TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Non-SAI (PIAA) driving lights

ShelbyCobra826

For anyone looking to do this you can get a set of "New Takeoff's" for $99. They are the same that came out of your GT grille. SAI and other aftermarket converters have been selling the take off parts from the initial conversions to places like this:

http://www.newtakeoff.com/

No hasstle installation because the spaces are already there as is the harness.

In response to the above: The fog light holes are still there but the space is not. The fog lights with their brackets are to deep (front to back) to fit into the same location. Remember, the stock fog lights extend behond the front of the stock grille. With the Shelby grille, this cannot be done. The stock bracket must be removed and new bracket devised to allow the lights to be placed in the existing location.

Watch ebay; some vendors are selling takeoffs (bracket, light and bulb) for 2/3 of $99.

Well, they are in. Personally, I really like the look, especially with the lower billet grille. I wish that it had come from SAI this way.

FYI, I spent less than $200 on everything and have pics from the installation in case anyone is interested (and a big cyber high-five to anyone who can guess what the original intended application for the lights themselves was). It was, however, a little time consuming...

Let me know what you think!

THEY LOOK GREAT PLEASE GIVE ME ALL THE INFO

Well, they are in. Personally, I really like the look, especially with the lower billet grille. I wish that it had come from SAI this way.

FYI, I spent less than $200 on everything and have pics from the installation in case anyone is interested (and a big cyber high-five to anyone who can guess what the original intended application for the lights themselves was). It was, however, a little time consuming...

Let me know what you think!

I think SAI blew it when they "shop" designed their own duct and light system, I personally have never liked it but it is all you could get. This looks much more factory and cleaner without the "rivet" crap. Don't me wrong I love my car but in this day and age the dollar bill is all that counts, and they did it as cheap as could be. Excellent job! :):):)

I added stock GT forg lights behind my grille. I alway liked the fog lights in the grille look

post-149-1146455940_thumb.jpg

post-149-1146457008_thumb.jpg

I don't like this design, the lights appear way to big, bulky and out of sync for the grill. Sorry.

I saw 07SGT2614's 4" lights mounted in the lower center area (which looked absolutely amazing), and I saw Stump's (I think...?) behind the factory grille, but has anyone else installed anything other than the SAI-PIAA lights?

I have an idea, but I was wondering if anyone else had tried it yet. It involves cutting holes in the knockouts in either corner of the lower bumper cover and installing an original Ford part from another car. Pigtails are available for the lights, so I think that I can keep it looking factory-correct, probably even more so than the SAI lights.

I like the SAI lights, but I'm not interested in the brake ducts and don't like the empty holes. I'm also not a big fan of the visible screws which hold the front cover to the back plate. Honestly, I would have probably done these already anyway, but I don't want to wait another two months...or more...for the SAI kit to become available, and I am holding off my lower billet grille install until the lights are in as I will need the access provided by this opening.

Of course, if I ever wanted to take it back to original, it would simply be a matter of removing the lights and replacing the knockouts (FYI, these cost $60 each to replace...).

Any thoughts or previous experiences?

I used 4" Pilot lights in the lower fascia opening. See pic.

I used 4" Pilot lights in the lower fascia opening. See pic.

See pic in gallery.

I finally got around to uploading my install pics to Webshots (camera batteries die at the most inopportune times...): http://rides.webshots.com/album/560733329ReDYym

For those who have PM'd me, I am trying to respond to each of you, but the PM function has never worked well for me. Feel free to email me at ShelbyCobra826@aol.com if you don't hear back from me soon.

Oh, the lights were OEM on the Mazda MPV minivan (my wife has a 2006...), and I got the set, including pigtails which were the perfect length to run from the factory pigtail to the lights, for $75 + $15 s/h off eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=150150061563

I think that the same lights are used on the Ford Escape and the Mazda Tribute, as well as the Mazda Miata, but I am not 100% certain of this. I considered the lights for the Lincoln LS, but pigtails could not be purchased separately as they come pre-wired into the car's harness. I also considered using 2005 - 2007 Mustang V6 lights, but I the mounting would have been a little more difficult.

When selecting lights, the key was first to keep the lenses under 3 3/4" wide so that the factory covers could be utilized and then to select something that would be the easiest to install.

The Webshots gallery has captions under each picture detailing the steps in creating the spacers, which was ultimately the most time-consuming part. I figure that I've got 8 to 10 hours in this, but much of it was poking around trying to figure out what I wanted to do and trial and error doing it. Knowing what I know now, I could easily cut this time in half.

Still glad that I did it, but I'm even gladder that it's done. :D

I finally got around to uploading my install pics to Webshots (camera batteries die at the most inopportune times...): http://rides.webshots.com/album/560733329ReDYym

For those who have PM'd me, I am trying to respond to each of you, but the PM function has never worked well for me. Feel free to email me at ShelbyCobra826@aol.com if you don't hear back from me soon.

Oh, the lights were OEM on the Mazda MPV minivan (my wife has a 2006...), and I got the set, including pigtails which were the perfect length to run from the factory pigtail to the lights, for $75 + $15 s/h off eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=150150061563

I think that the same lights are used on the Ford Escape and the Mazda Tribute, as well as the Mazda Miata, but I am not 100% certain of this. I considered the lights for the Lincoln LS, but pigtails could not be purchased separately as they come pre-wired into the car's harness. I also considered using 2005 - 2007 Mustang V6 lights, but I the mounting would have been a little more difficult.

When selecting lights, the key was first to keep the lenses under 3 3/4" wide so that the factory covers could be utilized and then to select something that would be the easiest to install.

