TEAM SHELBY FORUM

One RARE Mustang!

RogerS

Here is a great article from Supercars.net

In the mid nineties, a special interest club had the same ideas as Ford in 2005. That is, reunite Shelby to the Mustang and create a sports car that rivals the Chevrolet Corvette.

With its striking stripes and deep front valence this has to be one of the best looking Fox body Mustangs. But more importantly, this car represents a little known chapter in the Mustang/Shelby relationship.

Our feature car comes from the SAAC Car Company, an offshoot of the Shelby American Automobile Club. In 1991, Ken Eber, the SAAC national director, worked with David Wagner of Ford to create a modern interpretation of the legendary Shelby 350. The project was approved by Carol Shelby but the cars could not carry his name since Shelby was obligated to Chrysler, producing performance Dodge Chargers, Omnis and even Dakotas!

Like the Shelby 350, every aspect of the SAAC Mustang was worked over. The main ingredient was a new 302, with GT40 style intakes, large bore exhaust headers and a free-flow Borla Exhaust. Chassis improvements included Koni shocks and struts, high compression springs, rear disc brakes, Traction-Lok differential and a roll bar.

Each SAAC was assembled individually and by hand. The team was very flexible and any bolt on parts could be ordered for the right price. Cars ordered with the full set of standard options where sold as SAAC Snakes.

Eventually SAAC stopped producing cars when Ford released their Mustang Cobra and the all new Mustang was slated for release in 1994. Producing a hand built, limited edition car was a challenge, but an impressive 65 cars were completed. Special models included 17 convertibles, one unique 'R' model having 450 bhp.

Featured is one of the few SAAC Convetibles. It has only 124 miles on the odometer and is for sale awaiting its first real owner. Anyone intersted in purchasing this car is encouraged to contact MW Classic Inc at mwclassicinc@frontiernet.net.

Story by Richard Owen for Supercars.net

Here is a reprint of an article taken from a SAAC web site from Charlie Olson who is/was the registrar for SAAC and the MK1 MK1A and MK2's

Charley noticed some information on the CMA website Gallery page number 3 that was not quite accurate and sent us this letter to clear things up. After a couple of back and forth exchange's things were made right and Charley's SAAC MK1 became this month's Mustang of the Month. For more information about SAAC Mustangs, read Charley's letter below and try Hunter Wilson's site Wilson Swilley Motorsports.

To whom it may concern:

Your info. on the SAAC Mustangs is a little incorrect. I am the Registrar for the Shelby American Automobile Club Mk. 1 and 2s which were built from 1991 to 1993. These cars are extremely rare and I wanted to let you know some more accurate information on the cars.

First of all, I wanted to thank you for showing a picture of one the cars on your website. Since the early 90s these cars have basically gone unnoticed.

Secondly, I would like to set the record straight, these cars are some of the rarest true production cars ever built. They were built by SAAC Car Company(not a tuner) with a possible production of 250 units predicted and advertised. The actual production total was 65. This included all prototypes, mk 1s, mk 2s and Snakes. To verify this information, you can check the SAAC Registry. These cars were developed with the help of Ford Motor Co. to introduce the GT40 motor package and get everything through Federal Emissions Standards in one package as opposed to each piece separately. This saved Ford money and allowed SAAC Car Company to introduce a proven dynotested 295 horsepower 302. SVO helped with the rear disc brakes and other little tricks to help build a really Hot Mustang before anybody but tuners built such things. The initial response for these cars was so strong that Ford took note and came out with the Cobra in 1993. Ford, obviously, could build a car cheaper than any small upstart company and they did and prematurely ended the production of the Mk 2s and Snakes. These cars were not cheap at $40,000 compared to a Cobra at $28,000 - but which one was faster? The only Mustang comparable was the Saleen SSC. The Mk 1s were built in 1991 and 1992. The Mk 2s and Snakes were built in 1993 with some being convertibles. All cars were numbered and are documented in the SAAC Registry. I can personally vouch for these cars as I own Mk 1 #40 which is pictured in the Registry. These Mustangs are extremely fast and agile with documentation to prove it. I also, own a 1988 Kenny Brown prepared Mustang GT which can't hold a candle to these cars.

These are true collector cars which are streetable and they rip! Most of these cars are tucked away on jack stands or in a bag because if any Mustang is collectable, these are! Let me know if you need more info. on these rare cars, I'd be happy to help. Once again, thanks for putting one on your site and don't brake till you see God!

Thanks,

Charley Olson

• 2 months later...

Hello. I am not sure if this forum has been totally forgotten or not, but I actually own one of the 1992 Saac Mk1 cars, mine is #10. Out of all of the years I have owned the car, I have only seen one other 1991-1993 Saac car, a Mk2. You guys have it right, these things are really rare. The reason I am stopping by is because I am actually in the process of trying to sell this car. Dont get me wrong at all, this car is great. I'm not exactly sure on how this forums rules go with advertising selling cars, so I wont get too far into detail. If anyone gets to reading this and is possibly interested or knows someone who might be interested in this vehicle, contact me at saacboy010@comcast.net (my sons email). The reason that I am putting this here is because this car is so rare that almost any mustang classified site that I look to sell this on has absolutely no idea on what this car truly is or what its worth, and to be honest, I'm not exactly sure on the value myself. This car is in great condition, and I am putting it out there (sadly) because I need money to fix up my 1967 Gt350. If anyone contacts me, I can add much more detail and pictures. I live in the Chicago area. Any replies are greatly appreciated.

Take a look at this RARE Mustang, haven't seen one of these for sale in a very long time

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992-FORD-M...1QQcmdZViewItem

and take a look at THIS EVEN RARE-ER SHELBY ...some day I will own this.

:blink: post-4599-1147749288_thumb.jpg[img

that 1 is definetly rarer , theres no way there is another one like that "or atleast looks like that" LOL !!! :lol:

Agree..and did you notice that CS (craig smith) signed the hood as well ???

Archived