TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Minor Issue

GTHERO

Tonight the unthinkable happened and my fathers bicycle fell into the drivers side door. The bike was unharmed but unfortunately there is a small half inch gouge in the door. Should I use touch up paint or take it to a body shop..... PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ouch..............it really depends on how deep and if there is any dimple in the door. Really...........it's what can you live with? How far up the door? Did it break through to the primer? If so............sorry.......body shop :(

Ouch..............it really depends on how deep and if there is any dimple in the door. Really...........it's what can you live with? How far up the door? Did it break through to the primer? If so............sorry.......body shop :(

Hold on ill get a pic....

Here is a pic

dscf0173ai5.jpg

I think i am going to try touch up paint first, then if it looks bad then go to the body shop

:(

Yup.......I'd do the same. Can't hurt to try.

Yeah its really small and narrow, it would be a shame to redo the whole door because of that tiny scratch, as long as i can get the touch up paint on evenly i think it will work, any suggestions for application.... maybe have the painter at the body shop do it??

Yeah its really small and narrow, it would be a shame to redo the whole door because of that tiny scratch, as long as i can get the touch up paint on evenly i think it will work, any suggestions for application.... maybe have the painter at the body shop do it??

www.paintscratch.com - This is an excellent site for spray on, pens and clear coat for touching up. Adam posted this site about a month ago and it has excellent UA Black matching paint in either a 8 oz. spray can with factory clear coat in an 8 oz. spray can or a touch up pen with a clear coat touch up pen.

Wow sorry to hear that, it happened to my car the other day but my chip is a "pin head" chip.

Good luck. :)

You might check with some dealers locally, there are independent air brush guys that fix stuff like that for dealers. I have a local vender that could make that go away without painting the whole door, about $100.00 good luck. :) Mark

Good luck Hero. If you order the paint pen, they have it in the Ford white color too. The pen tip looks like a magic marker so that might work great for the scratch.

Mark's suggestion is great too.

Good luck Hero. If you order the paint pen, they have it in the Ford white color too. The pen tip looks like a magic marker so that might work great for the scratch.

Mark's suggestion is great too.

My biggest fear happened to you GT, I have bikes everywhere in my garage, lucky so far. I will be even more careful, your scratch is not that bad, good luck

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I ordered the paint pen with primer (I can see a tiny bit of gray steel) and clear coat. I will make a few trial applications to a piece of paper, then to an area under the hood (I know there has got to be some small nick I can practice on there). If all goes well I will give it a try on the car, if not, I will also look into your alternative Mark. What worries me though is that it is more of like a chip out of the paint, rather then a scratch. I dont know if that matters for the airbrush guys. I will keep you guys updated and post pictures and reviews of the route I take.

gtplumber, MOVE THOSE BIKES, I DIDNT THINK IT WOULD HAPPEN TO ME BUT HERE WE ARE!!!!!

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I ordered the paint pen with primer (I can see a tiny bit of gray steel) and clear coat. I will make a few trial applications to a piece of paper, then to an area under the hood (I know there has got to be some small nick I can practice on there). If all goes well I will give it a try on the car, if not, I will also look into your alternative Mark. What worries me though is that it is more of like a chip out of the paint, rather then a scratch. I dont know if that matters for the airbrush guys. I will keep you guys updated and post pictures and reviews of the route I take.

gtplumber, MOVE THOSE BIKES, I DIDNT THINK IT WOULD HAPPEN TO ME BUT HERE WE ARE!!!!!

This is one of the biggest reasons why I ordered the trailer. I thought I might attempt to hold off on buying it until next year, but all I could think of was my kids with their bikes and other things near my car. I didn't want the scratch to come first and then order a trailer in a panic and then over pay. I'll feel much better with the car parked in the trailer than in the garage - especially over the winter.

Now I just need to go back and reread some of the recommendations on making sure the thing is moisture-free over the winter.

Good luck Hero. See you Saturday. Hope you get the pen before Tasca Day and the scratch is gone.