The Webshots gallery has captions under each picture detailing the steps in creating the spacers, which was ultimately the most time-consuming part. I figure that I've got 8 to 10 hours in this, but much of it was poking around trying to figure out what I wanted to do and trial and error doing it. Knowing what I know now, I could easily cut this time in half.

Still glad that I did it, but I'm even gladder that it's done. :D

why did you need the clear spacers if you adjust the lights with washers do you really need them?

why did you need the clear spacers if you adjust the lights with washers do you really need them?

Just sent you an email on this, but saw your post here and figured I'd copy it here in case anyone else is interested...

As for the spacers, that is a very good question. I had hoped that the lights would have enough up-down adjustment to allow me to use three spacers directly between the inner bumper plate and the lights themselves as I thought that having the entire surface around the light pressing up against the bumper would provide a more stable mount. Plus, I felt that it would allow me to more precisely locate the lights in the center of the holes in the front covers (they do get hot...).

The fact that the light's internal adjustment screw did not compensate for the extreme down angle of the bumper forced me to add the washers later (and delete one of the three spacers). I still think that the continuous spacers made for a more solid mount than would have bolts and washers alone, but given the aggravation, I may have done it differently had I known that my original plan would not work. Kind of trial and error, if you know what I mean.

Hope this helped.

Just sent you an email on this, but saw your post here and figured I'd copy it here in case anyone else is interested...

As for the spacers, that is a very good question. I had hoped that the lights would have enough up-down adjustment to allow me to use three spacers directly between the inner bumper plate and the lights themselves as I thought that having the entire surface around the light pressing up against the bumper would provide a more stable mount. Plus, I felt that it would allow me to more precisely locate the lights in the center of the holes in the front covers (they do get hot...).

The fact that the light's internal adjustment screw did not compensate for the extreme down angle of the bumper forced me to add the washers later (and delete one of the three spacers). I still think that the continuous spacers made for a more solid mount than would have bolts and washers alone, but given the aggravation, I may have done it differently had I known that my original plan would not work. Kind of trial and error, if you know what I mean.

Hope this helped.

Your lower lights look great. Much better than the SAI installed with brake ducts (that are apparently useless if you read this forum).

Really, great job, now can we talk about flying you up for one day so you can put them on my car?

really

The brake ducts are not useless. The brake duct port that comes from SAI is useless unless you have them install the brake ducting. That brake ducting runs from the ports to a hole in the back of a dust shield (I think it's called) and onto the front brake rotors.

The rear brake ducts pick up air from under the cars and directs it at the rear brake rotors.

How effective they actually are. I don't know.

Your lower lights look great. Much better than the SAI installed with brake ducts (that are apparently useless if you read this forum).

Really, great job, now can we talk about flying you up for one day so you can put them on my car?

really

Sure, but I don't come cheap...I'll trade you a set of installed fog lamps for a set of black cs56 wheels and tires. ;)

And thanks for the compliment. While I love the car and the new look, and that should be enough, it is nice to know that not everyone wants to lynch me for not keeping it "factory".

It was useless I originally said, and I was referencing the brake ducts, not the driving lights AND THE POST I read (somewhere) on this forum stated the 'BRAKE DUCTS' was not very effective, I was only repeating that assessment. ("useless" was already corrected on a previous post as well).

Sure, but I don't come cheap...I'll trade you a set of installed fog lamps for a set of black cs56 wheels and tires. ;)

And thanks for the compliment. While I love the car and the new look, and that should be enough, it is nice to know that not everyone wants to lynch me for not keeping it "factory".

Maybe I can meet you down there and buy you a six pack instead? :huh:

On not keeping it stock, I say ...."to own is each"

Congrats on your beauty.

Maybe I can meet you down there and buy you a six pack instead? :huh:

On not keeping it stock, I say ...."to own is each"

Congrats on your beauty.

Aw, heck; come on down. I'm sure that we can figure something out. I'm not sure, however, that you want anyone that's been drinking a six pack coming anywhere near your SGT with a hole saw... :blink:

got it wicked. you are correct...my bad. Steve

theres no bad here (meds are running a little low though! :blink: )

Oh yeah I get to drive my meds later! :D

....its all good my fine feathered (SGT) friend. ;)

Aw, heck; come on down. I'm sure that we can figure something out. I'm not sure, however, that you want anyone that's been drinking a six pack coming anywhere near your SGT with a hole saw... :blink:

...it couldnt be any worse than my Ford service tech, lets go for it!! :lol:

Lets see....Thanksgiving weekend has potential?

Last road trip b4 putting her to sleep for Winter..........

I saw 07SGT2614's 4" lights mounted in the lower center area (which looked absolutely amazing), and I saw Stump's (I think...?) behind the factory grille, but has anyone else installed anything other than the SAI-PIAA lights?

I have an idea, but I was wondering if anyone else had tried it yet. It involves cutting holes in the knockouts in either corner of the lower bumper cover and installing an original Ford part from another car. Pigtails are available for the lights, so I think that I can keep it looking factory-correct, probably even more so than the SAI lights.

I like the SAI lights, but I'm not interested in the brake ducts and don't like the empty holes. I'm also not a big fan of the visible screws which hold the front cover to the back plate. Honestly, I would have probably done these already anyway, but I don't want to wait another two months...or more...for the SAI kit to become available, and I am holding off my lower billet grille install until the lights are in as I will need the access provided by this opening.

Of course, if I ever wanted to take it back to original, it would simply be a matter of removing the lights and replacing the knockouts (FYI, these cost $60 each to replace...).

just finished this today. Used 3.5" hole saw. Used a 4" air induction adapter from Pep boys and a few other bits. It was a lot of thinking and worry, but, the install was pretty easy. Will post pics in a day or so.

Archived