TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How the SGT measures up on the Street!

Polecat

All:

Here's a post of mine for another thread and I wanted to get a wider response from all of you that have flogged your SGT against any other sleds?

Tell me, how have they stacked up?

Based on my experience to date, here's how these SGT's stack up:

It's truly amazing how much faster these cars are than stock GT's. I can't figure it out. Two valves and Three valves. Matter of fact, I feel confident in labeling our car the "King of the Normally Aspirated GT's"!

Against other V-8's on motor only? Run 'em! You aint gonna win all of 'em but you'll be in all of 'em! Example-5.7 GTO with cam: barely, and I mean barely, got me (dig and 30 roll).

Forced-induction V-8's? Stay away from 'em. They're in a whole different league. Don't think (like I've seen other SGT owner's post) that the SHELBY across the back will now allow you to get out and run against Cobra's! You WILL get abused!

Vettes (C5's & C6's)? Fuhgedaboudit! One of my best friends has a C-6 with long tubes and he's probably a full second and a half faster than my car.

My doctor has recommended a diet high on rice and I follow his instructions to the letter. I recommend avoiding the less digestible variety that includes STI's, EVO's and any boosted Supra's! Anything else-bon appetite!

In a year or so, I'm adding the high-output Whipple and will put down 460 to 465 at rears. After that this car will be a real...well, most of you can guess the term I'd like to use but to honor decorum, I'll refrain!

Now for any of you tempted to post and lecture me about my recreational activities: don't waste your time!

I am a good husband, a good father and a good earner. I haven't had a friggin' drink in 13 years!

I'm not a monk and I love horse power! (Wow...my neighbor with his brand new M-5 just drove by. That's a beautiful friggin' car. See! We're everywhere!)

We didn't buy 'em to keep 'em in the garage!

Now...

LET'S MOUNT UP AND HIT THE STREETS!

"Leave rice to Uncle Ben! Drive American V-8's!"

Your devoted friend,

Polecat

User is online!Profile CardPM

Report PostGo to the top of the page

Edit Post+Quote Post

Great post Polecat.

I'm one of the forced induction guys. I met with Tasca Ford today and I should be looking at somewhere around 475-500 at the rears by the time they're done. I hope to be able to help keep us all proud.

Great post Polecat.

I'm one of the forced induction guys. I met with Tasca Ford today and I should be looking at somewhere around 475-500 at the rears by the time they're done. I hope to be able to help keep us all proud.

AO:

What package?

Paxton? Whipple?

Not that it really make any difference-at 475 you're gonna have a MONSTER on your hands!

<bleep>, I'm jealous.

You wanna make us proud? Go frag a few "heads & cam" Vettes! Those cocky SOB's need to be taken down a peg or two and you'll be just the cat to do it!

Seriously, after install and the Dyno-tune please post numbers. I'll be dying to see them.

Congratulations!

I hate you!

Polecat

Awesome post, I loved it. Your right by the way. This SGT is a very nice car and fast, naturally aspirtated of course. BUT anything that has the forced induction is going to smoke us hard and fast. That being said I can not wait much longer to have my car forced, it just makes sense as I too love HP, big Hp.

That being said though, HP and all, I know 1 thing for sure the SGT is the nicest looking hot rod around because there is only 6K of them and they are unusal cars with an agressive appearance and the Shelby name written accross the back, crem de la crem my friend crem de la crem.

EDIT: I hope I spelled that correctly? B)

All:

Here's a post of mine for another thread and I wanted to get a wider response from all of you that have flogged your SGT against any other sleds?

Tell me, how have they stacked up?

Based on my experience to date, here's how these SGT's stack up:

It's truly amazing how much faster these cars are than stock GT's. I can't figure it out. Two valves and Three valves. Matter of fact, I feel confident in labeling our car the "King of the Normally Aspirated GT's"!

