TEAM SHELBY FORUM

To spoiler or not to spoiler...

ShelbyGT/SC

Hey everybody, here are some side-by-side pictures of two SGT's - with and without the GT500 spoiler: thanks to Tim and Ed.

We were all at an event this past weekend at the Larz Anderson Auto Museum where they paid tribute to Mr. Shelby. Back from my SAI visit, I had the honor of presenting the museum with a gift from SAI. The museum asked me to present the gift which was a signed 1/18 scale Elenor. It was a blast. I also gave some smaller gifts to the trophy winners.

Anyway, while the three of us were there I grabbed some pics of the guys leaving. This was a great opportunity to take some comparative pics for all to get a better idea of whether to get the spoiler or not. I like it both ways, but I will not get the spoiler.

Enjoy.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Adams.ShelbyGT

Here is my 2cents

The Shelby GT didn't come with a spoiler, so I don't think I will choose to do it myself., However, I must say that the GT500 Spoiler looks REALLY good on the car and I have to give the guys props who have done it. It's not an issue of IF it looks good or not. It's more an issue of what your purpose of the car is... For me the plan is to keep it fairly stock as it came from the dealer.

It does look cool with the spoiler though!!!!!

Hey everybody, here are some side-by-side pictures of two SGT's - with and without the GT500 spoiler: thanks to Tim and Ed.

We were all at an event this past weekend at the Larz Anderson Auto Museum where they paid tribute to Mr. Shelby. Back from my SAI visit, I had the honor of presenting the museum with a gift from SAI. The museum asked me to present the gift which was a signed 1/18 scale Elenor. It was a blast. I also gave some smaller gifts to the trophy winners.

Anyway, while the three of us were there I grabbed some pics of the guys leaving. This was a great opportunity to take some comparative pics for all to get a better idea of whether to get the spoiler or not. I like it both ways, but I will not get the spoiler.

Enjoy.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Adams.ShelbyGT

I thought I wanted a Mustang with a spoiler until I saw the SGT. So I definitely do NOT want a spoiler wing. It detracts from the S H E L B Y across the back of the car. A small dove tail may work but only if it is small. I've since come to realize that a spoiler does "spoil" the lines of a car especially viewed from the side.

I saw an '04 Mustang with one of those large "wings" attached to two tall brackets and thought to myself "what in the heck are people thinking when they do that to their car"?

I think we are very lucky the SGT didn't have a spoiler.

I thought I wanted a Mustang with a spoiler until I saw the SGT. So I definitely do NOT want a spoiler wing. It detracts from the S H E L B Y across the back of the car. A small dove tail may work but only if it is small. I've since come to realize that a spoiler does "spoil" the lines of a car especially viewed from the side.

I saw an '04 Mustang with one of those large "wings" attached to two tall brackets and thought to myself "what in the heck are people thinking when they do that to their car"?

I think we are very lucky the SGT didn't have a spoiler.

I REALLY like it both ways. One of the guys posted some pictures of his too with the spoiler..and i have to say it looks awesome.

I have a GT500 spoiler sitting in my spare bedroom...complete with stripes ready to go....but I just can't get myself to make the move yet. I LOVE it both ways.

My hubby says just buy another trunk lid and switch them out every so often :D :P

I prefer no spoiler. Anyway, as the Shelby GT is patterned after the 66 GT350 which also had no spoiler, I think adding a spoiler would be verboten! Like tko211 stated above, I want to keep mine original, as it came from the dealer. Having said that, however, I think the spoiler looks good also and its simply a matter of personal preference whether to add it or not.

Adam,

If you look back in the threads you'll find I was a pro-spoiler guy to the extent I was bummed that is had been deleted and the first thing I was going to do was go put one on. Since then I have had more compliments about the lack of a spoiler than I can remember. Last week I was sitting at a car show next to a GT500. The owner and I were talking and he looked over and said "I wish mine didn't have that spoiler". Since I got the car I've come to really appreciate the clean lines and the GT350's lack of a spoiler.

But in the end I think either look fine...if you want one, put it on, but for me I've done a 180 and won't be adding a spoiler and I never thought I would say that.

I like the wings, and I've been thinking the Roush wing is the way to go. Is that sacrelige? I've only had my car a few days, and I've been debating the wing issue, no conclusion yet. I'm also looking at the Shelby wheels that come on the CS6, I got the black with silver, and I would rather have had the bright wheels then the black.

I like the wings, and I've been thinking the Roush wing is the way to go. Is that sacrelige? I've only had my car a few days, and I've been debating the wing issue, no conclusion yet. I'm also looking at the Shelby wheels that come on the CS6, I got the black with silver, and I would rather have had the bright wheels then the black.

welcome to the board. glad to have you and congrats on your car.

michael morris

Iam going to put my GT500 spoiler on, Just waiting on the stripe, this will be another problem my daughter will have to worry about in 30 yrs

I ordered the GT spoiler from shelby while I was adding mods at SAI. The GT spoiler is on the Shelby Registry, so my spoiler is accurate and 100% Shelby GT. However, I added the GT500 spoiler afterwards. Love the look! I'm having my cake and eating it, too!

It's your car...but ugh..please resist! :o

If anyone is interested, I have an unpainted spoiler(new) with the SAI stripes that I would be willing to part with as my deal on a SGT was screwed up by the local dealer and I got PO'd and just bought a GT500.

Oilman, not for me, but for others, how much are you asking for the spoiler and stripes?

Adam, i thought the question was "do you want fried with that".

im a spoiler guy. have always liked the mustang with a spoiler, but im also the keep it orginal guy. so to answer the question, yes i would like fries :rolleyes:

michael morris

Michael, I was trying to do a Shakespeare thing LOL. But I like fries too - especially if she has a nice shake to go with it LOL.

