TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Octane Tune Question

reedae1856

I know to use 91+ octane in my car. However, I am only able to find 93 octane. My question is... is our tune specifically for 91 octane? or is there an additional tune to make use of the 93 octane I am using.

93 is fine............

If you go with an aftermarket tuner, They can change the peramiters to make use of the higher octane (More timing). But, for the most part 93 is great for the 91 set-up.

The dealership actually put 87 in the Shelby on my first tank and I did not have any problems with pinging or clattering and yes, I drove it hard. Left the dealership with tires a smoking. I run 93 only now per the manual but It seems the tune is so mild, 87 works in a pinch.

I'm not recommending it I'm just commenting.....

Of course my Shelby also gets 21mpg with just general everyday driving so my car may be special. ;)

The dealership actually put 87 in the Shelby on my first tank and I did not have any problems with pinging or clattering and yes, I drove it hard. Left the dealership with tires a smoking. I run 93 only now per the manual but It seems the tune is so mild, 87 works in a pinch.

I'm not recommending it I'm just commenting.....

Of course my Shelby also gets 21mpg with just general everyday driving so my car may be special. ;)

I think your Shelby is just special.................... :)

Im sure it would depend on the climate and the ability of the knock sensors to pull the timing out of the engine quickly. So with that said, 87 may work ok, but, you will have decreased performance because the computer will be pulling time out of the car under heavy load (Acceleration) before you even think you hear pre-detonation (Pinging). 91 octane will let the timing last longer before , if any, pre-detonation was to happen. 91 = Good, 93 = better.

Unless of course its stump_breaker's Shelby which we all know is special..................... :)

I think your Shelby is just special.................... :)

Im sure it would depend on the climate and the ability of the knock sensors to pull the timing out of the engine quickly. So with that said, 87 may work ok, but, you will have decreased performance because the computer will be pulling time out of the car under heavy load (Acceleration) before you even think you hear pre-detonation (Pinging). 91 octane will let the timing last longer before , if any, pre-detonation was to happen. 91 = Good, 93 = better.

Unless of course its stump_breaker's Shelby which we all know is special..................... :)

Yeah, Like I said I wasn't recommending it I just know it didn't seem to hurt the car on 87. The reason I found it strange is on my 87 Honda there is a huge difference on the way the car acts between low grade and high grade gas and the same way on my 05 Jeep but not so much on the Shelby.

Must be all those computers, gizmo's and widgets and stuff.

Or, maybe they forgot to tune my car before it left the factory? :blink: :rolleyes:

Stump

Figured you were a good one to ask this. Tell us how to burn out...have problems here as the car grips too much and takes off. Have a five speed tranny. Thanx Steve

1. Turn off traction control

2. put in 1st gear and hold clutch.

3. rev motor to 3500 rpm's or so.

4. dump the clutch and at the same time floor accelerator.

5. Enjoy!

B)

Yeah, Like I said I wasn't recommending it I just know it didn't seem to hurt the car on 87. The reason I found it strange is on my 87 Honda there is a huge difference on the way the car acts between low grade and high grade gas and the same way on my 05 Jeep but not so much on the Shelby.

Must be all those computers, gizmo's and widgets and stuff.

Or, maybe they forgot to tune my car before it left the factory? :blink: :rolleyes:

LOL :)

Its amazing how cars run now with all that puter stuff. Long gone are the days of carb's, cam swaps on the weekend's ect.....

The good ole day's. :)

1. Turn off traction control

2. put in 1st gear and hold clutch.

3. rev motor to 3500 rpm's or so.

4. dump the clutch and at the same time floor accelerator.

5. Enjoy!

B)

Heh, Heh, Heh.............+100

Thanks for all the answers to the octane question. Also, thanks for the burnout tips. I always forget about traction control.

Stump- We will have to meet at Ennis and match our cars for the 1/4 mile. What you think?

That would be cool!....if I can ever get the time.

You're going to have to give me a lesson in track etiquette though.

Archived