TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Getting less than 15mpg, what's wrong with my car.

CrazyDave_merged

The computer is doing simple math here. It's taking the mileage and the total number of gallons of gas used to calculate the MPG. Why do you think it's wrong?

I think it's wrong because I believe the gallons measurment at the pump should be more accurate. How accurate do you believe the car can measure gallons used?

I think it's wrong because I believe the gallons measurment at the pump should be more accurate. How accurate do you believe the car can measure gallons used?

No idea. But how do you factor in the reserve, pressure in the tank, temp differences, etc. It would seem to me that if the car's MPG was BS there would be some sort of disclaimer.

The fuel tank has a bladder in it. This thing stretches and contracts with the amount of fuel in the tank, it's purpose is to allow fuel to be used without introducing air into the tank therefore reducing evaporation for emission control purposes. It's pretty good in warm or hot weather but it still doesn't allow the tank to hold the same amount of fuel on each fill up. When it gets colder you may notice your fuel capacity shrink a bit, maybe a couple of gallons or so.

Check out this article for gas saving tips:

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/fueleconomy/...42/article.html

On # 3 on the list above:

In my experience, you get better gas mileage without the cruise control rather than with. I feel the cc overcompensates for steep inclines.......so maybe it works better if you are in a flat area, but if you have mountains and long steep inclines.....not so much.

from my experience.

On # 3 on the list above:

In my experience, you get better gas mileage without the cruise control rather than with. I feel the cc overcompensates for steep inclines.......so maybe it works better if you are in a flat area, but if you have mountains and long steep inclines.....not so much.

from my experience.

x2. My wife does a lot of driving (unfortunately) and she says the CC hurts mileage for the exact same reason Wicked stated.

Also on the AC on/AC off thing, It depends on the car you drive. My Jeep has enough low end torque it makes no difference (oversize tires - going from 30x9.50's to 32x 11.50's - killed the mileage on the Jeep from 18-19 to 13-14 :o I need gears! ). It seems it's the same way with the Shelby although with it not being a daily driver for us, it's hard to know for sure.

My 87 Honda lost 2-3 mpg running on the highway with the AC on and it kills the engine power in the city but then that car has 0 torque and I think only made ~120HP brand new. When she used it as a DD she could get 30-32. I do 75% city driving and a lot of traveling between plants at work. With the AC off I'm getting ~24. AC on, ~20. Big difference. Of course she thinks it's my fault. :lol:

Our 03 Hyundai loses 2-3 mpg's with the AC on as well but that is my wifes DD and she gets her gas paid for so it doesn't really matter with that car. ;) So far that car has averaged about 25 mpg.

One thing that might be a factor is whether or not you keep the AC set on "Max AC." I have noticed while driving around this summer (also in Texas) that my gas mileage goes WAAAAYYY down when I have it set on "Max AC" vs. just putting it on the normal setting and turning up the fan. Might be worth experimenting with.

Is it the heat? the humidity? or my fat right foot? I don't know.

I only tromp on it a little, and I get just 14.8MPG.

I tromp on it a lot, I get 14.8MPG.

I use 93 octane, or 89 octane, I still get less than 15MPG.

I am getting less MPG now than when I first bought car. First tank was almost 16MPG.

All city driving. Is this normal?

I have read some posters getting way better mileage, I wonder if they are fibbing?

I get the same mileage as you. All city driving and all with the AC on.

Out of curiousity, I did a strictly "city" "stop and go" run yesterday, commuting to work. 11.5 miles each way, w/ the a/c running. According to my computer, the car achieved 17.6 mpg, the worst figure I have seen on my car.

I am getting less MPG now than when I first bought car. First tank was almost 16MPG.

I have read some posters getting way better mileage, I wonder if they are fibbing?

I get 19 around town from hear in Mo. to Indy avg 67 mph,, 26 miles to the gal ;) in over drive between 70 and 80 the tech sits on 2200 rpm ;) have a good day ;)

Did not get better gas mileage after disconnecting battery cables (15 min) then reconnect. Tried this after being told the computer reprograms itself and the result may be better gas mileage. MPG on the last four tanks were 18 mpg, 16 mpg, 17 mpg, 14 mpg.

The car now runs good at startup, but for five days after reconnecting the cable, it seemed to choke from lack of air or fuel.

I checked it the old fashion way, filling the tank and doing the math. I got 18.3 mpg for all around town driving <45 mph with the AC on 85% of the time. I haven't had it on a trip yet.

BTW the 2008 Camry with 6-cyl gets 19 mpg in the city.

I was pressing my info button.

It said "You're too fat, loose some pounds you'll get better mileage."

That's too much info. Must be the same weight measuring sensor in the drivers side as the passenger one.

The one that detects whether or not to shut off the airbag. Geeez.

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Dave my mpg went down alittle sence my origanal post to this topic but not much and i have got almost 5000 miles already , Maybe the white sgt's dont get as good mpg! :P LOL!!!!!!!

Archived