TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Second verse same as the first.

I just had my hood scoop replaced last week. As the saying goes, "second verse same as the first". The scoop is lifting on the sides now. This one is worse than the original.

I am afraid to order anything from Shelby Performance. The horror stories I've been hearing are unreal.

I want to get the car supercharged, but I'm afraid I may never see the car again.

My first brand new car out of college was a 1986 Shelby Charger Turbo. I still have the car. It just went through a mechanical restoration this year. The car is at the detailers this week. I went to the 1991 Indy 500 just to see Mr. Shelby drive the pace car. I subsequently purchased my 1993 Viper and had Mr. Shelby autograph it. I stiill have it. I sold my 2004 T-Bird to buy my SGT. My town only got 2 cars. One each at two dealers. Mine, #444 is black/silver. It was shipped before I knew, and the dealer, about the SC option. And to deny myself and others a GT/SC stripe with our purchase of a SC, and installed by a Paxton or Shelby authorized dealer is terrible.

The point I'm trying to make is:

SAI, you have people here that our truly crazy about your cars. We in the Shelby Nation want to see your business thrive and we want to be proud that we own a little bit of automotive history. Please keep us informed if you are having problems and most will understand. Lack of information, i.e. back log at the Mod Shop, orders not confirmed or shipped at Shelby Performance, and GTH convt.'s that are completed and being shipped to Hertz, while customers cars that have been purchased and waiting mods for months have yet to be shipped is not something your fans like to hear.

Respectfully,

Randall

Dayton, Ohio

SAI, you have people here that our truly crazy about your cars. We in the Shelby Nation want to see your business thrive and we want to be proud that we own a little bit of automotive history. Please keep us informed if you are having problems and most will understand. Lack of information, i.e. back log at the Mod Shop, orders not confirmed or shipped at Shelby Performance, and GTH convt.'s that are completed and being shipped to Hertz, while customers cars that have been purchased and waiting mods for months have yet to be shipped is not something your fans like to hear.

Respectfully,

Randall

Dayton, Ohio

Hi Randall,

If you go back to some prvious threads, you can see that we are working on a hood scoop solution. It does take time to modify, fit, test, etc. But, it is being worked on.

As for the Hertz project. We have different crews doing different jobs. We have a full crew just doing the SGT's. We have a full crew doing the Hertz cars. We have a crew--which is about to expand--doing nothing but mods. We got a crew working on 40th Ann cars. We also going to have crews doing nothing but Super Snakes and KR's. If we just worked on the SGT's, then no Hertz cars, 40th Ann, Mod Shop cars would get done.

This is a very exicting time for all of us. It is also a VERY busy time too. So, have you guys been forgotton? NO WAY!!!!!! When was the last time SHELBY has so many different products coming out at the same time? Its only going to get bigger and better!!!!! :D

Bud

Hi Randall,

If you go back to some prvious threads, you can see that we are working on a hood scoop solution. It does take time to modify, fit, test, etc. But, it is being worked on.

As for the Hertz project. We have different crews doing different jobs. We have a full crew just doing the SGT's. We have a full crew doing the Hertz cars. We have a crew--which is about to expand--doing nothing but mods. We got a crew working on 40th Ann cars. We also going to have crews doing nothing but Super Snakes and KR's. If we just worked on the SGT's, then no Hertz cars, 40th Ann, Mod Shop cars would get done.

This is a very exicting time for all of us. It is also a VERY busy time too. So, have you guys been forgotton? NO WAY!!!!!! When was the last time SHELBY has so many different products coming out at the same time? Its only going to get bigger and better!!!!! :D

Bud

Bud,

You know I do love you...well...not in a Biblical way or anything, but I do. :wub:

While I see the usual growing pains of an organization rapidly ramping up I also see the makings of an implosion which I have seen many times when a company becomes too successful and fails to scale the business properly as sales increase exponentially.

You guys need some good product management and some processes and systems to allow rapid and sustainable growth without killing the Golden Goose. I can not tell you how many times I have seen this happen to other companies.

Wondering if we are the only ones, I see plenty of issues over with the CS6/8 guys and scratch my head wondering how a lower grill or hood can be shipped with no installation instructions? Very simple and pretty basic. Heck even Crate and Barrel gives me directions to put together a shelf that can only go one way.

In other words a product manager and product management team would be the point person to ensure that there was a uniform way in which SAI packaged parts, what was included, and made sure the needed materials and documentation was created and ready to go before the product was even announced. A product manager works on issues like these scoops and works through how to fix the issue and keep customers informed. I'm sure Amy dealt with a product management team in her past life.

