TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SGT Bra

ShelbyGT/SC

I searched this forum for bra's for the SGT to no avail so I'm starting a new topic. I thought I had seen some discussion of the subject but it must have been on SU. I was going to post this on the "bug shield" post but I wanted future searches to be easily found for "the bra" or "clear bra."

Anyway, I am very interested in getting some sort of protection for my car. I found these sites on SU and really love this clear bra. Does anyone know of someone here in New England who does this good a job with the clear bra as shown? If so, please post their contact info.

First, look at this site and watch the great video on post #9 (just prepare to protect yourself at the end of the vid - LOL):

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...showtopic=11142

Then, here is more:

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...wtopic=10902&hl=

Professor Roger, I'm sure you already know someone for this. Please let me know.

(Hey I like that, you need to change your user name to "The Professor." LOL)

I also considered the clear bra when I got my Shelby in March.

After talking to numerous installers and searching other Mustang forums, I realized that the total cost to cover the front of the car was anywhere from $500-$1000.

I then talked to a buddy of mine who has worked at a bodyshop for many years.. He has seen many cars where the clear film has turned yellow. Also, he said that, in some cases, the film is a pain to remove.

In the end, I decided I would rather pay $300+ dollars to have my bumper repainted in 5 years, than pay double that now for clear film..

Good luck..

Adam, Venturshield's North American Headquaters are in Rockland, MA and you have installers in Boston, Shrewsbury and Hadley. I would find out by visiting directly.

I have seen earlier and less sophisticated films that yellow and peel on very expensive cars. It is all about the installer the paint perparation and the product not in that order. With the warranty on the Ventureshield it seems like a no brainer. On black and dark colored cars exposed to the daily elements you need to be careful when washing and waxing the car because you will get a waxy residue alond the end lines. It's not a pretty sight. Also look at the warranty specifics below and the conditions of maintaining the warranty:

VentureShield® is warranted against cracking, bubbling, or yellowing for the life of your vehicle (see reverse side for details).

To achieve the highest level of protection and appearance,

follow VentureShield® care instructions. This is required to maintain the conditions of this warranty.

*Non-Transferable

Venture Tape Corp.

30 Commerce Road

Rockland, MA 02370

800-343-1076

www.venturetape.com

www.ventureshield.com

RETAIN THIS WARRANTY ALONG WITH YOUR ORIGINAL RECEIPT

CARE INSTRUCTIONS

NOTE: Before washing or other treatment, allow a minimum of 24 hours for VentureShield® to cure completely and for moisture to evaporate. Then wash periodically and follow the following care and maintenance instructions:

Apply Plexus® (Venture recommended) plastic cleaner per manufacturer’s instructions with a clean microfiber towel or chamois.

Remove any foreign material (i.e. bugs, bird droppings,

etc.) as quickly as possible in order to avoid permanent staining.

Wash car at least once per month

If using a high pressure wash, keep nozzle at least 36” away from VentureShield® edges.

For wax build-up around edges, gently use a cotton swab dipped in isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol.

DO NOT USE:

Powder based or abrasive cleaners

Solvent based degreasers

Rubbing compound, clay, or other type of abrasive material

High speed buffing or polishing equipment

Now here is the 3M warranty:

3M warrants that Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film, installed after November 1, 2003, will be free of defects in materials and manufacture — including yellowing, bubbling, or cracking — for five (5) years from date of purchase. This warranty does not apply to damage caused by misuse, accident, misapplication, or ordinary wear, nor does it apply to dents caused by physical impact of rocks or road debris.

Xpel as Milstang listed above utilizes 3M film.

It is really a case of pay me now or pay me later.

Good info Rossgt!

I had researched this when the Mustangs first came out and not looked into it lately. I had reasons to hold off for a few more months until I was heading back and actually had a car worthy of protecting. I will have to check out the Ventureshield as well now. I agree about you get what you pay for in many instances. Good luck on whichever anyone chooses...but let the rest of us know as well what your impressions are.

