TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The latest hood scoop fix from SAI appears to work

ShelbyCobra826

I figured you guys would want to see a car from SAI with the new fix for the hood scoop. It appears to work fairly well, at least so far. The temperature here in NC was over 100 today, and while it was just a little wavy toward the front (until they mold these things with a slight curve to fit the actual shape of the hood, it ain't gonna be perfect), it appears to be much better than the old bolt-down method.

I am afraid that I am out of room for adding additional attachments, so check out the photos here: http://forum.shelbyautos.com/index.php?s=&..._album&album=89

Thanks, Stump, for pioneering this for SAI. Did you get their payment for your development work on this fix? :lol:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I figured you guys would want to see a car from SAI with the new fix for the hood scoop. It appears to work fairly well, at least so far. The temperature here in NC was over 100 today, and while it was just a little wavy toward the front (until they mold these things with a slight curve to fit the actual shape of the hood, it ain't gonna be perfect), it appears to be much better than the old bolt-down method.

I am afraid that I am out of room for adding additional attachments, so check out the photos here: http://forum.shelbyautos.com/index.php?s=&..._album&album=89

Thanks, Stump, for pioneering this for SAI. Did you get their payment for your development work on this fix? :lol:

It does look good. I assume this is a new car with the new scoop done at SAI and not a replacement scoop sone by a dealer?

There looks to be a "littlle" waviness on the driver's side. But I think it gives it the "fabricated" look.

Looks pretty good............... :)

It does look good. I assume this is a new car with the new scoop done at SAI and not a replacement scoop sone by a dealer?

There looks to be a "littlle" waviness on the driver's side. But I think it gives it the "fabricated" look.

Yep, straight off the truck from SAI earlier in the week. And yes, there is a little waviness, but like I said, when you bend a flat scoop over a curved hood, it is about a good as we can expect.

Funny, but looking out over that "bulge" while driving is making me less inclined to order a GT-H hood. It's growing on me...

Yep, straight off the truck from SAI earlier in the week. And yes, there is a little waviness, but like I said, when you bend a flat scoop over a curved hood, it is about a good as we can expect.

Funny, but looking out over that "bulge" while driving is making me less inclined to order a GT-H hood. It's growing on me...

I have loved that scoop since day one! It just makes the whole package for me. Yes , it's not perfect but, If the fix goes according to plan, I'll be in line for it. :)

Do the rivets show on the underside of the hood as well??

Looks good...BUT, do you really think an average Ford dealer is capable of doing such a repair? I'll have nightmares tonight. :unsure:

Looks good...BUT, do you really think an average Ford dealer is capable of doing such a repair? I'll have nightmares tonight. :unsure:

I'm a little worried about that too................

Maybe i'll wait to when i go back for the S/C and just have the gang at SAI do it. :)

I'm also scared to death to have a dealer do this repair. (Dealer I bought mine from I can't go to as they are bitter they screwed up the paperwork and I got a steal).

Seems like a few things could go wrong. (crooked, off center, bolt holes).

I like that it looks much improved, but I'm going to wait a few months to see how this fix holds up on the ones coming from the factory first.

I saw pics of my riveted scoop too. It does have the fabricated look too, but no worries here. I'm happy it has the fix.

Do the rivets show on the underside of the hood as well??

My guess is that the rivets are hidden by the hood insulation. The scoop in the photos looks good.

Yeah, they sent me a supercharger and promised installation in 2010. :D

It looks the exact same as mine did except not as tight. They must have used a different pull rivet or technique or something.

I would think they would have an air operated or electric rivot gun. They are expensive but most bigger sheet metal shops have them and they are consistent. The fix looks good in these pics. My dealer doersnt have a body shop in house so they send it out to a guy that they say is awesome. We will see I guess.

The instructions are what SAI is working on now. I expect they are also worried about that and want to have a set of instructions, that if followed to the "T", will result in a good installation. If not, then the dealer has to repair it on his "nickle".

Agreed; I would select a dealership to perform this fix with caution.

