TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Scoop Fix

mffarrell

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if there any other scoop fixes, but the rivets seem pretty good to me. I got the rivets and directions from SAI the other day in the mail and will probably attempt the fix myself. I know I trust ME to do it right and the dealer......well you know....

:lol:

You are a lot braver than me. :o Please post pictures when you are finished. Does your old scoop have any ripples or bubbles in the sides?

Good luck!

I'm confused...Cruicible says that Bud says they are finalizing the fix, yet RIHarley says that he got the rivets and directions from Bud the other day???

I don't know if there any other scoop fixes, but the rivets seem pretty good to me. I got the rivets and directions from SAI the other day in the mail and will probably attempt the fix myself. I know I trust ME to do it right and the dealer......well you know....

:lol:

Do these instructions (with rivets) say the same as mine did (which I got three weeks ago) that this fix was not an "authorized" fix and the owner does it at his own "risk".

When I saw this, I contacted Amy and she said a fix was still in the works and they were working on "something" else.

What's going on?

I think they are trying to accomadate those of us who want it fixed now. They are working on a more permanent fix, or better fix is my understanding. I personally am waiting untill all options are on the table to see what I am going to do.

I think they are trying to accomadate those of us who want it fixed now. They are working on a more permanent fix, or better fix is my understanding. I personally am waiting untill all options are on the table to see what I am going to do.

I agree that there is a better fix than rivets (all screws for one) but a little feedback once every couple of weeks would be helpful.

I've thought about rivnuts which are threaded inserts that install like rivets from the topside of the hood and then using screws (#6-32button head socket screws) to hold the scoop flanges down. The only thing about rivnuts and rivets is they don't allow for the lateral expansion and contraction difference between the scoop and the hood (hole spacing changes). To handle this problem I would just go with a through hole that is sligthly larger than the size of the screw. In other words, a "little slop" in the holes is a good thing.

Either way, screws is the way to go.

BTW, I bought some screws from this place to see if they would match:

http://www.fastener-express.com/index.asp?...TS&Category=221

The #6-32 size is a very, very close match to the ones already in the scoop (in fact, these new ones look a little better). The ones in the scoop are #6-32 x1/4" long so if you only replace some of these screws with longer "hold-down" screws, you can replace the rest with 1/4" screws from the same vendor to get a perfect match.

I'm just planning my options for now.

I'm still new to this hood scoop issue but I'm starting to see the problem develop. I was hoping someone can help me understand how the thing is installed before I make any snap judgements. I notice that there is the appearance of 20 or so of these "fasteners" around the scoop. But, now that I'm seeing the infamous gap I'm also noticing that there's no sign of a shank/shaft associated with the fastener in the gap. It's pretty obvious that the head of the "fastener" thingy is either false (for looks) or that fastener is sheared at that location. I'm afraid to lift up on the scoop to see for fear of making things worse. Are some of these supposed to be real and some of them fake?

I'm confused...Cruicible says that Bud says they are finalizing the fix, yet RIHarley says that he got the rivets and directions from Bud the other day???

Yes, The directions do say (quote) "This is not a Shelby authorized procedure and if any of the suggestions are followed, they should be done at the customers own risk" (end quote) :angry:

I did not see that when perusing the directions. I will stay in a holding pattern and wait to see what SAI OFFICIAL response is.

When you see my car at the Tasca show, try not to laugh too at the gaps beneath my hood scoop. crap. oh well , I love the car anyway.

-Tim-

I'm still new to this hood scoop issue but I'm starting to see the problem develop. I was hoping someone can help me understand how the thing is installed before I make any snap judgements. I notice that there is the appearance of 20 or so of these "fasteners" around the scoop. But, now that I'm seeing the infamous gap I'm also noticing that there's no sign of a shank/shaft associated with the fastener in the gap. It's pretty obvious that the head of the "fastener" thingy is either false (for looks) or that fastener is sheared at that location. I'm afraid to lift up on the scoop to see for fear of making things worse. Are some of these supposed to be real and some of them fake?

All of the fasteners are really just 1/4" long button head socket screws threaded into the plastic and they don't go into the hood. The only two of these screws, that "might" be longer and actually go through the hood and help hold the scoop to the hood, are the two in the front (one on each side). Some of us who had a scoop replaced also had these screws installed as an official SAI "interim" fix. Some may also have been install on cars before they were shipped. The scoop problem and its fixes have gone through several phases up to now with the lastest production cars now having all these "fake" screws replaced with actual rivets.

I just wanted to mention again that my car has the new completely riveted scoop and it is wonderful.

When I was in Las Vegas last month, I got to take my car for 2 days. When I first saw the scoop, it looked great. It was flat and there was only a slight warping. As I drove the car throughout the day, I noticed how bad the scoop lifted and it warped pretty bad. Since I had seen the new riveted scoops being done in the factory, I wasn't too concerned as I knew I would be happy.

Yesterday and today, I drove my car around with the new riveted scoop. It still hasn't warped or lifted and the engine definitely got really hot.

So, I strongly feel that you will all be happy when you get the fix.

All of the fasteners are really just 1/4" long button head socket screws threaded into the plastic and they don't go into the hood. The only two of these screws, that "might" be longer and actually go through the hood and help hold the scoop to the hood, are the two in the front (one on each side). Some of us who had a scoop replaced also had these screws installed as an official SAI "interim" fix. Some may also have been install on cars before they were shipped. The scoop problem and its fixes have gone through several phases up to now with the lastest production cars now having all these "fake" screws replaced with actual rivets.

