TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Oil Change frequency

shelbydream1

How often are you non-daily drivers planning on changing your oil?? I ususally go 3 months or 2500-3000 miles on my other vehicles, but at the current rate, I'd only be about 1200 miles at the 3 month mark. I was told by a friend who is a mechanic that if the car is using synthetic or synthetic blend and just a recreational driver that you could go 6 months or 3000 miles, but I'm not sure I want to do that either. What frequency are you guys going with?

How often are you non-daily drivers planning on changing your oil?? I ususally go 3 months or 2500-3000 miles on my other vehicles, but at the current rate, I'd only be about 1200 miles at the 3 month mark. I was told by a friend who is a mechanic that if the car is using synthetic or synthetic blend and just a recreational driver that you could go 6 months or 3000 miles, but I'm not sure I want to do that either. What frequency are you guys going with?

I have Amsoil full synthetic in mine and I'm changing it at 6 months. The recommended interval with their oil and filter is 25,000 miles or one year so I figure 6 months with almost no mileage should be ok.

I am going to follow manufacturers reccs for months or miles, whichever comes first in order to maintain my warranty requirements.

I am going to follow manufacturers reccs for months or miles, whichever comes first in order to maintain my warranty requirements.

I was worried about the warranty on mine and was very resistant about changing. My brother is a dealer fof them and hounded me pretty good about changing. According to him the manufacturers cannot void your warranty if you stay with the recommended weight of oil regardless of the brand. Apparently there was a law pushed through congress a few years ago that allows changing brands to keep the manufacturers and oil companies from tying you to certain brands. Plus Amsoil warranties the engine if you follow their guidelines.

I was worried about the warranty on mine and was very resistant about changing. My brother is a dealer fof them and hounded me pretty good about changing. According to him the manufacturers cannot void your warranty if you stay with the recommended weight of oil regardless of the brand. Apparently there was a law pushed through congress a few years ago that allows changing brands to keep the manufacturers and oil companies from tying you to certain brands. Plus Amsoil warranties the engine if you follow their guidelines.

Maybe so, but who wants to go through the hassle of debating this with them? Not me. How do you prove what oil you used to them, or that you followed their guidelines? Very difficult to do in reality.

Archived