TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Non-SAI (PIAA) driving lights

ShelbyCobra826

I saw 07SGT2614's 4" lights mounted in the lower center area (which looked absolutely amazing), and I saw Stump's (I think...?) behind the factory grille, but has anyone else installed anything other than the SAI-PIAA lights?

I have an idea, but I was wondering if anyone else had tried it yet. It involves cutting holes in the knockouts in either corner of the lower bumper cover and installing an original Ford part from another car. Pigtails are available for the lights, so I think that I can keep it looking factory-correct, probably even more so than the SAI lights.

I like the SAI lights, but I'm not interested in the brake ducts and don't like the empty holes. I'm also not a big fan of the visible screws which hold the front cover to the back plate. Honestly, I would have probably done these already anyway, but I don't want to wait another two months...or more...for the SAI kit to become available, and I am holding off my lower billet grille install until the lights are in as I will need the access provided by this opening.

Of course, if I ever wanted to take it back to original, it would simply be a matter of removing the lights and replacing the knockouts (FYI, these cost $60 each to replace...).

Any thoughts or previous experiences?

Good idea. I am a bit disappointed in the Shelby driving lights my self, they look "shop" made and unprofessional with the silver screws or screws period around the light. The lights should have nothing showing for a clean smooth look to them. I like the idea and am too looking for a substitute for the Shelby lights.

Just came across this picture of the SGT driving lights, from Adam's gallery right before I read this thread. Thought it may be of interest.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Adams.ShelbyGT...891590836044338

EDIT: Wrong post sorry Socal, my fault!!!! I though I was looking a your "beautiful Precious" with the bad installation of the lower driving lights and duct kit but obviously it was not your car!

This link (above) is on Adams Picasa web site and says Socal's car with the picture.

.....how did I get into this?

I dont know but now that you are do you think you could take a look at your lower driving lights and see if they have a brand name on them? I dont think I can wait another 2 months or however long it will really be and id like to keep my Shelby SAI worthy, even if they dont install. You can take your time as long as it is less than 2 months!LOL

Oh and stop causing trouble on here! ;)

I am pretty sure they are PIAA. I'll look when I pick my car up later. If you don't see a response from me by tomorrow morning please remind me.

.....Also, for what is worth now that I am here. I seem to remember a post from somebody a while back. It was right around the time of the Shelbyperformanceparts.com and Scott Drake collaboration anouncement. The post was something to the fact that Scott Drake wasn't happy with the mod shop design and was working on something else. HOWEVER, I don't remember who posted, who their source was and I am not going to take the time to look for the post, sorry.

.....Also, for what is worth now that I am here. I seem to remember a post from somebody a while back. It was right around the time of the Shelbyperformanceparts.com and Scott Drake collaboration anouncement. The post was something to the fact that Scott Drake wasn't happy with the mod shop design and was working on something else. HOWEVER, I don't remember who posted, who their source was and I am not going to take the time to look for the post, sorry.

http://forum.shelbyautos.com/index.php?s=&...indpost&p=14278

I'll clarify my above post since I am even confused. I was addressing the PSDS to AFBlue. He spent the time searching for my refrence to an earlier post about the lights. I had no intention of looking for it. However, he is suffering from 'P're 'S'helby 'D'elivery 'S'yndrome.

Okay, so I ordered the lights today and hope to have them in this weekend. I'm almost embarrassed to admit for which type of application the lights ordered were originally intended, so I'll wait and see how it looks before divulging this info.

If all goes well, I'll post pics: if not...well, I'll wait for the SAI kit to come out be that much wiser.

Let us know what you think of them when you get them. Id be interested to see if you think these are exactly the ones Socal has in his pics or not. He is taking photos of the plastic trim SAI used for the surround of these. Once I see those I will be able to identify material..I hope...and start working on making a set.

Let us know what you think of them when you get them. Id be interested to see if you think these are exactly the ones Socal has in his pics or not. He is taking photos of the plastic trim SAI used for the surround of these. Once I see those I will be able to identify material..I hope...and start working on making a set.

As per my original post, I'm going with OEM lights (used in Ford/Lincoln/Mercury/Mazda factory applications), just ones that were never intended for an SGT.

I think that SoCals are the PIAAs used by SAI and would therefore require a different installation.

Well i got Socal's photos...TY Socal!!!!...and from what I see it appears as the trim piece is a molded fiberglass piece. It appears the lights are in some sort of socket. I havent really looked at the under side set up on mine yet. I was thinking id machine out a flat piece of plastic but after seeing his pics there must be a reason for this ball and socket set up.

John if you see this can you shed some light on this? Is this a custom piece you guys are having molded or is it something we can obtain catalog or on the web??

• 5 weeks later...

Okay, an update:

I have had my lights for a while now and over the Labor Day weekend I custom-made spacers for them to allow me to recess them back far enough so that they won't stick out beyond the lower factory covers/knock-outs . I did cut holes in the backing plates last weekend just to see how it would look, and I think that it will look awesome...but I chickened out before actually cutting matching holes in the covers and just snapped them back in place over the holes.

I also purchased a pop rivet tool and a bunch of stainless rivets to install the lower billet grille, but I won't install this until the lights are in place as I may need the additional access that the lower opening provides.

I plan to start on the installation tonight, and hopefully I will post pics over the next day or so. I'm a little nervous about cutting the covers as I'll only get one shot at doing it right (those stinking plastic things are $60 a piece!).

Wish me luck...

For anyone looking to do this you can get a set of "New Takeoff's" for $99. They are the same that came out of your GT grille. SAI and other aftermarket converters have been selling the take off parts from the initial conversions to places like this:

http://www.newtakeoff.com/

No hasstle installation because the spaces are already there as is the harness.

This option had crossed my mind also but I kinda wrote it off after looking at the way the billet grill is attached to the factory grill. Doesn't the mounting bracket for the billet grill get in the way of the lights or do you have to do some modifications to get the lights mounted? Thanks for any help guys.

Well, they are in. Personally, I really like the look, especially with the lower billet grille. I wish that it had come from SAI this way.

FYI, I spent less than $200 on everything and have pics from the installation in case anyone is interested (and a big cyber high-five to anyone who can guess what the original intended application for the lights themselves was). It was, however, a little time consuming...

Let me know what you think!

EDIT: Images moved to Gallery

Well, they are in. Personally, I really like the look, especially with the lower billet grille. I wish that it had come from SAI this way.

FYI, I spent less than $200 on everything and have pics from the installation in case anyone is interested (and a big cyber high-five to anyone who can guess what the original intended application for the lights themselves was). It was, however, a little time consuming...

Let me know what you think!

They look great. Good job! :)

Oh yeah, are they for a Focus perhaps?

Archived