TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SUPERCHARGER

SHELBY1389

Popa

Good question. I have about 200 miles on mine, so I have 100 more to go. I've asked the question myself, but have yet to get a definitive answer. I realize the belt is in constant motion, but perhaps a bypass of some sort allows the boost to escape until the computer program of 300 miles.

Anyone know?

Perhaps it's limited to 5 until 300 miles and then 8 afterwards. Perhaps for a more gentle break in?

The supercharger is always 'on' and the boost pressure is a function of engine RPM. The faster the belt/pulley spins, the more boost you get.

With the Shelby Paxton SC you should be getting ~5 lbs of boost at 4100 RPMs and ~8 lbs of boost at 5500 RPMs.

The 300 mile number is tossed around a lot with respect to Ford's Powertrain Control Module (PCM) 'adaptive learning' feature. In therory this is supposed to adapt the car to the way you drive. Initially the mileage and the number of off/on ignition cycles is used to determine the adaptive learning settings. Sort of like a break-in cycle but different. So it's the timing, spark advance, air/fuel ratio etc. that is being adjusted within the first 300 miles or so.

The PCM has no idea there is a supercharger on the car so it has no direct effect on the SC performance. There is a bypass valve that keeps the manifold pressure from getting too high when you shift with the supercharger spinning at high RPMs. The bypass valve that comes with the Shelby Paxton kit is a simple spring loaded device that is set to open at around 10-11 psi. The PCM has no control over the bypass valve.

So you should be getting much more than 5 psi from the first time you start the car with the blower installed.

Archived