TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The latest hood scoop fix from SAI appears to work

ShelbyCobra826

MattC- Of course this hood scoop is covered under warranty, it was installed by SAI so it is covered by SAI 100% done deal. FOMOCO would never let anyone, anyone! install anything on their products without it being 100% warrantied. :)

Swede

Hey, I think everyone misunderstood my post. My point was that the scoop and other cosmetic things are not spelled out in the warranty. They obviously are not part of the Ford one as we have to go through the 800 number, yet they are also not specifically mentioned in either the Shelby or the Ford Racing warranty. Oversight? I just found it interesting.

A new tactic to get that SAI job?

Ok..you got me! Shoot! Am I that transparent? :blink:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry,

I understand this is being looked "into" still, and I've BEEN patient, and continue to BE patient.

It seems as though there are definite fixes available, however they are not the most economic fixes.

Now, I'm wondering if I have to go to a dealer to "document" that my scoop is lifted.

I mean, if it's 3 years from now and the car is out of warranty - what then?

It just seems this is a known issue and if the new cars don't have a problem, the fix has been found. In which case, the older ones should get the fix. That said, if the rivet's don't work... then what?

I think at SOME point, there should be an option to switch to the CS6 hood at a significant discount. I love the look of my car, and overall I'm quite happy, but this just seems to be dragging on. It's difficult. I'm suprised it's spec'd next year if the fix isn't found.

If this isn't a warranty, that would be shockingly disapointing.

I like many, am waiting to roll mine in until a final fix is found. Though, I'm going to go in for the exhaust sometime soon.

Sorry for the tone of this, but at what point is it ridiculous?

I think at SOME point, there should be an option to switch to the CS6 hood at a significant discount. I love the look of my car, and overall I'm quite happy, but this just seems to be dragging on. It's difficult. I'm suprised it's spec'd next year if the fix isn't found.

I'm no sure what the behind the scene issues might be but this is a fix I would take! Even though the CS6 hood has it's own set of issues at least this would be a way for SAI to break even or even still maker a few $$$ on this issue rather than it being a total drain on the balance sheet as we have today.

Sucking up.... :P

Here is the thing.

I don't mind being patient, nor being polite and not bashing. I've really tried not to. But, we also shouldn't have to "kiss butt" and play nice just to get what I ordered on a 40k car.

For 40k, the car should "Be right" the hood scoop is not right and continues to be not right.

Again, I APPRECIATE that the issue has been acknowledged and is being worked on. It just seems to me there is likely a way to permanately fix these, but my guess is it's not real economic.

But, I shouldn't have to kiss up to have it fixed. I don't want to be a jerk and start screaming either because that does no good.

But ultimately this is a very emotional purchase to all of us, and a sense of pride. For 40k, it should be correct, and done as quickly, and correctly as possible.

98% of the car is outstanding, as has been customer service. But the hood is such a visible part of the car, and that scoop, SUCH a visual cue it's tough to deal with one that is not correct. A few slight issues sure, but these things really don't sit flush, and it's pretty obvious.

Here is the other thing for me. I can completely deal with the thing expanding and contracting a bit in the heat, not perfect but I can deal with it. However, when the car is cool, and not being driven it really at least at that point should sit flat. That is the bigger issue for me.

I think at SOME point, there should be an option to switch to the CS6 hood at a significant discount

Your comment got me thinking about my own aftermarket hood and thought if SAI offered it, in addition to the CS6 hood, it would enable SGT owners to maintain their unique look, have a functional scoop, and not worry about hood scoop fitting properly, or worry about the CS6 water puddling issues. I started another thread about this here.

http://forum.shelbyautos.com/index.php?sho...t=0entry19958

Just a comment here. The CS6 hood is a viable option. It changes the entire look of the car in my opinion. I don't think it is an agressive look but streamlines the side view of the car. The price on the CS6 hood in the SPP catalog is $750. with the hood grille at $65. What would you consider a significant discount?

If you remember back to the 03-04 Cobra they had a double ducted hood where water puddled also. I owned an 03 & 04. I have been a member of the SVT Performance forum for years and I don't remember anyone complaining about that hood issue.

There are some issues with the CS (6/8 GT-H) hood. First it is fiberglass and as such there are fitment problems. The driver side edge of my hood curves about a 1/4" above the driver side fender for about 12 inches. It doesn't do it on the passenger side. I have discussed this with SAI and was told they had a heck of a time with the hoods on the GT-Hs also. I basically infered from correspondence that there was nothing to be done.

Also the hood blanket makes contact with the strut brace. The hood blanket on mine has left scratches on the strut brace. I am going to cover the strut brace with aviation leading edge tape. It is an abrasion resistant tape that has very little friction on its surface. i will post more about that after I do it say Tuesdayish.

Also the underside of the hood isn't finished very well. It looks bad with overspray and and the hood pin holes are unfinished underneath allowing you to see the frayed edges of fiberglass.

The pooling is annoying but not a problem, unless you plan to leave your car out in the rain. When I wash the car, i have the hood popped and just lift it up several times during a wash. I use the Mr. Clean car wash thing and leave the hood up when I spray it down with the final filtered water stage. It's annoying but not a problem.

On Rossgt's price numbers to forget to include paint and striping. I think total it was about $1500.

There are some issues with the CS (6/8 GT-H) hood. First it is fiberglass and as such there are fitment problems. The driver side edge of my hood curves about a 1/4" above the driver side fender for about 12 inches. It doesn't do it on the passenger side. I have discussed this with SAI and was told they had a heck of a time with the hoods on the GT-Hs also. I basically infered from correspondence that there was nothing to be done.

Also the hood blanket makes contact with the strut brace. The hood blanket on mine has left scratches on the strut brace. I am going to cover the strut brace with aviation leading edge tape. It is an abrasion resistant tape that has very little friction on its surface. i will post more about that after I do it say Tuesdayish.

Also the underside of the hood isn't finished very well. It looks bad with overspray and and the hood pin holes are unfinished underneath allowing you to see the frayed edges of fiberglass.

The pooling is annoying but not a problem, unless you plan to leave your car out in the rain. When I wash the car, i have the hood popped and just lift it up several times during a wash. I use the Mr. Clean car wash thing and leave the hood up when I spray it down with the final filtered water stage. It's annoying but not a problem.

On Rossgt's price numbers to forget to include paint and striping. I think total it was about $1500.

I personally like the looks of the SGT scoop over the CS6/8 hood. However, it looks like from SOCALJAFO's description, the fitment problems of the scoop pale in comparison with the CS6/8 hood. A 1/4" misalignment on the hood is a lot more noticable than my 3/32" gap on the rear of my scoop.

I've seen many disclaimers for fiberglass body panels claiming fitment being and issue that must be work on by the installer, which translates to lots of body work.

...well, maybe it's 1/8". I'll tame a ruler out there tonight. Either way it is noticeable when you look at the car from the outside or sitting in the driver seat.

I use various thickness spacers in my line of work,which is tile/stone mason. I might use a few,take pics,to demonstrate the gaps around the hoodscoop. Anyone interested?

We heard all about you claiming a quarter of an inch is an inch Auto ;) Seriously though if theer are those out there that have not brought the scoop issue or any other issue you are waiting for a fix on to your dealers attention I would highly recommend doing so. The longer time goes opens up the door for hassles IMO. I dont even know if you would need to go to the dealer or if you could do it over the phone. I needed an oil change anyway so I drove down. I made out a list before I went and gave it to my tech and he put all of it on the computer and gave me a copy. This may also help SAI by seeing exactly how many people are having issues.

Archived