about an hour or so to do. Not a big deal. A masking machine helps it to go quicker.

Here is what the masking looked like before I started painting:

RearEndRustRepairPart2014.jpg

RearEndRustRepairPart2015.jpg

RearEndRustRepairPart2001.jpg

RearEndRustRepairPart2002.jpg

RearEndRustRepairPart2006.jpg

RearEndRustRepairPart2007.jpg

RearEndRustRepairPart2008.jpg

RearEndRustRepairPart2009.jpg

RearEndRustRepairPart2010.jpg

RearEndRustRepairPart2013.jpg

Here is how the wheel wells should look:

RearEndRustRepairPart2016.jpg

RearEndRustRepairPart2017.jpg

RearEndRustRepairPart2037.jpg

RearEndRustRepairPart2038.jpg

Here is what my finished paint job looks like.

RearEndRustRepairPart2017.jpg

RearEndRustRepairPart2021.jpg

RearEndRustRepairPart2022.jpg

RearEndRustRepairPart2023.jpg

RearEndRustRepairPart2024.jpg

RearEndRustRepairPart2025.jpg

RearEndRustRepairPart2027.jpg

RearEndRustRepairPart2028.jpg

RearEndRustRepairPart2029.jpg

RearEndRustRepairPart2031.jpg

A few more:

RearEndRustRepairPart2039.jpg

RearEndRustRepairPart2040.jpg

RearEndRustRepairPart2041.jpg

RearEndRustRepairPart2042.jpg

RearEndRustRepairPart2043.jpg

RearEndRustRepairPart2044.jpg

RearEndRustRepairPart2045.jpg

This morning I cleaned up the inside of my rims before I put them back on. The black wheel wells look good now, and the brake calipers look nice and black.

A couple shots of the job now that the tires are back on:

RearEndRustRepairPart2051.jpg

RearEndRustRepairPart2052-1.jpg

RearEndRustRepairPart2055.jpg

RearEndRustRepairPart2053.jpg

Wow, after seeing all that work, I'll just keep the rust!

Seriously, though...I agree with the POR 15 comment above; that stuff works great. Just paint it on and your done. Much easier.

It really was not that much work. 3 hours the 1st day. 3 hours the 2nd day. On the 3rd day it took 1 hour to put the tires back on and clean the mess up. 7 hours total. and it looks new, not like a rust bucket.

Here is a video of the finished product:

th_Sep152007-VID00001.jpg

Grabber, Do you have any more pics!!!!!!!!! I couldn't see the details :D LMAO Good post, but I think you're scaring people on here with all that work. But obviously you've done it right. Nothing wrong with being a little anal. :)

Welcome to the site, from one PNWer to another.

Dave

Nice Car Gabber:

I would like to thank you for the pictures of your reconditioned/painted axle.

I am new to this forum and am anxiously awaiting the delivery of my 08SGT. To own a Shelby has been a dream of mine since I turned 16 in 1980.

I intend to painting the axle of my car as soon as it arrives. After rotissouri restoring a 1969 Fastback ten years ago, painting the rear axle looks like a simple weekend project. (A little time and patience). Note that I had to sell the 69 FB to purchase the 08SGT.

I have really enjoyed this forum and all the helpful information.

Keep it up guys.

Your going to have to clean your own Butt. :D

Oh come on now grabber---what about a group discount?? I'm in if you're doing them...I grill a mean steak and always have frosty beverages for my hard working guests!!!!! :lol::lol:

Wheel wells look much better and whole thing overall looked great..nice work.

Oh come on now grabber---what about a group discount?? I'm in if you're doing them...I grill a mean steak and always have frosty beverages for my hard working guests!!!!! :lol::lol:

Wheel wells look much better and whole thing overall looked great..nice work.

The wheel wells were a very sore spot for me. Ford did a crappy job on mine period.

Look at them. They did a half way job of trying to paint them black. I mean come on! :angry:

RearEndRustRepairPart2001.jpg

RearEndRustRepairPart2011.jpg

Now I have a crisp Black look between my tires and the wheel wells. :)

RearEndRustRepairPart2052.jpg

The wheel wells were a very sore spot for me. Ford did a crappy job on mine period.

Look at them. They did a half way job of trying to paint them black. I mean come on! :angry:

.....you wouldn't have that problem if you would have correctly choosen a black GT500. :P

Grabber, that's weird about your wheelwells - I think. On my white SGT, the wheelwells are a nice, solid black throughout from the factory.

Any other owners find this to be different?

Grabber, that's weird about your wheelwells - I think. On my white SGT, the wheelwells are a nice, solid black throughout from the factory.

Any other owners find this to be different?

Mine are not!My wheel wells looked like Grabbers from the factory,Mostly White!Possibly your dealer detailed your wheel wells?

Archived