Adam, sadly it takes around 5 business days to ship, they custom mix the paint for you (talk about service). I am racking the brain trying to think of something to use to hide it. Cant wait to meet you up at Tasca, your PSDS has to be at an all time high!!!!

Tonight the unthinkable happened and my fathers bicycle fell into the drivers side door. The bike was unharmed but unfortunately there is a small half inch gouge in the door. Should I use touch up paint or take it to a body shop..... PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paintscratch.com is where I got my stuff for the SGT. Haven't needed it yet though. I saw a great technique for fixing deep scratches on one of the car shows using tough-up paint. You layer the paint into the scratch and then after drying, use a razor blade to plane the edges of the scratch that over flow with paint so that the surface is level. I haven't tried this yet but it looked good!

Sounds like you flatten the blade against the door and slowly move it back and forth while puching through the touch-up paint.

They couldn't even do a rush-overnight delivery after making a batch?

This explains why it took a little longer to receive the paint. And, now that I think of it, the delivery confirmation said it would take 8-10 days and it came on the tenth day. You should check for overnight delivery.

Boy, everyone should order some of this stuff for the "you never know" factor. Throw it in your glove box to fill in those chips upon arrival to the car shows. I'm glad I already got some.

See you Saturday Hero.

I think you are in the clear stump.....

Razor blade, sounds risky, how do you do that without scratching the area next to it??

GT, there would be no question if it were me. If it were my Jeep I would go the touch up paint route ( I have many times and no moatter how you do it, you can always see the touch up paint) but on the Shelby, a professional would do the job. But then I am not confident in my paint and body working abilities.

GT, there would be no question if it were me. If it were my Jeep I would go the touch up paint route ( I have many times and no moatter how you do it, you can always see the touch up paint) but on the Shelby, a professional would do the job. But then I am not confident in my paint and body working abilities.

Agreed. Touch-up paint will make the scratch "less" noticeable but anyone really looking WILL see it.

A body shop, in most cases, will tell you that you need to paint the entire door. This is due to paint differences, color, a proper prep that one many cases means painting FAR more than the scratch area, and thus make color differences an even higher probability.

On the plus side we have white or black and that's easier to keep close in a match. Remember you also need to factor in paint fade etc., but then our cars are still pretty new. You may be able to find a shop that will do the area only and feather the plaint into the existing paint.

Long term however there can be issues where the new paint is over the clearcoat. Clearcoat has a nasty habit of flaking at times and with heavy paint on it that chance is increased even more. What that happens your cool feathered paint job starts flaking off and you need to repaint the entire door anyway.

If it were me, I would try the feathering paint to keep from crying every time i looked at the door and make an appointment to have the entire door repainted some time in the future. Maybe when you get a few mroe scratches. Again, this is a car you want to keep for many years so you will be the recipient later of a bad paint job.

I really don't think you'll be happy with the touchup paint no matter how hard you try.

I think you are in the clear stump.....

Razor blade, sounds risky, how do you do that without scratching the area next to it??

i've seen on Eastwood's website a tool that works kind of like a wood plane. holds the razor blade and has an adjustment screw to adjust the depth of cut. never tried one myself, but sounds good in theory. ;)

!Run Razor

Sounds like it's used to take runs and imperfections out of paint, so i don't know how or if it would work in your situation. Good luck with whatever route you decide to go with

Matt,

I am going to try that paint scratch touch up paint on a small scratch under the hood by the hood prop rod hole. If it turns out nice then i will try on the door

Hero, don't bother touching your car for now. Tasca is giving me a black 07 smashed fender to test my paintpen on for signatures. Why don't you wait to see what it looks like. We can scratch up that fender and test it with the pen before you do your door. We can use my silver pen for now intil your white pen comes in.

Hero, don't bother touching your car for now. Tasca is giving me a black 07 smashed fender to test my paintpen on for signatures. Why don't you wait to see what it looks like. We can scratch up that fender and test it with the pen before you do your door. We can use my silver pen for now intil your white pen comes in.

WOW, what an offer, I definitely will have to test that out.

Archived