TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Window Tint

IASHELBYGT

I recently got my windows tinted at a local auto trim place. They have a good reputation and guy that contracts out to do the window tints. He has been doing it for years. I had a 35% tint done, with the product name of Llumar. I had the back, quarter and side windows done. After the install they told me that I should give it 3 weeks for it to cure to allow any moisture to evaporate. Two weeks in I have about 20 pin head sized bubbles on outer edges of each side of the back window and a cluster of about 10 pin head size bubbles in one of the quarter windows. They don't seem to be going away. The installer said to give it another week to cure but I wondered if anyone had experience with this? Should I expect perfection or a few bubbles? They said they will redo it but said that imperfections in the glass can also cause some bubbles. What would you do? Thanks,

Dave

http://www.llumar.com/na-eng/Automotive/auto.html

I recently got my windows tinted at a local auto trim place. They have a good reputation and guy that contracts out to do the window tints. He has been doing it for years. I had a 35% tint done, with the product name of Llumar. I had the back, quarter and side windows done. After the install they told me that I should give it 3 weeks for it to cure to allow any moisture to evaporate. Two weeks in I have about 20 pin head sized bubbles on outer edges of each side of the back window and a cluster of about 10 pin head size bubbles in one of the quarter windows. They don't seem to be going away. The installer said to give it another week to cure but I wondered if anyone had experience with this? Should I expect perfection or a few bubbles? They said they will redo it but said that imperfections in the glass can also cause some bubbles. What would you do? Thanks,

Dave

http://www.llumar.com/na-eng/Automotive/auto.html

Get it fixed. We had my wife's 2006 Mazda MPV (minivan) tinted all the way around (15% on the front doors and 35% everywhere else), and there were no problems with bubbles. We also had a "bring it back if you're not satisfied" warranty and were very willing to use it.

Our installer was an authorized/certified 3M dealer, and the only issue was the stupid little black spots around the the edges of the rear windows (I guess that it supposedly looks better when clear "blends" into the black edges) and the tint not being able to recess into the pockets around these spots. We were told to give it a week on this issue to see if it got better, but there was no change at all, and frankly, this is an issue with the factory glass rather than the tint installation.

I also plan to use these guys for my Shelby GT in the very near future.

Good luck.

The little pin heads should go away in a week or two, three at the most depending on where the vehicle is parked. If it is in direct sunlight the majority of the time they should have disappeared in just a couple of days. If it stays inside then it might take several weeks.

Personally, I have never had them last more than a few days but I was always sure to let the vehicles sit out in the sun to speed up the drying/curing process.

If they persist I would say that your installer might have had some bad tint or didn't get the windows clean before installation.

The little pin heads should go away in a week or two, three at the most depending on where the vehicle is parked. If it is in direct sunlight the majority of the time they should have disappeared in just a couple of days. If it stays inside then it might take several weeks.

Personally, I have never had them last more than a few days but I was always sure to let the vehicles sit out in the sun to speed up the drying/curing process.

If they persist I would say that your installer might have had some bad tint or didn't get the windows clean before installation.

Thanks for the advice. It's been parked mainly inside and it's been very humid in our area. I'll try to give it more sun time to dry them up. Dave

I thought the norm was 3 days on tint? I've never had that problem.

The Shelby came out of the shop bubble free so I'm not sure what to suggest. They did heat shrink the film to the rear window so maybe that's the difference.

Just a suggestion but could you use a hair dryer on the bubble spots to speed up the process? I don't know if you can or can't so do it at your own risk if you do.

I had the same brand installed. My installer told me to park it in the sun the first day, which I did. I had some bubbles on the back windows...and he replaced them and they are fine now. He told me to give it 24-48 hours. I waited a week and they did get better, but he went ahead and replaced them and they are fine.

Many things factor in the bubbles..a slight breeze that comes in when they are installing can cause this.

They look great now and no problems what so ever. He also installed the felt covers over the rollers in the front doors to prevent scracthing of the tint.

Take it back and have them replaced.

Good luck !

Sue

I aslo had Llumar tint installed a couple months ago, I have a couple places on the rear window that have some sort of contaminent between the film and the glass and one bubble near one of the defrost lines. As my installer is approx 60 miles away and the only day I can arrange to to bring the car to him is on a Saturday I have an appointment about a month away to replace it. I was told that the process of replacing it may take the better part of a day in order to be carefull of the defroseter. I know leaving the car in the sun helps the tint cure but it doesn't help the hood scoop :lol:

bubbles in window tint :o or rasied hood scoop ? :blink:

Don

Archived