TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Scoop fix - part 3

Crucible

When Amy announced that the "fix" was in for the hood scoop, I waited the required amount of time and went to my dealer who contacted SAI and he spoke with Doug. Since I'm working on my third scoop, my dealer requested and received from SAI (4) of the rivets used to attached the front of the scoop. His intention was to use these on the sides of the scoop. Unfortunately, 4 rivets isn't going to do the job. Besides the scoop lifting on both sides, it's also lifting at the rear. You can actually see daylight at the back of the scoop while driving.

Anyway, Doug said that if my dealer "screwed the pooch" and damaged the hood, SAI is off the hook. Needless to say, my dealer isn't too enthused about fixing SAI's problem.

My question is this. Has anyone had the SAI "fix" done? And exactly what is the fix? In all the postings about this problem, I haven't seen what the "fix" is.

When Amy announced that the "fix" was in for the hood scoop, I waited the required amount of time and went to my dealer who contacted SAI and he spoke with Doug. Since I'm working on my third scoop, my dealer requested and received from SAI (4) of the rivets used to attached the front of the scoop. His intention was to use these on the sides of the scoop. Unfortunately, 4 rivets isn't going to do the job. Besides the scoop lifting on both sides, it's also lifting at the rear. You can actually see daylight at the back of the scoop while driving.

Anyway, Doug said that if my dealer "screwed the pooch" and damaged the hood, SAI is off the hook. Needless to say, my dealer isn't too enthused about fixing SAI's problem.

My question is this. Has anyone had the SAI "fix" done? And exactly what is the fix? In all the postings about this problem, I haven't seen what the "fix" is.

Actually, I only need 4 screws too, but more towards the rear and not the sides. Maybe the sides will still need them after the rear is fixed, but the rear is the only place where I see daylight through the gap as of now.

On the other hand. This may be more involved that it appears. Maybe holding the sides down and letting the rear float helps keep the bulge from appearing and rear from moving over temp changes. But it appears from the above post, just two screws on each side won't fix the rear.

Details, Details! We need details!

If this is SAI's fix....how can they say they are off the hook if it doesnt work???

If the fix is to drill more holes.....then SAI needs to stand behind this if something doesn't go right.

I really would like some more info on this.

My scoop as well lifts in the back..and I can see daylight sitting in the driver's seat..and I am on scoop #3. My scoop is warped ...paint has come off in a few small places...and I need another scoop as well.

I think this has gone on long enough and we really do need some answers on this.

Sue

As I stated earlier in this thread John told me that all cars currently at SAI are having their hood scoops completely riveted down, I was lead to believe that all of the current "fake" rivets are being replaced not just four. John sent a picture to my phone of the new mounting meathod but it's hard to see, I will try to download it to my computer and post if it turns out OK.

Sorry, I posted this previosly in the other hood scoop post "is this the week..."

Don

As I stated earlier in this thread John told me that all cars currently at SAI are having their hood scoops completely riveted down, I was lead to believe that all of the current "fake" rivets are being replaced not just four. John sent a picture to my phone of the new mounting meathod but it's hard to see, I will try to download it to my computer and post if it turns out OK.

Sorry, I posted this previosly in the other hood scoop post "is this the week..."

Don

Yeah, I just got the info from SAI and this IS the fix.

*groan* I hope it comes out better than my original try.

Hey, I can look on the bright side. I already have the holes drilled in my hood! :lol:

I wonder if they are going to then delete some or all of the larger screws? If so this may be the solution to the bump or buckle problem on the driver's side that shows up over time and temperature.

I wonder if they are going to then delete some or all of the larger screws? If so this may be the solution to the bump or buckle problem on the driver's side that shows up over time and temperature.

I believe you're correct Blueshawk! I would think you would want to use the large screws/bolts,but only hand tighten em,so it can help the repair person line things up. Or,possibly a template will be provided? After secured on the outside,no need for the massive bolts/screws.

If this is SAI's fix....how can they say they are off the hook if it doesnt work???

If the fix is to drill more holes.....then SAI needs to stand behind this if something doesn't go right.

I really would like some more info on this.

My scoop as well lifts in the back..and I can see daylight sitting in the driver's seat..and I am on scoop #3. My scoop is warped ...paint has come off in a few small places...and I need another scoop as well.

I think this has gone on long enough and we really do need some answers on this.

Sue

Sue,are you on your period? I've never known you to be the impatient type lol.

Sue,can you live with the way your car is,for say another 2-3 months? You know SAI will make it right,and,it's not like you can't drive it and put scratch down etc.

Susie,take up needlepoint or sumthin!

I believe you're correct Blueshawk! I would think you would want to use the large screws/bolts,but only hand tighten em,so it can help the repair person line things up. Or,possibly a template will be provided? After secured on the outside,no need for the massive bolts/screws.

Sue,are you on your period? I've never known you to be the impatient type lol.

Sue,can you live with the way your car is,for say another 2-3 months? You know SAI will make it right,and,it's not like you can't drive it and put scratch down etc.

Susie,take up needlepoint or sumthin!

Autoplay,

If Sue takes up needlepoint, I'd sleep with one eye open. Oh I'm sorry, you won't be sleeping in the house. You'll be lucky if she lets you sleep in the same county. Get some duct tape on this man and take the keyboard away. Put a GPS on this man, so you can keep track of him. LMAO

Dave

Don

Don-was that to be checked at final Q/A(cars in line for mod shop) and done if needed or just the ones in line to be completed?

Don-was that to be checked at final Q/A(cars in line for mod shop) and done if needed or just the ones in line to be completed?

I was lead to believe that all cars now leaving SAI would have this done. Not sure when they actually started and if they went back and changed all completed vehicles prior to shipment.

Autoplay,

If Sue takes up needlepoint, I'd sleep with one eye open. Oh I'm sorry, you won't be sleeping in the house. You'll be lucky if she lets you sleep in the same county. Get some duct tape on this man and take the keyboard away. Put a GPS on this man, so you can keep track of him. LMAO

Dave

Dave..he definately does these things when I am not around. He won't even be allowed to sleep in the garage..........the car gets that ! :D :P

Archived