Against other V-8's on motor only? Run 'em! You aint gonna win all of 'em but you'll be in all of 'em! Example-5.7 GTO with cam: barely, and I mean barely, got me (dig and 30 roll).

Forced-induction V-8's? Stay away from 'em. They're in a whole different league. Don't think (like I've seen other SGT owner's post) that the SHELBY across the back will now allow you to get out and run against Cobra's! You WILL get abused!

Vettes (C5's & C6's)? Fuhgedaboudit! One of my best friends has a C-6 with long tubes and he's probably a full second and a half faster than my car.

My doctor has recommended a diet high on rice and I follow his instructions to the letter. I recommend avoiding the less digestible variety that includes STI's, EVO's and any boosted Supra's! Anything else-bon appetite!

In a year or so, I'm adding the high-output Whipple and will put down 460 to 465 at rears. After that this car will be a real...well, most of you can guess the term I'd like to use but to honor decorum, I'll refrain!

Now for any of you tempted to post and lecture me about my recreational activities: don't waste your time!

I am a good husband, a good father and a good earner. I haven't had a friggin' drink in 13 years!

I'm not a monk and I love horse power! (Wow...my neighbor with his brand new M-5 just drove by. That's a beautiful friggin' car. See! We're everywhere!)

We didn't buy 'em to keep 'em in the garage!

Now...

LET'S MOUNT UP AND HIT THE STREETS!

"Leave rice to Uncle Ben! Drive American V-8's!"

Your devoted friend,

Polecat

User is online!Profile CardPM

Report PostGo to the top of the page

Edit Post+Quote Post

Getty Up! :D

I knew before hand that this car had only 319HP. I read about the 0-60 in about 5 sec. and quarter mile time (12.5-12.6). But I bought it anyway because it is a thing of beauty.

There is way too much pressure on all of us to "out-run" every Tom, Dick, and Muscle car out there. I have plenty of fun just making noise going through the gears. It is more fun to just nod at the competition, not

try to show them up or race them. It's too dangerous anyway.

Call me what you want. I love this car and want to keep it in one piece. I waited way too long to get a car that made me feel 20 years younger. I can be happy without beating the Corvettes and Hemi cars. None of them look as cool, nor do they have the history.

Let them eat cake!

I knew before hand that this car had only 319HP. I read about the 0-60 in about 5 sec. and quarter mile time (12.5-12.6). But I bought it anyway because it is a thing of beauty.

There is way too much pressure on all of us to "out-run" every Tom, Dick, and Muscle car out there. I have plenty of fun just making noise going through the gears. It is more fun to just nod at the competition, not

Call me what you want. I love this car and want to keep it in one piece. I waited way too long to get a car that made me feel 20 years younger. I can be happy without beating the Corvettes and Hemi cars. None of them look as cool, nor do they have the history.

Let them eat cake!

That is pretty much the way I see it!

Let them eat cake!

Let them eat cake!

I love everything about my SGT. I am not going to ruin it by running it against a Corvettes or Hemi cars that are not in the same class as a SHELBY.

I love everything about my SGT. I am not going to ruin it by running it against a Corvettes or Hemi cars that are not in the same class as a SHELBY.

Wow! I love this car. I must. It won out over some stiff competition when it came time to make this purchase: C-6 Vette, Roush 427R, Steeda 335.

And I have an infinite amount of respect for what the Shelby name stands for but I can't bring myself to say that Vettes are not in the same class as a Shelby? I've had four of 'em and everyone of them was a GREAT car.

The C-6's are great cars. The mid-engine C-7's will be great cars! Their lineage as great American V-8's is the stuff of legend (like Shelby's).

As for "ruining" my car? Hey, we just differ on that: I view owning this car and never laying it down a lot like owning a Stradivarius and never using it to play Igor Stravinsky: neither the car nor the violin have been allowed to reach their full potential!

Now, I'm going to run and see if the brakes and shift lever have cooled off from last night's fun!

