TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Racing Pony Cars

RogerS

As a serious NASCAR fan I think it would may be interesting but I doubt it will be what we all hope for. Most likely they will be very similarly shaped bodies with Mustang, Challenger, Camaro sticker headlights and badges. One of the reason NASCAR is popular is because of the close racing and that comes from tight control by NASCAR. A lot of that control is in the body.

As far as Toyota. They don't have a pony car or even a sports car at this point (do they still make the Supra or Celica). I have heard the Solara mentioned which is basically a two door Camary. It doesn't have the pony car shape and also has a better aerodynamic front then the Mustang, Challenger, Camaro.

Heck it seems most NASCAR fans don't care about the manufacture war anymore. They car more about their favorite driver. There was a lot of discussions last year on the radio about Mark Martin switching to Ford. The offended fans were his old school fans. This year Tony Stewart is switching to Toyota and a lot less people seem to care.

Cool, but what ever happened to the Trans-Am series? I remember way back when (5 - 10 years ago) that (Tommy?) Kendall drove a green and white mustang that absolutely dominated the field for consecutive years. I don't remeber all the makes and models that were present, but I definitely remember that there were more than a couple of Jaguar XKs running around. I think that Kendall may have switched to one of these during the early 2000s, but the memory is fuzzy...

In any event, it was entertaining to watch, and I'm all for the proposed switch, especially if the Nextel drivers can be made to back the heck off so that the up-and-coming drivers get a shot at making a name for themselves.

I think it would be great for NASCAR, if they will leave the bodies of the cars alone. I have been disgusted with the way the sanctioning body has handled the car designs since the mid 90's. Since Chevy debuted the new Monte Carlo, in 96 I think, NASCAR has turned the stock cars into completely unrecognizable blobs.

I don't know about everyone else but I want to be able to see a Ford on the track not something Brian France has dreamed up. Let the car manufacturers design the cars and let the teams race them. That is what NASCAR used to be all about.

As long as the bodies have a Mustang, Camaro, etc. appearance and a Ford or Chevy engine, etc. I'll be rooting for them! It'll be a great change and very popular I think.

Maybe Toyota is planning on this being their entrant...would defintely make more sense vs. the Camry Coupe.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...=73293658067221

That is UGLY!!!! :o

I think it would be great for NASCAR, if they will leave the bodies of the cars alone. I have been disgusted with the way the sanctioning body has handled the car designs since the mid 90's. Since Chevy debuted the new Monte Carlo, in 96 I think, NASCAR has turned the stock cars into completely unrecognizable blobs.

I don't know about everyone else but I want to be able to see a Ford on the track not something Brian France has dreamed up. Let the car manufacturers design the cars and let the teams race them. That is what NASCAR used to be all about.

Agreed-that car of tommorrow is a joke. They look exactly the same except for the sticker job, so how does the manufacturer's title even matter anymore with the introduction of this thing?

That is UGLY!!!! :o

Agreed-that car of tommorrow is a joke. They look exactly the same except for the sticker job, so how does the manufacturer's title even matter anymore with the introduction of this thing?

Thats what we really need RED NECK mustangs !!!

Archived