TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Undercarriage Rust

GTHERO

Socal brought this up in his thread about the rear end mods he did, both verbally and with the pictures he posted. Instead of hijacking his thread, i figured this topic deserves its own thread. So any ideas on how to stop frame rust, and prevent it from happening. Any ideas??

I was thinking a grinder to remove the rust, then a good bunch of coats of heavy duty spray paint, or black car primer.

Socal brought this up in his thread about the rear end mods he did, both verbally and with the pictures he posted. Instead of hijacking his thread, i figured this topic deserves its own thread. So any ideas on how to stop frame rust, and prevent it from happening. Any ideas??

I was thinking a grinder to remove the rust, then a good bunch of coats of heavy duty spray paint, or black car primer.

I recall the GT500 guys talking about it over at SU but I don't remember any outcome. I was going to ask Tasca to do something for me (re New England misery weather).

GTHERO- There is a product out that is called P.O.R. (Paint over rust) that is absolutely incredible. You can do a little wire brushing of the rusted part if you want, but when you use this product it will cover the rust and prevent further deterioration. It is very, VERY expensive at about $54.00 per pint and does come in various colors. It does work! BUT.........it works so good that when you're using it, wear rubber gloves, and cover any part of your body that you don't want to permanently change to the color you're painting, since it doesn't come off. Also, you can't paint over it once you use it. It is sold at paint stores that sell automotive paint. I got a drop of it on my garage floor and couldn't get it off without using a masonry chisel.

GTHERO- There is a product out that is called P.O.R. (Paint over rust) that is absolutely incredible. You can do a little wire brushing of the rusted part if you want, but when you use this product it will cover the rust and prevent further deterioration. It is very, VERY expensive at about $54.00 per pint and does come in various colors. It does work! BUT.........it works so good that when you're using it, wear rubber gloves, and cover any part of your body that you don't want to permanently change to the color you're painting, since it doesn't come off. Also, you can't paint over it once you use it. It is sold at paint stores that sell automotive paint. I got a drop of it on my garage floor and couldn't get it off without using a masonry chisel.

Mickey Mustang is correct. We did a frame off restoration of my 64 Galaxie and I painted the frame with POR 15, which is black. It is expensive but it goes a long way – just make sure you put some ‘Glad Clingwrap’ or something between the lid and the can after use or it will be fused together permanently (not saying how I know that). Also – whatever it gets on is going to be permanently black like your pants or garage floor (not saying how I know this either). Good stuff.

POR-15 - stops rust cold. I know, I have used it several times on outside things. It also comes in clear. If you get any on your skin, it only comes off with time.

I think POR-15 has a website with its pricing and stuff. You can also find it at most Home Depots / Lowes / True Value, etc. It may help to check out the competition as well - they all pretty much work off the same concept and ingredients, but I know some come in rattle can versus a pint can.

Mike (in Portland)

Here is what a GT500 owner did to his. Took him a week and a lot of work. I really like the way it turned out but I don't have the garage space or paitence. Maybe after I finish with all the little issues I'll come back to the rust. Other then unsightly it can't be a mechanical problem if it is on every car.

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...ic=7758&hl=rust

Here is what a GT500 owner did to his. Took him a week and a lot of work. I really like the way it turned out but I don't have the garage space or paitence. Maybe after I finish with all the little issues I'll come back to the rust. Other then unsightly it can't be a mechanical problem if it is on every car.

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...ic=7758&hl=rust

Thanks for the info guys, I will try all of this and see how it goes. I am not worried about it being a mechanical problem right now, but more as a preservation of the car.

Archived