TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Motor Oil

SHELBYGT2007

I have not opened my book to the Mustang because I am trying to keep the car as original as I can and so I have been spending some time tonight trying to find what kind of motor oil I need to use when I change it here soon. Can anyone help me? I have as of this afternoon 612 miles on the Shelby GT.

Ben

Aw Jeez . . . nobody will knock you for cracking open the manual once or twice. If you are serious about preserving it, check under the hood. I believe the oil filler cap tells you to use 5W20 or 5W30. Ford = Motorcraft filters, I would assume. If they make motor oil, I'd think you keep it all in the family.

And not to start a huge debate, but I've always felt that motor oil is motor oil (unless it is synthetic, of course). More important than the brand is the fact that you change it on a regular basis.

Hi all,

I spoke to the techs and they are recomending exactly what the oil cap says---5w20. Using regular oil or synthetic is up to you. But, once you use synthetic oil, I would not recomened switching back to regular oil later down the road.

Bud

I plan on using the Ford 5w20 until I get about 3000 miles on my car, then I'm going to switch to full syn. Why? Because I just want to!

• 3 weeks later...

The oil is actually a senthetic blend. Thats what ford told me anyway.

When changing the oil don't forget to get the oil out of the oil cooler, otherwise you are leaving about a quart of dirty oil in the system.

The oil is actually a senthetic blend. Thats what ford told me anyway.

When changing the oil don't forget to get the oil out of the oil cooler, otherwise you are leaving about a quart of dirty oil in the system.

What is procedure ont that 07? Thanks.

Hi all,

I spoke to the techs and they are recomending exactly what the oil cap says---5w20. Using regular oil or synthetic is up to you. But, once you use synthetic oil, I would not recomened switching back to regular oil later down the road.

Bud

Hey Bud-

Can you talk to the techs again and clear up the question of when it's ok to switch to the synthetic? Everyone you ask seems to have a different answer and/or reason for it, so info straight from yor guys would be greatly appreciated.

My tech said it was OK to switch immediately. I did so. I switched to Mobil 1 at my first change and will keep using Mobil 1. I wont be putting 15,000 miles a year on mine. Probably 6,000 max so what 2 oil changes a year x $40 difference between semi blend and full synthetic??! Not much. Its worth the extra $$.

Don't know if this helps anybody, but Royal Purple recomends min. 2000 miles for gasoline motors.

Royal Purple Motor Oil

Can't find any type of mileage recommendation on Mobil 1's site, only ;

"Mobil 1 technology has been selected as original equipment by leading car builders such as Chevrolet Corvette, Cadillac, Mercedes Benz AMG, Porsche, Dodge Viper, and Dodge Ram SRT 10."

but they don't say if the OE is full synthetic or blend.

Don't know if this helps anybody, but Royal Purple recomends min. 2000 miles for gasoline motors.

Royal Purple Motor Oil

Can't find any type of mileage recommendation on Mobil 1's site, only ;

"Mobil 1 technology has been selected as original equipment by leading car builders such as Chevrolet Corvette, Cadillac, Mercedes Benz AMG, Porsche, Dodge Viper, and Dodge Ram SRT 10."

but they don't say if the OE is full synthetic or blend.

Are the later 2007 SGTs coming with a recommendation from SAI to use 5W-30 rather than 5 W 20? I think there is now a decal under the hood recommending the heavier oil.

Archived