Devoted voider of warranties and your friend,

Polecat

MOUNT UP, BOYS!

I view those, for a normally aspirated car with this curb weight, as great numbers.

I don't think there's anyway I could pull a mid-12 in this car on street tires. I'd be tickled to death with anything sub 13.

I'm going to take to Baytown and run some traps before the summers out, so, we'll see!

Polecat

Oops, I was off a second on my quarter mile stat. More like 13.5-13.6. It was late last night, was dreaming.

And, I don't advocate that we drive our SGT's like church ladies. I'm all for hauling @$$!

I just won't worry about who I can beat, who has more torque, who spent more money. I just want to win the beauty contest. Our cars are freaking beautiful, cute, phat, bitchin, and awesome.

PS- Polecat, are you here in the Houston area. How about going out to Sealy?

We should be able to best the Hemi's---they did a Bullitt revisited article (I belive it was Motor trend) when Daimler brought out the new charger and a stock Mustang GT bested the Hemi Charger

I love reading stories about Shelby owners really putting their cars to the test, which is ok as long as its done responsibly and safely. Me, I just cruise around town. We have no dragways in CT.

We should be able to best the Hemi's---they did a Bullitt revisited article (I belive it was Motor trend) when Daimler brought out the new charger and a stock Mustang GT bested the Hemi Charger

OK, I've always got one of these stories, right, but for your consideration...

I've run a Daytona Charger (HEMI) with an automatic and absolutely smoked him.

PS- Polecat, are you here in the Houston area. How about going out to Sealy?

Love to!

Also, Dave, this Saturday, August 4th at Racing Solutions on West Little York there is going to be a big meet!

Should be a blast and a ton of sleds!

You can see the details at the Houston Performance Driving website. Look under events.

Food, music, cars and an 11:30 "fun" run.

You ought to make it out!

Polecat

I love reading stories about Shelby owners really putting their cars to the test, which is ok as long as its done responsibly and safely. Me, I just cruise around town. We have no dragways in CT.

Used to have a dragway, now it's the testing facility for Popular Mechanic's magazine. :(

ON THE STREET SPEED IS AN ILLUSION!

On a typical street you can't do 0-60, or 12 sec 1/4 miles, etc., besides being illegal, it's usually not safe. Don't get me wrong, I love to go fast...but on a nice open highway with little or no traffic.

Now, having said that...

Most people I meet, I'd say 95% THINK my car is the Shelby GT500, in fact I would say unless someone is a real Mustang nut, give Ford did so little to promote or advertise this car, people see "Shelby" and they think 500hp and Supercharger. Who am I to ruin their day! :blink:

I would say 80% of my time driving I you will find me in the slow lane or on cruise control at 65mph, with the radio going full and the windows down. I love the looks the car gets, the attention, people slowing down to take a look, etc. :D

When I'm at a stop light and someone wants to race or revs their engine I make it VERY clear I don't think their worth the effort and wave them on. It's really more of an insult to not race them than to beat them. I have nothing to prove. If I were to beat them, so what? I'm driving a Shelby! I should be able to beat them! So nothing gained. If they're a sleeper, and because I "just say no", they loose the chance to kick my ass, I'm still better off as the "bigger man". <_<

I sometimes punch it and have some fun, but on the street it's more about how you look and sound. No matter how fast your car it's easy to get into a situation where they pass car in a way that blocks you in and then what? You look like your car doesn't have it when it was traffic. So then what you chase the guy all over town to prove your point? :wacko:

naww....in other words why bother.

Not only is it not safe, its illegal. If you're going to race, take it to the track. I agree with Matt 100%, to me its more about a great looking and sounding car. You know what the machine will do, no need in trying to prove it on the street. That's just my opinion. I've had way too many speeding tickets in my day, and most of them that I got I wasn't even racing, just not paying attention lol.

This is a true story.

