TEAM SHELBY FORUM

So, is it this week we ask for new scoops?

blueshawk

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amy said on this forum that they have the new scoop and we should go to our dealers this mid-week to ask for it. I'l like to have an email from someone at SAI to hand to my dealer so he doesn't have any question about what's going on.

IMHO, from my experience with Shelby, (I am on my 2nd scoop) I would not be one of the first owners to have it replaced. I am going to wait a few months to determine if the scoop problem is finally fixed or not. I know others on this board who plan to have their scoops replaced, ASAP. I want to hear from them first before I pull the trigger.

IMHO, from my experience with Shelby, (I am on my 2nd scoop) I would not be one of the first owners to have it replaced. I am going to wait a few months to determine if the scoop problem is finally fixed or not. I know others on this board who plan to have their scoops replaced, ASAP. I want to hear from them first before I pull the trigger.

Plus..i dont think it's a "new" scoop...but a fix for the ones we have.

Plus..i dont think it's a "new" scoop...but a fix for the ones we have.

Hi Sue,

My scoop will have to be replaced b/c the sides have small "protrusions" from over tightening the scoop mounting bolts. I inspected the scoop before it was installed, and it was perfect. I believe the scoop is stressed when the bolts are tightened, b/c the scoop doesn't exactly conform to the contour of the hood, and is forced to flatten out, if that makes sense.

Plus the paint job is terrible...fish eyes and no luster...very flat.

Hi Sue,

My scoop will have to be replaced b/c the sides have small "protrusions" from over tightening the scoop mounting bolts. I inspected the scoop before it was installed, and it was perfect. I believe the scoop is stressed when the bolts are tightened, b/c the scoop doesn't exactly conform to the contour of the hood, and is forced to flatten out, if that makes sense.

Plus the paint job is terrible...fish eyes and no luster...very flat.

ohhh same here...i intend on requesting a new scoop as mine has poor paint areas ...and two small gashes on the one side. They are hard to see but they are there...along with ripples.

After having such issues with my former dealer...i just took my car and left to await a fix on these issues.

hmmm apparently lots of problems in misreading and thus misposting....Amy stated the 'fix' involved "reinforcing the connectors between the scoop and hood". She never said anything about new scoops. Amy also advised you to wait "till mid next week" to contact your dealer...as she posted on July 20- a Friday...mid week would be Wed/Thurs of THIS week...and as I look at a calendar its Monday...Wed/Thurs ain't gotten here yet.........

I did count the amount of cosmetic torx screws,started from the front,included the 1 that serves a purpose,and counted every other 1,to the center....which worked out perfectly. The opposite side counted out the same. Did this several weeks ago,and concluded,it is possible,to substitute evey other 1,IF,that will fix it short term,and long term.

I still believe the underside of the hoodscoop,where the load bolts go in,is protruding too deep,in relationship to the outer rim of the scoop. Until that is resolved,I believe the outer rim will still do it's own varying thing,as it's the thinnest in the equation.

If I was to remove the hoodscoop,I could study it further,and hopefully come up with a simple,longterm solution. As it's under warranty, I'm not touching a thing. I'll let SAI try to make things right,which I'm confident they will,in due time.

Respectfully,

Rich

I took mine into dealer yesterday. My hood scoop is a "little". Advised them to not correct it that a fix was planned. So I also am waiting for some feedback on the revised ones. Please let us know when you get yours done. Thanx Steve

Yes I'm waiting also. My dealer has a new hood scoop but I have been reluctant to schedule an appointment to have it installed if it doesn't fix the problem of "bowing" on the sides. At this point, I've gotten used to the way it looks and I'd rather keep it original until the "fix" is verified as a permanent fix. As long as it doens't go flying off in the wind, I'm not that crazy about everything being perfect on the car.

I was told just this evening that the cars that are currently being fitted with hood scoops at SAI are having them completely riveted on rather than having fake rivets and then bolted on. I assume this is how they intend to fix all the scoops that are having problems. This will mean that someone will have to drill multiple holes in your hood to install the rivets. I don't konow about you but I don't think I trust my local dealer to wash my car let alone attempt to drill and rivet a new scoop on, heaven forbid they get it on crooked and have to re-drill. I guess I was hoping for a more rigid bolt on solution. Who ever has this done first please post pictures and let us know how it turns out.

