TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Supercharger Questions/Availability

Hi-Ok so being curious, as I like blown cars, how do the sc version cars work and how much extra hp do you get? Do you have radical traction problems with the extra hp? I have seen other posts that many feel that a non-shelby sc is a bad idea, why? I also know that a roots type sc will not fit under the tower brace, so thats out. Has anyone out there tried any other sc setup? Is the shelby a vortech sc? And when could a guy realistically expect to drive down to Vegas and get one installed? Seems like they are really busy. I like the idea of a sc under the hood with the sgt sticker on the side. Again not that I feel the car needs it as its great as is...Thanks !

From what I understand the SC makes the car really difficult to drive.

Something about drool all over the steering wheel makes it hard to hold on to. :D

I have intentions of going to Kenne Bell but after the $15,000 quote I had on re-roofing my house, my dreams may be shattered.

The Paxton is a centrifugal.

While waiting for them to chime in, do a search and you will find a lot of info....

http://forum.shelbyautos.com/index.php?showtopic=1492

http://ten.ewzone.com/articleImages/28390.jpg

Hi-Ok so being curious, as I like blown cars, how do the sc version cars work and how much extra hp do you get? Do you have radical traction problems with the extra hp? I have seen other posts that many feel that a non-shelby sc is a bad idea, why? I also know that a roots type sc will not fit under the tower brace, so thats out. Has anyone out there tried any other sc setup? Is the shelby a vortech sc? And when could a guy realistically expect to drive down to Vegas and get one installed? Seems like they are really busy. I like the idea of a sc under the hood with the sgt sticker on the side. Again not that I feel the car needs it as its great as is...Thanks !

mccoy, I guess I'll try to answer a few questions and give my opinion on a few others. First off our Shelby is my wife's car. We were going to buy a GT500, but refused to pay ADM. Found out that another Shelby was coming out so we waited. We ordered the standard Shelby and my wife was happy with that, but of course that would have been too easy. So we added lots of options to it. I'm glad we didn't buy the GT500 for 3 reasons, one the weight, 2 the ride height and 3 the production numbers. The GT500/SS and the 40th will be lowered and have similar ride height as the S GT's. I've seen lowered GT500 and they look very nice. As far as the S/C goes, ours was just activated @300 miles. It does pull harder, but haven't pushed the car as we want to have plenty of brake in time for the motor. My personal opinion is to go with the Paxton/Shelby S/C. For this simple reason Shelby and Paxton go way back. You can order S/C from Shelby and have it installed by others, but we wanted the car to be complete before it left Shelby. For some people the Shelby installed S/C may be a long wait or to far to travel. I've heard rumored that this winter or first of next year, but you have to talk to John Walker. If Paxton is installed by others you can always add it to the registry at a later date. As far as HP rating the tunes are to 462hp @the crank and 485 that come on the Diablo programmer. We haven't dyno'd the car, but this is what we've been told. Some have taken it up over 500hp, but you have to be careful and stay within that safe realm of motor. If you'd like to see the car we'll be @Bowen-Scraff Ford, August 18th for a Mustang all-ford show. You'll see it next to the GT500's and see how much lower it sits. And of course it looks much better B) (not that I'm biased).

Hope this helps and hope to meet you soon,

Dave

If you want to keep all Shelby badged parts go with the Shelby Paxton. If you want to have SAI install it you'll have a looooong wait.

With any blower installed you will have more power to the rear wheels than the stock SGT tires can handle. If you want to hook up you'll need to buy the baby new shoes...

In my opinion the Kenne Bell setup is hands down the best design/quality you can get. So if it wasn't for the Shelby name plate on the Paxton I would have gone with the KB.

Stump --- Get some blue tarps and skip the new roof... need to see the Kenne Bell on an SGT!!!

The KB SC is one bad ass compressor-if go with the KB unit though make sure you can get cold air to the intake or else Kenny won't give you a warranty.

Read the fine print so you aren't disappointed.

These cars were built for the road and geared as such-ie...355 gears. So if you want a drag car go for the compressor or roots type blower, if you want the baddest ass car on the open road go for the Paxton and go a little lower on the ring gear. Remember the 65' 66' cars were not drag cars they were road cars with 3.89 rear gears and traction Lok/limited slip. I have only 800 miles on my car and already I know I am going for lower rear gears to get that punch in the shorts out of those corners.

cool, this is a good thread to be posted today so I don't have to start a new thread or look for the old one.

I have a 1500 miles (more coming soon now that the car is almost complete) on a Shelby installed supercharger. The car is awesome if not scaaaaaary fast. I don't try burning the tires off of it but I also went bigger when I added wheels. I think it I would purposely have to try and smoke the tires to break them free. Turning off the TCS would help. :P

Do you need to have the Shelby branded Paxton. That is up to you. Do you want to spend the money for the Shelby/Paxton heritage and having your car added to the registry as a supercharged car? If so enjoy your car for a while and get a place in line. Except for the immediate gratification you will be happier. You will get to drive your car while waiting unlike those of us who waited for cars to be completed.

Numbers: I just got mine back from an authorized Paxton installer today. Tuned on CA summer blend 91 octane with a temperature of 93 degrees and 9 pounds of boost my car produces 441 HP and 399 pounds of torque. Using 12% adjustment thats: 501 HP & 453 pounds of torque.

dyno1.jpg

Sidenote for Cuda, Rossgt and others who were part of the earlier discussion. I had the car looked over and retuned by a very well qualified shop. There were no other problems with the install. How do the results look?

cool, this is a good thread to be posted today so I don't have to start a new thread or look for the old one.

