TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SGT vs GT500 suspension

Ok so in more than one fellow car guy conversation as my friends are checking out my ride, I have heard the comment that the SGT sits "right" and looks totally great and I agree. In fact I think it is the best looking mustang there is (do not like the front end of the others, the spoiler grill combo etc..). So the question always is whats different with the GT500 and why does it appear to not look right on the wheels (at least in several of my friends and my opinion)? It sits kinda high or something. Is it a different suspension set up or is it due to the ground effects. What do you mustang gurus think?

Ok so in more than one fellow car guy conversation as my friends are checking out my ride, I have heard the comment that the SGT sits "right" and looks totally great and I agree. In fact I think it is the best looking mustang there is (do not like the front end of the others, the spoiler grill combo etc..). So the question always is whats different with the GT500 and why does it appear to not look right on the wheels (at least in several of my friends and my opinion)? It sits kinda high or something. Is it a different suspension set up or is it due to the ground effects. What do you mustang gurus think?

The Shelby GT uses Ford Racing suspension components that drop the car 1.5", plus the front chin spoiler is 1.5" deeper than the standard unit, so the appearance is that the front is 3.0" lower. For this reason, you have to be very careful when parking in front of curbs.

The GT500 looks kind of like it is sitting on a 4x4 suspension when beside a Shelby GT. The black rocker panels on the GT500 also draw your attention to this area, so the perception is somewhat exaggerated. For this reason, though the wheels are the same height as the Shelby GTs, and actually 1.0" wider, they appear undersized on the car.

Shelby Automobiles sells an Eibach suspension kit for the GT500 which drops it down where it needs to be. I haven't seen any of these cars with this kit in person, however.

The Shelby GT uses Ford Racing suspension components that drop the car 1.5", plus the front chin spoiler is 1.5" deeper than the standard unit, so the appearance is that the front is 3.0" lower. For this reason, you have to be very careful when parking in front of curbs.

The GT500 looks kind of like it is sitting on a 4x4 suspension when beside a Shelby GT. The black rocker panels on the GT500 also draw your attention to this area, so the perception is somewhat exaggerated. For this reason, though the wheels are the same height as the Shelby GTs, and actually 1.0" wider, they appear undersized on the car.

Shelby Automobiles sells an Eibach suspension kit for the GT500 which drops it down where it needs to be. I haven't seen any of these cars with this kit in person, however.

Thanks that answers that, I had a feeling that they were suspended different. Again thanks now I can speak intelligently about this the next time it comes up. The SGT to me is sssooooo much better looking :D

Archived