I was told just this evening that the cars that are currently being fitted with hood scoops at SAI are having them completely riveted on rather than having fake rivets and then bolted on. I assume this is how they intend to fix all the scoops that are having problems. This will mean that someone will have to drill multiple holes in your hood to install the rivets. I don't konow about you but I don't think I trust my local dealer to wash my car let alone attempt to drill and rivet a new scoop on, heaven forbid they get it on crooked and have to re-drill. I guess I was hoping for a more rigid bolt on solution. Who ever has this done first please post pictures and let us know how it turns out.

If this is truly the solution, I will leave mine as is.

If this is truly the solution, I will leave mine as is.

If this is true about the rivets, here's what has to be done:

You will need a 1/8 drill bit and a ½ inch hole saw. Using the 1/8 drill bit, drill down through the scoop and then through the hood AND the bracing underneath. Now take the 1/2 inch hole saw (turn over hood ) and open up the hole so you can add the nylon lock nut from underneath the hood. Tighten the bolt down so that the front edge of the hood scopp touches the hood. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN!!!!. The hood scoop should now sit flush and straight on the hood.

I am not sure that I want a bunch of 1/2 holes sawed through my hood bracing. Who is going to do this??????

If this is true about the rivets, here's what has to be done:

You will need a 1/8 drill bit and a ½ inch hole saw. Using the 1/8 drill bit, drill down through the scoop and then through the hood AND the bracing underneath. Now take the 1/2 inch hole saw (turn over hood ) and open up the hole so you can add the nylon lock nut from underneath the hood. Tighten the bolt down so that the front edge of the hood scopp touches the hood. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN!!!!. The hood scoop should now sit flush and straight on the hood.

I am not sure that I want a bunch of 1/2 holes sawed through my hood bracing. Who is going to do this??????

all i can say is YIKES !!!

I was at my Ford dealer today and we talked about the scoop issue. He convinced me to wait and see how this fix is going to work before we attempt. There is also a slight problem in the fact that they don't have a body shop and have to sub it out. :o

Now who am I going to trust to do this?

all i can say is YIKES !!!

I was at my Ford dealer today and we talked about the scoop issue. He convinced me to wait and see how this fix is going to work before we attempt. There is also a slight problem in the fact that they don't have a body shop and have to sub it out. :o

Now who am I going to trust to do this?

Sue,

My dealer suggested the same. I am not going to be the pioneer on this fix. :unsure:

Ok. You guys want a Pioneer then I'm you Huckleberry so allow me to state two points.

1. Before you jump on a band wagon from the he said/she said stuff, wait for the facts. I know this idea will not work and that brings me to point #2.

2. I pop riveted my scoop to the hood, drilled them out and took it to a body shop. At first it seemed ok but here were the down falls:

a. The scoop material is too soft and the pressure from the rivets cut into the plastic and actually sink past the surface since the rivet will not pop at the correct time. If you pull up on the gun while squeezing the gun to try and pop the rivet sooner, it pulls out of the hood and then you have a real problem.

b. The paint used on the scoop will spider web from stress fractures. Two of mine did.

c. The aluminium skin of the hood is not strong enough to take the pressure and it ripples the hood. Fortunately when I drilled the rivets and released the pressure, the hood went back to original shape so that means even slight pressure - especially from a pinpoint area - causes the hood to distent.

d. I don't guess I have to tell you the scoop itself will ripple everywhere a rivet is installed. The "plastic" is just not able to support any pressure. Maybe if something were used to spread the pressure, a washer or plate of some sort.

e. The center standoff on the scoop itself is too low and needs to be trimmed. This is not supporting the scoop but constantly applying pressure pushing the scoop up.

Not using the fake bolts but using real ones where you can adjust the pressure needed it a good fix and only requires an 1/8" hole to be drilled. You do not have to drill the backside unless you just want to have a backing nut but only about 2 or 4 bolts would require this extra drilling. The rest will come all the way through. The aluminum skin will provide enough grab to work as a backing nut as long as you do not overdrill the hole, then you just apply Loc-Tite. It wont move. The only problem I found with this is for some reason, it bubbled the paint just slightly around the head of the scoop but it may have not cured completely before I reinstalled the scoop.

The most ideal fix is to reinforce the tabs as Amy said they were doing earlier in this post.

If I can figure this out being a dumb old country boy, I know SAI will recognize these problems immediately.

I hope my experience helps!

Ok. You guys want a Pioneer then I'm you Huckleberry so allow me to state two points.

