TEAM SHELBY FORUM

So, is it this week we ask for new scoops?

blueshawk

The bottom line is that all the new SGT's leaving SAI will have the scoop riveted on (like it should have been in the first place). It is possible to rivet plastic (softer) to aluminum (harder). There are special rivets that take less "pull" to insert and have a slightly larger head to spread the bearing load on the plastic so there's less indentation of the plastic when you pop the rivet into place. Also there's less stress on the plastic so that creep is reduced. That would be a "good" rivet joint. If SAI is using a standard size rivet head (but hopefully a reduced pull rivet), then they would have what I call a "fair" rivet joint. There are other considerations in choosing the rivet too.

I can't really tell from the pic if there are using a larger head rivet. I don't think so, but I'm guessing.

If riveted,it will be permanent. Another words,if you need to change the stripe underneath,you'll have to drill out all the rivets etc,before you can remove hoodscoop,to restripe.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If riveted,it will be permanent. Another words,if you need to change the stripe underneath,you'll have to drill out all the rivets etc,before you can remove hoodscoop,to restripe.

But then if it does fit correctly and it is permanent there would be no reason to change it again unless you crash it! ;)

Good thought! Screws would be best. But I expect the decision not to use screws is because it requires drilling the additional (larger) holes in the underside of the hood to access the nuts. More labor.

But then if it does fit correctly and it is permanent there would be no reason to change it again unless you crash it! ;)

Or,if others or the WIFE,decide to open the hood,while the windshield wipers are up! Ask Susie,the stripes don't exactly care for the wipers ;)

:huh:

Play-Doh!!!

Almost choked when I scrolled down and saw that.... that's funny!

Jer

Archived