TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Remember the exhaust rattle?

RogerS

I was browsing a few performance exhaust web sites and came across this disclimer specific to the 07's. Could this have been the issue on early run 07's? lightbulb.gif

copied from American Muscle web site:

Sometime during the mid-production run on 2007 Mustangs, Ford realized that they were loosing money on the intricate metal/rubber exhaust hanger they designed for the 2005+ Mustangs. Thus they switched over to a cheaper rubber only hanger system to attach the factory exhaust. Unfortunately, this system will ONLY work with factory exhaust and will not allow for installation of aftermarket exhaust.

Switching to the 2005 to mid-2007 style hangers solves this problem and will allow for installation of any 2005+ Exhaust System on late production 2007+. To install this exhaust system on a late production 2007+ Mustang, we offer you Pypes 2005+ Mustang 304 Stainless Steel Exhaust Hangers available in the dropdown list below at a fraction of the cost of OEM replacement hangers from Ford!

I was browsing a few performance exhaust web sites and came across this disclimer specific to the 07's. Could this have been the issue on early run 07's? lightbulb.gif

copied from American Muscle web site:

Sometime during the mid-production run on 2007 Mustangs, Ford realized that they were loosing money on the intricate metal/rubber exhaust hanger they designed for the 2005+ Mustangs. Thus they switched over to a cheaper rubber only hanger system to attach the factory exhaust. Unfortunately, this system will ONLY work with factory exhaust and will not allow for installation of aftermarket exhaust.

Switching to the 2005 to mid-2007 style hangers solves this problem and will allow for installation of any 2005+ Exhaust System on late production 2007+. To install this exhaust system on a late production 2007+ Mustang, we offer you Pypes 2005+ Mustang 304 Stainless Steel Exhaust Hangers available in the dropdown list below at a fraction of the cost of OEM replacement hangers from Ford!

I am not sure that's the problem. On my car when the exhaust system gets hot, the muffler will move towards that rear, maybe 1/4"-3/8", so that the metal muffler hanger that's welded to the muffler comes in contact with the metal/rubber muffler mount that is closest to the engine. The metal muffler hanger then rubs against the metal/rubber muffler mount causing all kinds of havoc. The muffler seems to slide in and out of the two metal/rubber muffler mounts by 1/4"-3/8".

I have been tweaking the metal muffler hanger, and I almost got the rattling to stop. It only does this on the passenger side. The driver's side was fixed but removing 1/2" of the metal muffler hanger, preventing it from rubbing on the frame.

I am not sure that's the problem. On my car when the exhaust system gets hot, the muffler will move towards that rear, maybe 1/4"-3/8", so that the metal muffler hanger that's welded to the muffler comes in contact with the metal/rubber muffler mount that is closest to the engine. The metal muffler hanger then rubs against the metal/rubber muffler mount causing all kinds of havoc. The muffler seems to slide in and out of the two metal/rubber muffler mounts by 1/4"-3/8".

I have been tweaking the metal muffler hanger, and I almost got the rattling to stop. It only does this on the passenger side. The driver's side was fixed but removing 1/2" of the metal muffler hanger, preventing it from rubbing on the frame.

I've checked mine and either cold or hot, there is plenty of clearance and I dont have the rattle. Somehow they got it pushed forward enough during the install that it doesn't hit the back bumper area. I expect the tolerances of the pipe and fitting openings stacked-up in my favor on this one.

• 3 months later...

The passenger side on my car is solid as a rock, but the drivers side "pings" if you flick it with your finger or I go over a bump slowly, I have yet to get under there and find the specific problem

I am having the same problem with my '07. The dealer messed with it on two different occasions and ended up doing nothing to stop the rattle, but by adjusting the pipe ended up off-centering the tip in the rear fascia. I took it to a local muffler shop and lo and behold...the bend in the pipe where it comes over the axle is banging against the spare tire well. They tried to adjust it and got it firmed up SOME, but it still rattles. Further examination reveals that another hanger is needed to keep the pipe from bouncing up and down over bumps and making contact with the well. Not the fix I was hoping for with a 40K vehicle, but you gotta do what you have to to get it right. Having the car rattling down the road is NOT an option.

metal/rubber muffler mount metal muffler hangar

say that 10 times real fast :lol:

sorry, it just popped out at me :)

so far i havent any rattles...just that annoying passenger seat. (unoccupied passenger seat, that is) :)

oh and another annyoing rattle coming from my a/c vent left of steering wheel. i twist it around some but the rattle returns. turning on the stereo drowns out the rattles but prefer hearing the rpm's so i can shift. especially in town traffic...

sounds like my Shelby is gettin invaded by woodpeckers these days.

metal/rubber muffler mount metal muffler hangar

say that 10 times real fast :lol:

sorry, it just popped out at me :)

so far i havent any rattles...just that annoying passenger seat. (unoccupied passenger seat, that is) :)

oh and another annyoing rattle coming from my a/c vent left of steering wheel. i twist it around some but the rattle returns. turning on the stereo drowns out the rattles but prefer hearing the rpm's so i can shift. especially in town traffic...

sounds like my Shelby is gettin invaded by woodpeckers these days.

Fatboy what is your issue with pass seat? Sometimes my pass airbag light fickers...comes and goes when empty seat, sometimes it stops for 3 weeks or so. I also have the vent to left of wheel rattle squeek. Let me know if you can figure that one out its annoying. No exhaust rattles here . 3k miles on car I do hear some suspension knocking at slow bumps in road.

I've not had any rattles from my exhaust. I did however scrape the underside of my driver's side exhaust tip several months ago. Does anybody know what type of mufflers we have on our Shelby GT's. I assume you have to purchase the entire muffler because it looks like it's all one piece. Can these only be purchased from Shelby?

Thanks for the info.

Archived