I have a 1500 miles (more coming soon now that the car is almost complete) on a Shelby installed supercharger. The car is awesome if not scaaaaaary fast. I don't try burning the tires off of it but I also went bigger when I added wheels. I think it I would purposely have to try and smoke the tires to break them free. Turning off the TCS would help. :P

Do you need to have the Shelby branded Paxton. That is up to you. Do you want to spend the money for the Shelby/Paxton heritage and having your car added to the registry as a supercharged car? If so enjoy your car for a while and get a place in line. Except for the immediate gratification you will be happier. You will get to drive your car while waiting unlike those of us who waited for cars to be completed.

Numbers: I just got mine back from an authorized Paxton installer today. Tuned on CA summer blend 91 octane with a temperature of 93 degrees and 9 pounds of boost my car produces 441 HP and 399 pounds of torque. Using 12% adjustment thats: 501 HP & 453 pounds of torque.

dyno1.jpg

Sidenote for Cuda, Rossgt and others who were part of the earlier discussion. I had the car looked over and retuned by a very well qualified shop. There were no other problems with the install. How do the results look?

Now thats cool!! Thanks for the info, I love this site. Apparently from your post you had problems with the shelby install and needed a retune or ? Thanks again, that rocks. :D

mccoy, I guess I'll try to answer a few questions and give my opinion on a few others. First off our Shelby is my wife's car. We were going to buy a GT500, but refused to pay ADM. Found out that another Shelby was coming out so we waited. We ordered the standard Shelby and my wife was happy with that, but of course that would have been too easy. So we added lots of options to it. I'm glad we didn't buy the GT500 for 3 reasons, one the weight, 2 the ride height and 3 the production numbers. The GT500/SS and the 40th will be lowered and have similar ride height as the S GT's. I've seen lowered GT500 and they look very nice. As far as the S/C goes, ours was just activated @300 miles. It does pull harder, but haven't pushed the car as we want to have plenty of brake in time for the motor. My personal opinion is to go with the Paxton/Shelby S/C. For this simple reason Shelby and Paxton go way back. You can order S/C from Shelby and have it installed by others, but we wanted the car to be complete before it left Shelby. For some people the Shelby installed S/C may be a long wait or to far to travel. I've heard rumored that this winter or first of next year, but you have to talk to John Walker. If Paxton is installed by others you can always add it to the registry at a later date. As far as HP rating the tunes are to 462hp @the crank and 485 that come on the Diablo programmer. We haven't dyno'd the car, but this is what we've been told. Some have taken it up over 500hp, but you have to be careful and stay within that safe realm of motor. If you'd like to see the car we'll be @Bowen-Scraff Ford, August 18th for a Mustang all-ford show. You'll see it next to the GT500's and see how much lower it sits. And of course it looks much better B) (not that I'm biased).

Hope this helps and hope to meet you soon,

Dave

Dave if I am not out of town I will drive #471 up to see you! Thanks for your thoughtful reply to my post! It would be nice to see your car and say hi!

Thanks everyone :D :blink: I think I will follow the paxton offical shelby route and reserve a place in line while I do what I like to the most...drive! I am not interested in making a drag car, I am thinking that an s/c would be cool. Not that I am not really really really enjoying the car the way it is. This site and you guys rule thanks!

Mine was an early supercharger car. A fuse either was not installed or fell out. ;) Also, something went wrong on the tuning side of the install at SAI. It was easily corrected and probably an isolated incident since I haven't heard of anybody else having similar problems. I took the advice of some members and had my car looked at by an experienced installer. They found no problems.

Stump --- Get some blue tarps and skip the new roof... need to see the Kenne Bell on an SGT!!!

Cuda, he is in the south! The 15k price was for tarps!!! Now all he needs is some of Adam's tape and it'll be sealed for generations to come!LOL We actually call duct tape "buxton chrome" up here. We have a small town near us called Buxton and most of the cars you see out there are POS. Hence the name :)

Cuda, he is in the south! The 15k price was for tarps!!! Now all he needs is some of Adam's tape and it'll be sealed for generations to come!LOL We actually call duct tape "buxton chrome" up here. We have a small town near us called Buxton and most of the cars you see out there are POS. Hence the name :)

HA HA. :)

I was thinking of painting the SGT Primer Gray and then slowly going with a Dukes of Hazard theme. What do you think? :lol:

Insurance company filed a claim and have not denied it yet so I may have a glimmer of hope. It they do pay for it, I think I'm going to break down and do it. It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission!...

Those are some pretty SC nice numbers posted up top!

The KB SC is one bad ass compressor-if go with the KB unit though make sure you can get cold air to the intake or else Kenny won't give you a warranty.

These cars were built for the road and geared as such-ie...355 gears. So if you want a drag car go for the compressor or roots type blower, if you want the baddest ass car on the open road go for the Paxton and go a little lower on the ring gear. Remember the 65' 66' cars were not drag cars they were road cars with 3.89 rear gears and traction Lok/limited slip. I have only 800 miles on my car and already I know I am going for lower rear gears to get that punch in the shorts out of those corners.

Waterguy: What size tires are you running? This could have some effect on how you gear your SGT.

Thanks, Mickey

thanks!!I agree 100% mine will never be a drag car either, I have 1200 miles plus on mine and I am ok so far with gearing.

Socal... Looks GREAT!!! Congratulations, I figured you would get there eventually with a good tune. Glad to hear the rest of the install was OK too.

Now turn off that <bleep> TCS and light ‘em up!!!

Archived