TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Scoop Fix

mffarrell

I heard (from a reliable source) that the rivets IS the fix but they are still working out details of how it gets done.

They are having me pay the dealer to do the work myself, and then send Shelby the bill for reimbursment.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are having me pay the dealer to do the work myself, and then send Shelby the bill for reimbursment.

Well in my case, this scenario wont be happening. Ford will pay and not me, even if it is refunded down the road. The really need to get it together between Ford and SAI.

You may have gotten the kit I got 3 weeks ago. It had the rivets and a set of instructions. My instructions had the disclaimer that this was not an authorized fix and the risk was mine if I proceeded. SAI would reimburse me up to $200 for a Ford dealer to do the install.

Since then SAI has said they are working on an "authorized" fix so I chose to wait. It now appears that they have, indeed, settled on the rivets but have not decided how it will be implemented.

Wado, did your instructions have the same disclaimer as mine?

You may have gotten the kit I got 3 weeks ago. It had the rivets and a set of instructions. My instructions had the disclaimer that this was not an authorized fix and the risk was mine if I proceeded. SAI would reimburse me up to $200 for a Ford dealer to do the install.

Since then SAI has said they are working on an "authorized" fix so I chose to wait. It now appears that they have, indeed, settled on the rivets but have not decided how it will be implemented.

Wado, did your instructions have the same disclaimer as mine?

I would have to look I don't have it handy sorry. I'll post later with it.

I would have to look I don't have it handy sorry. I'll post later with it.

Why doesn't SAI chime in here? Amy tolds us all a couple of months ago that fix was being sent to our dealers, and to make an appointment. This is getting very old. <_<

Wado, let us know how it turns out. Did the dealer say how long it would take?

I'm supposed to get it tommorow but I'm doubtful, they're doing quite a bit of stuff and they hadn't got far yesterday. I'm hoping friday...

Don't despair Waldo! I began my warranty repair journey in June and have yet to even get it in the shop and no parts have yet arrived! So I guess it could be worse! :(

Makes me cry to see my baby torn from hell to breakfast :( They are doing a fair amount of paint work, I had the smallest ding in the drivers side quarter panel, it was about the size of a BB, and they are painting the whole quarter all the way in to the top and down the front pillar. I really HATE having my car worked on I don't trust anyone to take care and do things right. They took that small ding and ended up pulling all the door window trim, my rear spoiler the quarter window and side scoop. It really makes me cringe when they start pulling interior stuff apart.

I'm sorry I didn't fully read it, I delivered it to the dealer yesterday, and the only disclaimer I saw was about doing the work yourself.

I talked to the SAI warranty rep and he still says the instructions are the same as I had before (he has no new info). Nothing's changed. It is still an unauthorized fix that they will reimburse the labor up to $200. However, he also says they have had people do this mod and have had no further complaints. :huh:

Well I wasn't all that excited about the fix for a number of reasons, and after talking to the body shop and hearing the same thing from the people there, I've decided to hold off on the fix. It sounds like I will have to remove my underhood blanket for my SC and I'm thinking those rivets will be very ugly. I'm thinking of getting some screws like the ones that are on it now but a little longer, seems like it would look cleaner on top and underneath.

Well I wasn't all that excited about the fix for a number of reasons, and after talking to the body shop and hearing the same thing from the people there, I've decided to hold off on the fix. It sounds like I will have to remove my underhood blanket for my SC and I'm thinking those rivets will be very ugly. I'm thinking of getting some screws like the ones that are on it now but a little longer, seems like it would look cleaner on top and underneath.

If you decide to go with screws, I bought the #6-32 screws x 1/2" long just to see if they are a good match. They are very close. In fact they look better. If you don't replace all the existing screws with these then I would buy some 1/4" long ones to replace the "short" screws that are currently in the scoop so that all the heads match. They aren't "exactly" the same but they are very, very close. You also may need different length screws based on whether you go through the inside stiffening panel or not.

http://www.fastener-express.com/index.asp?...TS&Category=221

I haven't done this mod yet, because I'm waiting to see what the official fix is.

This is a joke.

The only "fix" is unauthorized.

Unbelievable.

Great car otherwise.

Seems to me the plan is to drag it out, get a few people to do every half assed fix, until you either do the unauthorized, or just run out of patience.

Amazed they are going into 2008 production without it being totally fixed.

I think I am getting someone to reprlicate it in metal it will be better.

I agree, that would be the best way to do it. If someone can provide an aluminum replacement for us SGT owners I am certain that he would make a lot of sales!!

Isn't there a way to cut only part of the liner to clear? I'm guessing you are getting a roots or twin screw SC and the pulley is expected to rub on the liner. You could also drill the hood underneath to add some more plastic hood liner retainers around the cut out area if necessary.

My fix with rivets is still going strong. I have about 600+ miles and no issues. Again, who knows how it will look years from now, but until then, it's still going strong. I hope this helps any of you make the leap.

I would like to know if anyone has had their dealer do the rivet fix and how did it work out?

I was thinking of having it done yesterday and I called my dealer to set up an appointment. He wouldn't believe me that they are riveting the scoops now and he actually had an attitude about it. I tried to explain that it was a very recent change. His comment was they just got an SGT off the truck and it didn't have rivets. So I went up there to see it and no SGT on the lot.

I think I'll wait awhile because Bud responded to a PM of mine this week saying they are almost there with finalizing the rivet fix.

Isn't there a way to cut only part of the liner to clear? I'm guessing you are getting a roots or twin screw SC and the pulley is expected to rub on the liner. You could also drill the hood underneath to add some more plastic hood liner retainers around the cut out area if necessary.

I will definitely be looking in to that option. The issue is around the pulleys but they recommend pulling the whole blanket which I don't really understand. For those that have used the rivet fix does it let water through the rivet holes ?

Shelby told me today that rivets were the fix, and they are sending a kit that can be installed by the dealer, and warranteed by Shelby.

I got the same kit 4 weeks ago but decided to wait and see. The kit has the dislcaimer that this is not an authorized fix and the owner still proceeds at his onw risk. They will reimburse up to $200 for a Ford dealer to do the install paid to you after you submit a receipt to SAI.

I asked for another set of instructions on Thursday and got a new set Friday by overnight UPS. They are the same instructions with the same disclaimer.

Bud said this week that the fix will be finalized soon but I don't know what that will mean.

After looking at the scoop at the body shop, we are going to add another mounting bolt in the center on each side, this is not external but internal matching the existing bolts that are there in side structures under the hood scoop. It appears that this will draw the center of the sides down sufficiently to eliminate the gap. Will know more Monday.

After looking at the scoop at the body shop, we are going to add another mounting bolt in the center on each side, this is not external but internal matching the existing bolts that are there in side structures under the hood scoop. It appears that this will draw the center of the sides down sufficiently to eliminate the gap. Will know more Monday.

Wado,

I was thinking about doing the same thing. Where did you buy your torx screws?

They are not torx screws. They are button head socket screws and you can get some from;

http://www.fastener-express.com/index.asp?...TS&Category=221

Thanks! Would you happen to know the size of the screw and whether there is enough clearance in the hodd area for an attaching self locking nut?

The folks who have received replacement scoops, was there any difference in the plastic used? I'm in Florida and my scoop has melted enough that I now see a 4" ring in the center! I won't need rivits.....the scoop will eventually fuse to the hood!! I like the metal approach. IMO

The folks who have received replacement scoops, was there any difference in the plastic used? I'm in Florida and my scoop has melted enough that I now see a 4" ring in the center! I won't need rivits.....the scoop will eventually fuse to the hood!! I like the metal approach. IMO

Archived