TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Information from Coast Driveline

zdle

For those who were concerned about my recent post on the installation of a one piece aluminum drive shaft here is a new posting from Coast Driveline that is very informative;

Coast Driveline & Gear , Ventura Ca.

* SPECIAL NOTICE *

It has come to our attention that our competitors have expressed concern for clearance issues on our 4-inch aluminum driveshaft. They claim that their 3-1/2-inch diameter driveshaft is a better product because our 4-inch aluminum driveshaft has clearance issues. These claims are in-fact unjustified. We have sold hundreds of these driveshafts without a single problem. The only situation where clearance would possibly be an issue is when an aftermarket shifter has been installed.

With all things considered, our 4-inch driveshaft is actually a much safer design than the competitors' 3-1/2-inch driveshshaft. The key factor is the called "Critical Speed". Critical speed is the single most important aspect of driveshaft selection. Critical speed is simply the maximium speed that a driveshaft can spin at safely. Depending on the length, material and diameter of the shaft the critical speed can vary widely. The criical speed of the competitiors' 3-1/2-inch shaft is 6,963RPMs, while our 4-inch shaft increases the safe operating range by over 1000RPMs to a critical speed of 7992RPM. This increased safety margin is well worth the 1/4-inch reduction in clearance.

Still skeptical? Here's what the "Pro's" have to say:

"Because we were concerned with the rotating masses in the S197 we knew there was a very heavy two piece driveshaft. By working with this company we have been able to shed twenty-two pounds off the rotating mass in the driveline. We use their product in all our S197 Mustang’s; now Coast driveline has brought their product to the market with great success. This to me is a good example of how a relationship should work. Their products were tested hard, modified and retested in our road course work. Changes were then made and the end product is better for everyone, including the BDX production cars."

—Allan Crocket

Barber Driving Experience

So I assume the Hurtz shifter in your SGT is NOT a problem?

I have had no problems with this installation , I have driven in all conditions , over speed bumps in shopping malls , with a passenger in the car , and no noise or contact, I think the Hurst shifter is actually a very compact unit........................I also took the opportunity when the old drive shaft was out to spray the linkage of the shifter with dry film lube, (silicone) , move it throught the grears , and spray it again , did this a couple times , and it improved shfting the action alot.

Moving the one small Emergency Brake Calble is the only real mod to do on this install , and it doesn't take long.

ZDS

It's good they will post their critical speed numbers. A few of the local places I talked to when I was having mine built (for the truck) did not know what the critical speed of their shafts were. That's scary!....

Thats cause I e-mailed them your coments about from the first thread , you had some valid concerns , and I'm glad they made the effort to explain the design process and Numbers...............................Aint the WEB great for sharing.

zds

Archived