Wado, please don't do it. Yes it's your car (congrats) so feel free to do anything you wish. But if you can, it's best to purchase through shelbyperformanceparts.com. Ignore the many complaints on this forum about SPP. Although likely valid, SPP is new and possibly going through growing pains. It will be well worth the wait to get authentic Shelby parts for your Shelby car. Oh, and do a search on this forum for "Blackjack" and you'll see a comparison I did with the Roush Blackjack versus our SGT's. Personally, I thought the Roush spoiler was way too huge. But that's just me. Your opinion is all that should matter to you. I'm an old man so I like a more traditional look. I don't know your age but you might be younger and like the more fancy Roush spoiler.

welcome to the board. glad to have you and congrats on your car.

michael morris

Wado, what Michael was really trying to say is welcome to the board, but you suck since you didn't buy your car through him. LOL, just kidding, Michael's an awesome guy and I'm sure he genuinely is happy for you.

I shouldn't vote on the spoiler becuase it my car with the spoiler........... however i vote no front license plate....lol :D

sorry, Ed! :blink:

Tim, thanks for letting me take these pics. All I wanted to do was post them for all to compare and decide for themselves whether they wanted a spoiler or not. I've since been having fun reading the many opinions.

BTW, love the latest license plate LOL.

All, if you haven't noticed, Tim changes his plate often to have or make fun of the current events within this forum LOL.

I ordered the GT spoiler from shelby while I was adding mods at SAI. The GT spoiler is on the Shelby Registry, so my spoiler is accurate and 100% Shelby GT. However, I added the GT500 spoiler afterwards. Love the look! I'm having my cake and eating it, too!

Boeing, you should see if you can slip someone at SAI a $100 to change the registry to a GT500 spoiler. LOL

I vote yes on the spoiler I have it on mine and I get nothing but comliments everyday. That being said the car can be done either way and still look good. It is a personal preference. B)

Spoiler +1

"Oh my....I know you'll always hate me for this and may never forgive me, again. The Gt spoiler was NOT made for the SGT and was only made for a GT. Now your car appears to look like a clone. AND you drilled holes in the trunk! Oh my God Man what were you thinking? No No not a fan at all. UGH:( sad.gif Sorry Stumpy it just took me by a big surprice when i saw it!"

This post has been edited by swedeshelby: Apr 24 2007, 09:30 PM

:P :P :P :P :P

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I REALLY like it both ways. One of the guys posted some pictures of his too with the spoiler..and i have to say it looks awesome.

I have a GT500 spoiler sitting in my spare bedroom...complete with stripes ready to go....but I just can't get myself to make the move yet. I LOVE it both ways.

My hubby says just buy another trunk lid and switch them out every so often :D :P

I have the spoiler and I just cannot bring myself to put it on. And I even actually considered 2 trunk lids, Crazy isn't it!

I have the spoiler and I just cannot bring myself to put it on. And I even actually considered 2 trunk lids, Crazy isn't it!

I am a no spoiler vote. I just like the looks of the spoiler delete. However, for a slight curve ball, if I did decide to go for a spoiler I would consider the V6's spoilers. Personally, I don't like the GT wing type spoiler and I would stay away from the GT500 just because it is the GT500's. Either way it is a complete personal prefrence and I think they look good either way.

I am a no spoiler vote. I just like the looks of the spoiler delete. However, for a slight curve ball, if I did decide to go for a spoiler I would consider the V6's spoilers. Personally, I don't like the GT wing type spoiler and I would stay away from the GT500 just because it is the GT500's. Either way it is a complete personal prefrence and I think they look good either way.

I actually like the V6's spoiler too ! I wish they had reversed spoiler placement sometimes between the 6's and 8's.

Ohhh decisions decisions....

Wow, funny! I was thinking the same thing. The V6 spoiler is lower and more reserved looking. Doesn't suck up the back end and pay games as badly with the cars lines.

If it had come with the V6 spoiler I would have been fine with that.

"Oh my....I know you'll always hate me for this and may never forgive me, again. The Gt spoiler was NOT made for the SGT and was only made for a GT.

That's not totally true. This car is the "retail version" of the Hertz GT-H which DID have the GT spoiler. The GT spoiler is also sold by SAI and will be installed at SAI if you so desire. So yes, while the car comes with no spoiler, it was DELETED, and can be added later and STILL be a SGT.

Not that I would anymore...

I've since come to realize that a spoiler does "spoil" the lines of a car especially viewed from the side.

IMO, the SGT has not a single viewpoint, angle, etc. that doesn't look AWESOME! All the other cars on the road have some angle that doesn't look as good as the others. I think the choice of the front and rear fascias, side scoop AND hood scoop make this a well balanced looking car. The absence of the spoiler and the design of the hood scoop really were brilliant choices and I commend SAI for it. The Roush front fascia is overdone, IMO, and I don't like the front of the GT500. There are no hood scoops I like as much as the SGT's.

So you can guess by now I think this car is the best looking car on the road AND is the best looking Mustang ever built.

I mean it when I say "every time I look at this car I mutter to myself AWESOME"!

BUT the best thing about the Mustang is that it has so many aftermarket choices to suit all individual tastes.

Sue,

How did you get a picture of Michael Morris' car?

Sorry, MM. I couldnt resist. ;)

Michael is the pioneer of curb feelers ! And for an added touch...he markets this spoiler to all the Fords he sells :D :P

He sent me an autographed picture of this car for my collection :rolleyes: ;)

Archived