For example I am REALLY surprised you guys are allowing scoops to be replaced today. We know the issue is not resolved with the currently shipping product. Why would we want to expose ourselves to additional charges against the warranty funds? Why would be expose our customer's, and their cars, to additional work and rework with the possible damage to their hood and further rework. To me a better approach would be to suspend all scoop replacement until the new scoop is ready and inform customer's that you have done so until a permanent fix is ready.

Anyway, I realize you are busy and I know it's hard, but I hope you don't take our frustration personally. It's not meant to be personal but business.

I want you guys to be successful! You just need some operational excellence to go along with your excellent products and passionate co-workers.

Bud,

You know I do love you...well...not in a Biblical way or anything, but I do. :wub:

While I see the usual growing pains of an organization rapidly ramping up I also see the makings of an implosion which I have seen many times when a company becomes too successful and fails to scale the business properly as sales increase exponentially.

You guys need some good product management and some processes and systems to allow rapid and sustainable growth without killing the Golden Goose. I can not tell you how many times I have seen this happen to other companies.

Wondering if we are the only ones, I see plenty of issues over with the CS6/8 guys and scratch my head wondering how a lower grill or hood can be shipped with no installation instructions? Very simple and pretty basic. Heck even Crate and Barrel gives me directions to put together a shelf that can only go one way.

In other words a product manager and product management team would be the point person to ensure that there was a uniform way in which SAI packaged parts, what was included, and made sure the needed materials and documentation was created and ready to go before the product was even announced. A product manager works on issues like these scoops and works through how to fix the issue and keep customers informed. I'm sure Amy dealt with a product management team in her past life.

For example I am REALLY surprised you guys are allowing scoops to be replaced today. We know the issue is not resolved with the currently shipping product. Why would we want to expose ourselves to additional charges against the warranty funds? Why would be expose our customer's, and their cars, to additional work and rework with the possible damage to their hood and further rework. To me a better approach would be to suspend all scoop replacement until the new scoop is ready and inform customer's that you have done so until a permanent fix is ready.

Anyway, I realize you are busy and I know it's hard, but I hope you don't take our frustration personally. It's not meant to be personal but business.

I want you guys to be successful! You just need some operational excellence to go along with your excellent products and passionate co-workers.

+1

Beautifully said !

I am going to wait patiently for a scoop fix.

I really do have faith they will make things right.

Great suggestions Matt.

Ralph sends his love to Mia ! :P :lol:

we have it, wait till mid next week, go to your dealers. we will send our Fix

Amy

we have it, wait till mid next week, go to your dealers. we will send our Fix

Amy

Amy,

Could you please share with the group what the fix is before we all rush down to our local dealer to get the scoop replaced?

Amy,

Could you please share with the group what the fix is before we all rush down to our local dealer to get the scoop replaced?

Yes...please let us know what the fix is !! This is the best news I have heard !!!

Thanks for keeping us updated .

Sue ( one of the guys lol ) :P

Ha! Like Adam, with is Orange cars, I can't say...but you're VERY close if you put two of the above ideas together! All I can say right now!

:wacko:

Yes , My scoop has started to get pretty bad after 3500 miles in So Cal (Victorville --HOT- 104F every day)

So Last night I got into my RC Airplane Stuff (I've been thinking about this along time now) , and injected some CA glue (Cyanoacrylate ,,,forget the pronunciation) ,under the edges of the scoop. If you can get enough down pressure on the edge it will hold well,and tight. BUT (Big But) You must have lots of towels paper towels to wipe away the glue spooging out from under the edge immediately , this stuff goes off fast , and though there is a De-bound fluid to get with it (recommended to unglue your fingers if your not the neat type) this debound will desolve the Silver in he stripe (I know this to be true) . But , it works , its not perfect because I could not get the edges to lay down evenly , but it is holding after a hot 150 mile trip from Victorville to Yorba Linda ,and it looks better than it did. You have to be carefull with this stuff , I say its a stop gape fix , and I hope it is not being thought of as the permenent fix, the results will most defineately vary no matter who does it. Being very clean is important , you must wipe out the over flow from the edge, and you only get one shot............very easy to screw up if you have never worked with this stuff.............Im sure dealers could screw this up big time too. I saw a SGT whit just like mine to day at a Yorba Linda dealer , and it was perfect , it was outside , and I thought about coming back tonight for a hood swap , uh maybe when I was younger. But it looks so good when it's right , and detracts terribly when its wrong.