1. Before you jump on a band wagon from the he said/she said stuff, wait for the facts. I know this idea will not work and that brings me to point #2.

2. I pop riveted my scoop to the hood, drilled them out and took it to a body shop. At first it seemed ok but here were the down falls:

a. The scoop material is too soft and the pressure from the rivets cut into the plastic and actually sink past the surface since the rivet will not pop at the correct time. If you pull up on the gun while squeezing the gun to try and pop the rivet sooner, it pulls out of the hood and then you have a real problem.

b. The paint used on the scoop will spider web from stress fractures. Two of mine did.

c. The aluminium skin of the hood is not strong enough to take the pressure and it ripples the hood. Fortunately when I drilled the rivets and released the pressure, the hood went back to original shape so that means even slight pressure - especially from a pinpoint area - causes the hood to distent.

d. I don't guess I have to tell you the scoop itself will ripple everywhere a rivet is installed. The "plastic" is just not able to support any pressure. Maybe if something were used to spread the pressure, a washer or plate of some sort.

e. The center standoff on the scoop itself is too low and needs to be trimmed. This is not supporting the scoop but constantly applying pressure pushing the scoop up.

Not using the fake bolts but using real ones where you can adjust the pressure needed it a good fix and only requires an 1/8" hole to be drilled. You do not have to drill the backside unless you just want to have a backing nut but only about 2 or 4 bolts would require this extra drilling. The rest will come all the way through. The aluminum skin will provide enough grab to work as a backing nut as long as you do not overdrill the hole, then you just apply Loc-Tite. It wont move. The only problem I found with this is for some reason, it bubbled the paint just slightly around the head of the scoop but it may have not cured completely before I reinstalled the scoop.

The most ideal fix is to reinforce the tabs as Amy said they were doing earlier in this post.

If I can figure this out being a dumb old country boy, I know SAI will recognize these problems immediately.

I hope my experience helps!

+1000

Quoting the Stumper....

""Not using the fake bolts but using real ones where you can adjust the pressure needed it a good fix and only requires an 1/8" hole to be drilled. You do not have to drill the backside unless you just want to have a backing nut but only about 2 or 4 bolts would require this extra drilling. The rest will come all the way through. The aluminum skin will provide enough grab to work as a backing nut as long as you do not overdrill the hole, then you just apply Loc-Tite. It wont move. The only problem I found with this is for some reason, it bubbled the paint just slightly around the head of the scoop but it may have not cured completely before I reinstalled the scoop.""

1st,did you repaint the scoop,and if so,how long did it dry,prior to being installed?

As I can push down on the gaps from the hoodscoop,with slight pressure......not much pressure/torque would be needed in regards to holding the outer rim down. You have less control with pop rivets,verses using screws/bolts.

Eagerly awaiting word from SAI,as to the solution.

Respectfully,

Rich

Quoting the Stumper....

""Not using the fake bolts but using real ones where you can adjust the pressure needed it a good fix and only requires an 1/8" hole to be drilled. You do not have to drill the backside unless you just want to have a backing nut but only about 2 or 4 bolts would require this extra drilling. The rest will come all the way through. The aluminum skin will provide enough grab to work as a backing nut as long as you do not overdrill the hole, then you just apply Loc-Tite. It wont move. The only problem I found with this is for some reason, it bubbled the paint just slightly around the head of the scoop but it may have not cured completely before I reinstalled the scoop.""

1st,did you repaint the scoop,and if so,how long did it dry,prior to being installed?

As I can push down on the gaps from the hoodscoop,with slight pressure......not much pressure/torque would be needed in regards to holding the outer rim down. You have less control with pop rivets,verses using screws/bolts.

Eagerly awaiting word from SAI,as to the solution.

Respectfully,

Rich

Well, there is nothing like test data (Stumps experiences) on replacing all the false rivets with rivets or screws. I admit, there are alot of things that can wrong because of all the touch labor and different materials.

Of course, the next test is to see if reinforcing the mounting tabs on the scoop will work and it certainly is the right thing to do because it is the chosen method of fastening for this scoop design. Replacng all the rivets with screws would make most of the original screws redundant. However, I wouldn't be surprised if a few more false rivets get replaced with screws before this issue is put to bed.

It looks to me like SAI is moving in the right direction and that this issue will be resolved in due course.

Then the car will be perfect! :)

Archived