There’s this little Shelby I know that just loves to run. She was born as number 07SGT3456, which sounds so clinical. Anyway, this little beauty has had some serious enhancements…I mean to tell you. There’s that Paxton supercharger she just couldn’t live without. Then there’s that Coast aluminum driveshaft she just had to have. And finally, a set of FR 3:73 gears just showed up on my credit card bill. Let me tell you, the performance tune was nearly the final straw! I know that I should just say no…but I can’t!!! Whenever I see those sleek lines and hear that sensuous growl…I always go running back! I suppose a man could have a worse addiction, though. And my baby rewards me like no other can. She has more Rice kills than a WWII fighter ace, Hemi’s seem to drop like flies too, and for some reason she’s particularly fond of C6 Corvette’s. I believe she just loves showing off her killer behind.

Signed,

Penny-less in Colorado

This is a true story.

There’s this little Shelby I know that just loves to run. She was born as number 07SGT3456, which sounds so clinical. Anyway, this little beauty has had some serious enhancements…I mean to tell you. There’s that Paxton supercharger she just couldn’t live without. Then there’s that Coast aluminum driveshaft she just had to have. And finally, a set of FR 3:73 gears just showed up on my credit card bill. Let me tell you, the performance tune was nearly the final straw! I know that I should just say no…but I can’t!!! Whenever I see those sleek lines and hear that sensuous growl…I always go running back! I suppose a man could have a worse addiction, though. And my baby rewards me like no other can. She has more Rice kills than a WWII fighter ace, Hemi’s seem to drop like flies too, and for some reason she’s particularly fond of C6 Corvette’s. I believe she just loves showing off her killer behind.

Signed,

Penny-less in Colorado

69:

A man out for my friggin' HEART!

Ignore it if you will but there is a whole other world, a sub-culture, if you will, born of the first post-WWII hot rod generation and continuing through today made up of cats that thrive on the ingestion of small 20 second bottles of adrenaline. We must have it. It is a part of our makeup at the molecular level. For most, not all, but most of the guys I know; it has a lot less to do with winning or losing and lot more to do with just being out there!

Springteen took time to address it on "Darkness on the Edge of Town" when he said,

"Now some guys they just give up livin',

They start dying little by little, piece by piece.

Some guys come home from work and wash up,

And go racing in the streets."

It is a rock and roll song. It is Americana.

It's not 100% right but it aint all wrong!

And don't kid yourself...

It is from and for the members of this sub class that the vast majority of American automotive performance was derived. If you don't believe it go talk to the guys that started So-Cal Speed Shop. Go talk to the innovative tuners leading the pack the today and ask them what's the catalyst that drives the engine: It <bleep> sure aint the track, it's the STREET!

As to the legality issue: if your version of street racing is two morons playing shuck and jive in a full traffic pattern loaded with citizen's all I can say is that is NOT what I'm talking about in any way, shape or form. I'll leave it at that.

If nothing else, this has provided for an interesting philosophical discussion.

I've enjoyed it.

Oh...

69-keep up with the Rice kills. Let me know when you hit 50 and will hold a ceremony and award you your "Ace" status!

Polecat

This is a true story.

Signed,

Penny-less in Colorado

You have one knock-out car :) . And the tune who did it SCT or Diablo?

Swede

AO:

What package?

Paxton? Whipple?

Not that it really make any difference-at 475 you're gonna have a MONSTER on your hands!

<bleep>, I'm jealous.

You wanna make us proud? Go frag a few "heads & cam" Vettes! Those cocky SOB's need to be taken down a peg or two and you'll be just the cat to do it!

Seriously, after install and the Dyno-tune please post numbers. I'll be dying to see them.

Congratulations!

I hate you!

Polecat

LOL

Will post the dyno's - before and after.

Matt, I love the idea of frustrating people who want to race and hope I'll have the fortitude to not do it. My plan is to try to keep the racing for the track and annual SAAC events, but it will be nice to know that if my testosterone is boiling over at any given time, the fun is there to be had.

Archived