ZDS

I just had my hood scoop replaced last week. As the saying goes, "second verse same as the first". The scoop is lifting on the sides now. This one is worse than the original.

I am afraid to order anything from Shelby Performance. The horror stories I've been hearing are unreal.

I want to get the car supercharged, but I'm afraid I may never see the car again.

My first brand new car out of college was a 1986 Shelby Charger Turbo. I still have the car. It just went through a mechanical restoration this year. The car is at the detailers this week. I went to the 1991 Indy 500 just to see Mr. Shelby drive the pace car. I subsequently purchased my 1993 Viper and had Mr. Shelby autograph it. I stiill have it. I sold my 2004 T-Bird to buy my SGT. My town only got 2 cars. One each at two dealers. Mine, #444 is black/silver. It was shipped before I knew, and the dealer, about the SC option. And to deny myself and others a GT/SC stripe with our purchase of a SC, and installed by a Paxton or Shelby authorized dealer is terrible.

Respectfully,

Randall

Dayton, Ohio

Hey Randall,

Very interesting, I sent a e-mail to SAI and did get a quick responce with regards to the scoop and sending my car back to SAI for a Super Charger. Apparently they are not taking cars back to SAI until next year as I was told. Secondly they told me I had to take the car in for warranty work at a Ford Dealer (Scary).

I got my car about 3 weeks ago, and I am very pleased except for some issues I see as kind'a stupid on a car that cost me 39K.

The Hood Scoop is really a pathetic Idea, who ever engineered it must have passed out on the drawings, and someone thought they were done.

The Tape, I like the stripes but the installation leaves a lot to be desired, maybe rush the job comes into mind.

The Hood Pins and Hood Closure, hmmmmmmmmmmmm, did anyone think that telling folks the Hood WILL NOT lock down and the Pins are a True Nesessity, no Pins No Hood, really, or perhaps I am missing something?

The rear Facia Cover is nice as is the front, but the rear must be using a single bolt or something. I was waxing the car and almost yanked it off when I grabbed it to get up.

Otherwise this is a absolutley beautiful car, a true Shelby with the Head Turning Looks and Performance to Match.

So, I will call my dealer as I see Amy claims a fix, and after reading your e-mail it pains me to take my car in and have them install something that is NOT a fix <_<

Amy,

I just received word of the fix,and was instructed not to tell anyone,but I can't resist.

They are gonna supply Ford,a twenty ounce tube of Silver Silicone. Was told it's the premium silicone,that it's guaranteed to last 50 years,which sounds good to me. Using the colored silicone I'm told,will allow for expansion and contraction issues.

As long as it matches the color of the stripe/hoodscoop,I'll be pleased.

Amy,

We are reinforcing the connectors between the scoop and the hood. The test has worked well.

Amy

We are reinforcing the connectors between the scoop and the hood. The test has worked well.

Amy

Thanks for the info Amy. One question...did you all test this in the heat and after some driving time?

My current scoop was good initially, but has lifted over time and heat. I live in Florida.

Thanks,

Sue

Amy

Helicoil/washer? Skeptical,but trying to remain an optimist. Will look forward to seeing the updated fix.

And Amy,thx for your time on these boards! I know your time is limited(as mine is on the Battlefield/grin),

And it helps knowing,that people at SAI,take the time to resolve things,and most important to I,communicate!

Respectfully,

Rich

I just received word of the fix,and was instructed not to tell anyone,but I can't resist.

They are gonna supply Ford,a twenty ounce tube of Silver Silicone. Was told it's the premium silicone,that it's guaranteed to last 50 years,which sounds good to me. Using the colored silicone I'm told,will allow for expansion and contraction issues.

As long as it matches the color of the stripe/hoodscoop,I'll be pleased.

I'm not sure silcone would make a good adhesive , dont see how silcone can hold the scoop down to the hood?

ZDS

I'm not sure silcone would make a good adhesive , dont see how silcone can hold the scoop down to the hood?

ZDS

Keep this thought in your head.... when you see the nic Autoplay....only believe maybe 1/8 of what he says. I know this as he is my hubby...and he has a very "different" sense of humor . :P :rolleyes:

The original scoops should be warranted for 3 years / 36K, correct? So, I think I will wait until the end of that time period to replace mine.

The 66 scoop was integral to the hood. I have seen minor stress fractures in original cars.

robin

Same with the 95 Cobra "R" model. Mine had 1,300 actual miles on it went I sold it 2 weeks ago. The hoods were prone to stress cracking under the hood. The hood was a special, 250 units only, one off. It is virtually impossible to find one without a crack.

Archived