TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Great story

shelbydream1

Since I don't have my car yet and can't tell you about how much I love it yet (or how bad my scoop fits ;) )-I thought I'd share this with you.

When I first learned of the Shelby GT early this year and started the process of talking the wife into it, we went out for lunch one Saturday with our then 5 year old son (he has been severly bitten by the mustang bug as well-my wife showed him pictures of the GT i had while we were engaged-8 years prior to his birth-and he was angry that I had sold the car and he hadn't got to ride in it because he really liked it and it was his favorite color :) ). My wife would like a new vehicle (is in no rush) and has been interested in the Ford Edge/Lincoln MKX and since there's a Ford dealership just down the street from the restaurant we were eating at who had one of each side by side in front, she asked to stop and look at them, which we did. My son was was bored after 3 minutes, so he and i looked at the row of stock and Roush mustangs at this dealership. We finished that while the wife was still looking at/talking about the side by sides with a salesman. I offered to go in and get her brochures, so my son and I went inside and halfway across the showroom sat a black Shelby GT(they still have it as they want $10000 over sticker)-my son spotted the car and just stopped. I looked down at him and his jaw dropped and his eyes were wide as he looked it over before whispering "Dad, is that a Shelby?" I told him that it was a Shelby and was the one I wanted to get/talk mommy into-he was silent for a couple of minutes before he muttered the single word "IMPRESSIVE"! He went to get his mother-who shot it a quick, disinterested glance through the window and continued her cconversation. He came running back and wanted to see "his seat". While I was looking at the car with my son, an older gentleman was also looking at the car-he told me how he "had been travelling all over the state looking for one of these" and how he "REALLY wanted one of these Shelby GT's, because he wanted a Shelby in the 60's but couldn't afford one and still couldn't afford a 60's model, but he could afford the SGT but just couldn't decide wether he wanted white or black". I told him how I too wanted a Shelby GT, but had just started looking, but definitely wanted black. His response was "promise me that one day this car will be his", he pointed at my son, then said " and I'll walk away from this car right now and continue my search at the next dealership I find". I was kind of shocked by his selflessness, and was just looking at him bewildered when the salesman came back to him and he floored me when he said "I think you should be talking to this gentleman and that young man, I'll be on my way." He patted my son on the head and said "you are correct young man, they are impressive!" and then walked out the door.

It was at that point that I found out about the ADM that they wouldn't and still won't budge off of and told them I'd think about it (I had a friend call the dealership later that PM and ask about the car and he was told $12,000 over because they had a couple of people interested). On the way home and for 3 days, that car was all my son talked about-I think he was instrumental in helping me convince my wife that we should buy this car. So then I called my usual dealer the next week and bought the car they already had on order-which as fate would have it was exactly the car I wanted.

I was thinking about this story after seeing sdear/autoplay's future Shelby driver and thought to myself, that hopefully when I finally hand my son the keys(after seeing the youtube video, it will be much older than 14) his jaw will drop and he will still be wide eyed and still think the car is "impressive".

I also hope the selfless man at that dealership finally settled on a color and got his Shelby GT (or if it's in line for mods is behind mine in line!!!!)

Awesome story dream. I think the best part is that your Shelby is more of a lifetime memory for your boy and that he will never lose that thought of seeing that car for the first time.

BTW, did your wife end up getting her car too or is it the usual story of Mom sacrificing for child?

My son, AJ, is 5 too. Tonight when I tucked him in bed he was bummed that he couldn't go to SAI with me tomorrow. I kept telling him to just keep remembering all the things I've been doing and he will meet Carroll next month. I said to remember for the rest of your life when you see the car for the first time and when you meet Carroll.

Also, about the comment of Mom sacrificing. The week I ordered my SGT, I sent my wife to Florida for the week (with the kids) to visit her parents. While she was gone, I put hard wood floors in the whole first floor of my home and a new top-of-the-line dishwasher. When she came home and was surprised, that's when I told her I bought a Shelby.

Great story dream.

I can relate in ways and hope to continue the same tradition of educating the history and legend of the Marque.

For me it was my grandfather telling me that "you will get one on your birthday" as I stared at the line of GT350's back in 1965.

Today, I hope to continue with my grandson. 18 mos. old and already getting into the drivers seat the turning the wheel as if he is driving. His dad has long been converted to the Shelby namesake.

I too hope that man realized his dream and has a big smile on his face behind the wheel.

Great story dream.

I can relate in ways and hope to continue the same tradition of educating the history and legend of the Marque.

For me it was my grandfather telling me that "you will get one on your birthday" as I stared at the line of GT350's back in 1965.

Today, I hope to continue with my grandson. 18 mos. old and already getting into the drivers seat the turning the wheel as if he is driving. His dad has long been converted to the Shelby namesake.

I too hope that man realized his dream and has a big smile on his face behind the wheel.

What a great story dream !! I sure hope there is gas around when my grandbaby can drive lol.....so these cars won't be kept off the roads !! :P

Funny how we come up with these cars ...we originally went looking for a new truck for my hubby...but came home with a Shelby :P

Funny how we come up with these cars ...we originally went looking for a new truck for my hubby...but came home with a Shelby :P

One day in Feb I left work early and drove to the next city (60 miles away) to check out a used Roush I saw on ebay. Didn't like it so headed home an before I got on the interstate, I stopped at a Ford dealer just to check out the Mustangs. A black SGT was in the showroom and I was floored by its looks. Bought it then and there! I had my wife's car at the time so I had to leave it there and drive the SGT home. That night my wife called and told her the news about the SGT and that I had to leave her car in another city all in one sentence. She took it well.

Hell, I bought her a bus ticket so she go get her car back. How could she complain? Just kidding! :lol:

That is a great story. Nice to be reminded of the emotional aspects of what the car means to people. It was emotion that caused me to cancel my 2008 Mustang GT order upon seeing the 2008 SGT. (I could be taking that Silver GT to Mustang Week in Myrtle Beach next week, but no! I had to cancel it to get this car). December will be here soon enough.

Great story Dream. Sometimes I wish my kids weren't grown so that they too could catch the Car Bug. The Car Bug is one thing and the SHELBY BUG is in a whole other universe. WooHoo for you and your boy, I am envious. Glad you got your car and I am certain your boy is loosing some sleep unless of course he is sleeping in his future ride.

Thanks again for a GREAT story.

Enjoy your car and praise your wife, she is awesome.

Awesome story dream. I think the best part is that your Shelby is more of a lifetime memory for your boy and that he will never lose that thought of seeing that car for the first time.

BTW, did your wife end up getting her car too or is it the usual story of Mom sacrificing for child?

My son, AJ, is 5 too. Tonight when I tucked him in bed he was bummed that he couldn't go to SAI with me tomorrow. I kept telling him to just keep remembering all the things I've been doing and he will meet Carroll next month. I said to remember for the rest of your life when you see the car for the first time and when you meet Carroll.

Also, about the comment of Mom sacrificing. The week I ordered my SGT, I sent my wife to Florida for the week (with the kids) to visit her parents. While she was gone, I put hard wood floors in the whole first floor of my home and a new top-of-the-line dishwasher. When she came home and was surprised, that's when I told her I bought a Shelby.

She hasn't gotten her new car yet-but it's been by her own choice, she decided to wait until the 08's came out and then try to get a good deal on an '07-Ford usually sweetens the financing at the model year end, so that's her thought process. She was somewhat indifferent about the Shelby from the onset, but she's trying to learn to drive a stick and told me the other day she is excited for it to get here. My main condition for getting the car was that she wants to go to Hawaii, so we'll probably start planning that in the fall.

Archived