Yeah, but I still wait. Why risk an "unauthorized" fix if SAI won't stand behind it? I could end up with a screwed up hood scoop AND no one to blame to make it right. No Thanks.

Yeah, but I still wait. Why risk an "unauthorized" fix if SAI won't stand behind it? I could end up with a screwed up hood scoop AND no one to blame to make it right. No Thanks.

I completely agree RI. AND...the completely rivited scoop hasn't been tested long enough IMO. Those rivets through that material...well...I am just not sure how that is going to hold up. I am sure they look great initially, but all our scoops basically did. My third scoop looked great initially...but after time and driving...it has lifted and warped. I can't imagine how that would affect all rivets. Screws would be different. Time will tell. I am going to wait it out for a bit.

I completely agree RI. AND...the completely rivited scoop hasn't been tested long enough IMO. Those rivets through that material...well...I am just not sure how that is going to hold up. I am sure they look great initially, but all our scoops basically did. My third scoop looked great initially...but after time and driving...it has lifted and warped. I can't imagine how that would affect all rivets. Screws would be different. Time will tell. I am going to wait it out for a bit.

+1

But what's a reasonable wait for SAI to authorize a fix? 2 months, 6 months? Next year? I don't know if I want to wait until next year.

Ours came off the show room with a raised scoop and I've really tried to be patient about the fix but have to admit it's getting frustrating. It's the only thing about the car that I have issues with. I keep telling myself that Shelby wants to find the fix as bad as we want it but they want to make sure it will actually fix it longterm. I'm all for that.

Ours came off the show room with a raised scoop and I've really tried to be patient about the fix but have to admit it's getting frustrating. It's the only thing about the car that I have issues with. I keep telling myself that Shelby wants to find the fix as bad as we want it but they want to make sure it will actually fix it longterm. I'm all for that.

+1

It is currently the only issue I also have with this car.

I hear you all and somewhat agree as I touched on that subject of longevity as well in my post. However, why sit around and wait to see if the the fix will last while your cars have the warped and lifted scoops. Either way, whether my scoop fails years from now or yours still lifts and warps, both will still need repairs. At least if you get the fix now, you can enjoy a good looking scoop meanwhile.

Just my opinion.

I hear you all and somewhat agree as I touched on that subject of longevity as well in my post. However, why sit around and wait to see if the the fix will last while your cars have the warped and lifted scoops. Either way, whether my scoop fails years from now or yours still lifts and warps, both will still need repairs. At least if you get the fix now, you can enjoy a good looking scoop meanwhile.

Just my opinion.

Good point...BUT who would you trust to drill a dozen holes in your hood, and have the scoop riveted without ruining the scoop or hood? A Ford dealer? I would feel differently if SAI was doing the work, but a Ford dealer? Forget about it.

Stump tried it. SAI has probably done several hundred of the rivet type scoops, thus they are way up on the learning curve. Nevertheless, to do a single scoop without ever having the experience as SAI, you are asking for big trouble. Besides, SAI's take is caveat emperor, you screw it up, and SAI is not responsible.

IMHO

Good point...BUT who would you trust to drill a dozen holes in your hood, and have the scoop riveted without ruining the scoop or hood? A Ford dealer? I would feel differently if SAI was doing the work, but a Ford dealer? Forget about it.

Stump tried it. SAI has probably done several hundred of the rivet type scoops, thus they are way up on the learning curve. Nevertheless, to do a single scoop without ever having the experience as SAI, you are asking for big trouble. Besides, SAI's take is caveat emperor, you screw it up, and SAI is not responsible.

IMHO

I agree. I think my scoop was about the 20th one done (plus or minus 10). I saw them do some of the first ones and they made it look easy. I guess it's a matter of finding a good dealer.

Tim, you'll have a good one tomorrow. LOL

IMHO

Can SAI tell us what IS going on? Are they finalizing the rivet fix or is something else being tested? Just some news guys and the knowledge it's being brought to a finale on is all we ask.

I had a quick conversation with Amy about my scoop and she mentioned that the rivets work the best. I asked if they were installed by a hand tool or with an air rivets gun and she said they are done the old fashioned way with a hand rivets gun....a air rivet gun would go through the hood. However the pictures in the directions show an air rivet gun..... hmmmmm :blink:

Frankly, I'm feeling better about the process now, but using hand rivets for ALL the way around the hood scoop sounds like a big job. Maybe an adjustable stength air rivet gun would do the job. I don't have any experience with such an item and certaintly don't own one. However I still don't trust my dealer to do it. :lol:

A wise man ( Zig Ziglar) says, a confused mind says "no" .

So I will ask around and wait some more. Maybe Tasca will become a specrapt t in this fix and we can all take our cars and get the hood scoops fixed there????

I had a quick conversation with Amy about my scoop and she mentioned that the rivets work the best. I asked if they were installed by a hand tool or with an air rivets gun and she said they are done the old fashioned way with a hand rivets gun....a air rivet gun would go through the hood. However the pictures in the directions show an air rivet gun..... hmmmmm :blink:

Frankly, I'm feeling better about the process now, but using hand rivets for ALL the way around the hood scoop sounds like a big job. Maybe an adjustable stength air rivet gun would do the job. I don't have any experience with such an item and certaintly don't own one. However I still don't trust my dealer to do it. :lol:

A wise man ( Zig Ziglar) says, a confused mind says "no" .

So I will ask around and wait some more. Maybe Tasca will become a specrapt t in this fix and we can all take our cars and get the hood scoops fixed there????

So SAI, is the plan to "wait and see" how the rivets hold up before "authorizing" this fix or is there also some other idea being tested?

We would like some news please.

Archived