Owners of the Ford GTs have experienced similar issues. After a few years of addressing this same issue, and various owners trying to protect their vehicles' front ends in a similar manner using the various coatings products, most FGT owners have been paying the extra price for a bra. Each system (bra vs. coating) has its pros and cons, but FGT owners were not interested in repainting their front ends or experiencing discoloration.

If there is a significant enough expression of interest, I could contact the company that I have purchased the bra from for my FGT, and discuss a product line with them. I think it would be something they would be interested in doing because there is such a larger market for them with the Mustangs, ShelbyGTs, and ShelbyGT500s.

I will watch this string to see what happens, and then can go from there.

The dealer I bought mine at...Family Ford in Chicopee Mass had someone come in and install this on a few cars. I had never seen it on a car until the day I picked up mine and I was walking around waiting for the owner of the dealership to meet me and saw it. It looks good and you dont really notice it until you get close up. I wish I had done mine. I have a chip in my hood that I notice up by the front so I wont put it on until the hood gets repainted someday. The only issue I see with it is wax or polish along the edge of the bra. But that is an issue with the stripe anyway so big deal. With all you have done to your ride Adam I think it is a no brainer to have it done. Just tell your wife you are getting her some new longerie (sp) :)

IMO, 3M is the best way to go. I have installed and/or tested all of the films out their and 3M's quality at this time can't be beat. for certified installers go to www.3m.com/paintprotectionfilm. For precut kits I would use Xpel. They can be found at www.xpel.com

Skip

My firm uses many 3M products, including films, for one of our business lines. We also do very specialized coatings that have been patented for specialized military applications (aerospace and automotive in particular), so not just from a car owner's perspective, but from a techno-weenie's perspective, I and many others went with the bra. All too often, lots of firms and folks state they can do coatings... and only after the product has been installed (and not easily removed) do you find fundamental material incompatability issues with the underlying paints and clear coats. At least with a good, high quality, custom designed bra; you can take it off and periodically treat the underlying surface and coating.

Anyway, some additional thoughts on this subject.

are the front of your cars sagging? i thought thats what a BRA was for? :lol::lol:

my sister asked a guy this years ago when the bra for a car first come out and he told her with a straight face " to keep the front from sagging" a couple of days later she asked me "does the front of a car sag"

kinda funny at the time

michael morris

I searched this forum for bra's for the SGT to no avail so I'm starting a new topic. I thought I had seen some discussion of the subject but it must have been on SU. I was going to post this on the "bug shield" post but I wanted future searches to be easily found for "the bra" or "clear bra."

Anyway, I am very interested in getting some sort of protection for my car. I found these sites on SU and really love this clear bra. Does anyone know of someone here in New England who does this good a job with the clear bra as shown? If so, please post their contact info.

First, look at this site and watch the great video on post #9 (just prepare to protect yourself at the end of the vid - LOL):

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...showtopic=11142

Then, here is more:

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...wtopic=10902&hl=

Professor Roger, I'm sure you already know someone for this. Please let me know.

(Hey I like that, you need to change your user name to "The Professor." LOL)

My only suggestion, don't do it yourself, tried this on my SUV, ended up throwing out the material.

The Clear Bra product is made by 3M-think it is called Xpel.

Go to this website and use the Dealer Locator:https://www.xpel.com/products/dealersearch

By the way, I had mine put on before I drove 400 miles home from New Mexico. I could not be happier with the product.

Unless you look for it you never know it is there.

Good luck.

I prefer my car bra-less, and with this suspension, my passengers too!!! :D

The front end cover is almost on the market!!!!! I have been in contact with Colgan and they will make a bra if someone will bring their SGT to their company in Irvine CA to be measured. Then we will all be able to protect our vehicles. In the meantime email to maritzag@colgancustom.com

the more people that express interest the sooner this will be done. Please take the time to email even if you are not going to buy one immediately as it will help all of us.

Thank you

JS

Archived