My guess is that the rivets are hidden by the hood insulation. The scoop in the photos looks good.

Exactly. As mine was one of the first to have this fix applied, I'm wondering if it also has the big bolts (or empty holes)? I'm guessing that these would help to distribute the force away from the thin plastic "lip" somewhat.

I'm not so curious as to go off and remove the insulation, but curious nonetheless.

Everything is hidden by the hood blanket (the rivets that is). Mine looked fine and it was converted on 8/2/07. I originally had the CS6 hood as a planned mod and decided to just stay with the factory set up with the scoop. We all knew that SAI was working on a fix and I made up my mind as soon as I could see it in person. I'm pretty picky and I'm ok with it.

Agreed; I would select a dealership to perform this fix with caution.

Exactly. As mine was one of the first to have this fix applied, I'm wondering if it also has the big bolts (or empty holes)? I'm guessing that these would help to distribute the force away from the thin plastic "lip" somewhat.

I'm not so curious as to go off and remove the insulation, but curious nonetheless.

When you open up the hood, you can see 4 of the big bolts in the center. The other four are under the liner. It's easy to remove the liner. Take a flat screw driver and a pair of needle nose pliers. Pry up the edge of the plastic push-in clips so that you can get the pliers to grip. Then you can twist and pull the clip out. You can't hurt them and they push right back in.

Did your dealership say it was a go to get started? I'm begin told by SAI nothing is a go yet. :(

Actually he didn't say. I'm starting th4e process of the pictures and approval. Hopefully by then it will be a go. Heck, it took a month to get the stripes and he needs to compare to be sure they are correct! :o

When you open up the hood, you can see 4 of the big bolts in the center. The other four are under the liner. It's easy to remove the liner. Take a flat screw driver and a pair of needle nose pliers. Pry up the edge of the plastic push-in clips so that you can get the pliers to grip. Then you can twist and pull the clip out. You can't hurt them and they push right back in.

Thanks for the info-when I looked under the hood of mine, I could see 4 bolts, but no rivets, the scoop however, looked really good.

Don't mind me. I'm just putting my attempt and SAI's attempt side by side for comparison purposes.

Ouch. I trust that your holes were drilled in the correct locations. If this is the case, I would assume that you could drill out the rivets and have SAIs installed with good results.

Don't feel bad; you were pioneering an unknown solution on your own accord, and it was obviously the best option. If you've never riveted a flat plastic part to a curved aluminum part before, I'd say it was a valiant effort (plus, you're up against professionals who do this for a living, after all).

And I'm sure that you can still break stumps in circles around those weenie car guys any day of the week... :lol:

The quality of the scoop itself looks much improved. I wonder if the scoop manufacturer changed and improved his design? Does anyone know who manufacturers the scoops?

Ouch. I trust that your holes were drilled in the correct locations. If this is the case, I would assume that you could drill out the rivets and have SAIs installed with good results.

Don't feel bad; you were pioneering an unknown solution on your own accord, and it was obviously the best option. If you've never riveted a flat plastic part to a curved aluminum part before, I'd say it was a valiant effort (plus, you're up against professionals who do this for a living, after all).

And I'm sure that you can still break stumps in circles around those weenie car guys any day of the week... :lol:

Thanks for the kind words. I just puled mine too tight is all I can tell - oh, and missing the hood on the center rivet. :D

Actually he didn't say. I'm starting th4e process of the pictures and approval. Hopefully by then it will be a go. Heck, it took a month to get the stripes and he needs to compare to be sure they are correct! :o

Please let us know if the process is ready to go forward so we know to go to our dealers. I haven't been able to get a response from SAI lately.

So now that you've had the car awhile and the new fix for the scoop, how is the fix holding up? I know it hasn't been cool enough yet, (I'm in Virginia and it's 99 degrees right now) but how does it look when it cooler?

My scoop looks great when it's really hot and starts to lift in the back when it gets just a little cooler. I'm still a little wary of the rivet fix because of what may happen under really cold conditions. Something we may not find out for another 5-6 months.

Archived