TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Cloth Seats

grey33ad

Anyone have the cloth seats? Do you guys think they will hurt the value in the future? I am moving to Florida and there is something to say about cloth vs leather in the hot sun.

I am unable to view th cloth up close and was wondering about the quality of the fabric- 1987 LX quality or tight fabric that you can find in say an Audi-

thx

Anyone have the cloth seats? Do you guys think they will hurt the value in the future? I am moving to Florida and there is something to say about cloth vs leather in the hot sun.

I am unable to view th cloth up close and was wondering about the quality of the fabric- 1987 LX quality or tight fabric that you can find in say an Audi-

thx

I live in Florida and have never had a problem with leather. To me, it's much more comfortable than the cloth. ( and cooler imo ) My car rarely sits in the sun, and if it does, the window tint and windsheild shade helps. Window tint is a must.

If you have a choice..I would definately go with leather.

thx

There is more to the car's value here than "cloth". If you have cloth then you have a deluxe rather than a premium GT. There are other differences as well. Another option to look for is the Interior Upgrade Package. If you want to have a car that people will want to buy in the future, at the minimum, get a Premium GT and make sure it has the Interior Upgrade Package (IUP). If possible get the charcoal (read black) leather as well. Anything else and you will have challenges later. Someone that wants this car is going to have many to choose from and you're not going to want to drop your price to level that makes it worthwhile for a buyer to buy yours.

IMHO!

The new cloth fabrics are more durable than those used in the past. I doubt if there are many Shelby GTs with cloth though, the vast majority are Premium models.

It seems black leather is the most popular choice. I am surprised by that . With the silver stripes, I think the light grey leather provides a better balance of colors. Ideally, the California Special two tone interiors would be fabulous in this car. Too bad it is not available.

robin

The new cloth fabrics are more durable than those used in the past. I doubt if there are many Shelby GTs with cloth though, the vast majority are Premium models.

It seems black leather is the most popular choice. I am surprised by that . With the silver stripes, I think the light grey leather provides a better balance of colors. Ideally, the California Special two tone interiors would be fabulous in this car. Too bad it is not available.

robin

'

I saw one on ebay a few months ago. :blink: And don't forget the rubber steering wheel in the deluxe too! Real nice! :o

thx

Leather will have a better resale. What about some nice seat covers? If not I'm sure cloth can be swapped into the car and the leather put in storage.

robin

I think that there was some early (mis)information out there that said that all cars would be either black or white and would come with dark charcoal interiors, and this may account for why so many have been ordered this way. Of course, we have seen gray and tan leather as well as cloth interiors, but it is funny that all of the floormats seem to ship in dark charcoal. Makes me wonder if this was the original intent but that Ford didn't block certain options from being ordered.

I have cloth interior in my car and I love it! Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't alot of the older Shelbys come with cloth? Thats why I got cloth sorta like a throw-back.

I think most of the Shelbys from the 60s would have had vinyl upholstry. I can't ever remember seeing a car from that era with cloth. I know both mine and my brothers 65s had vinyl in them.

I think most of the Shelbys from the 60s would have had vinyl upholstry. I can't ever remember seeing a car from that era with cloth. I know both mine and my brothers 65s had vinyl in them.

Yeah you're right I did a little research and most came with vinyl, I still like cloth better and I think it will make my car a little more rare then most because of the cloth thats in my car.

robin

Robin-

I was thinking the same thing about the CS seats-I'd have definitely gotten the charcoal/dove combo-it think the black seats with lighter gray inserts would've looked great in this car.

I think that in today's market for these cars, Leather and the Premium interior upgrade are ideal when purchasing a Shelby. The majority of them were produced this way and that is the bar in which the future value will be set and judged. Other cloth interiors could be argued as being more "rare" in the future, but when it's all said and done I suspect it they will always be seen as being less. Just my opinion though... I don't have a crystal ball.

Yeah you're right I did a little research and most came with vinyl, I still like cloth better and I think it will make my car a little more rare then most because of the cloth thats in my car.

Just be sure to take care of it! I would keep seat covers on it unless showing etc.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

robin

Robin,

The California Special two tone (black/light graphite leather) would be my first choice for the Shelby GT Mustang.

On AUG 17, 2007 I searched 150 dealer inventories (HOU-AUS-DAL) on the Ford website. I found five black Shelby GT Mustangs with light graphite leather seats. One of five had the Shaker 1000 stereo.

The next day I traveled from Austin to Harlingen (5.5 hr) and purchased CSM 4305 (Black, light graphite leather, Shaker 1000, Premium, no IUP, no AA-T, no Sirius).

http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/z210/to...nt=P1050402.jpg

http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/z210/to...nt=P1050415.jpg

http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/z210/to...nt=P1050475.jpg

http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/z210/to...nt=P1050398.jpg

The next day I enjoyed a salty pretzel and a couple brews at the airport before flying to Harlingen to pick up my 1990 Pontiac Transport, then 5.5 hours home.

The Shelby is so much fun to drive, and is my first new car in 25 years. I like its aggressive stance, and it sounds like it means business.

I have been given the following car wash advice:

- Never use the long-handle brush (buy a bucket and sponge)

- Keep the high pressure wand off the tape stripes

- Do not use cotton towel to dry car

- Use Microfiber car drying towel (W-Mart) to blot dry the tape stripes

Still have not seen a Shelby GT Mustang on the road.

torquewrench1807

...I have used nothing but USA white cotton towels to dry and poish the car, including stripes. I see no problems. Some of that microfiber stuff comes from China. You never know it could be tainted with lead. :P

Just kidding, use whatever works for you. Congrats on your purchase.

LOL Socal.

I too use NOTHING but a 100% made in the USA....like every F'n thing should be.....cotton towel. You can get them at Bed Bath or some of the other home stores for those that dont know. Zaino recommended only these. They didnt give the approval for microfiber yet. I have used it for over a year on my 06 GT and now the SGT and it works great. I do also use a leaf blower to pre dry my car so I dont need 3 towels to dry the car. The only thing worse than a wife b*tching about one dirty towel is using 3 ;)

I think that there was some early (mis)information out there that said that all cars would be either black or white and would come with dark charcoal interiors, and this may account for why so many have been ordered this way. Of course, we have seen gray and tan leather as well as cloth interiors, but it is funny that all of the floormats seem to ship in dark charcoal. Makes me wonder if this was the original intent but that Ford didn't block certain options from being ordered.

My black shelby has a tan interior with tan floormats.

Robin,

The California Special two tone (black/light graphite leather) would be my first choice for the Shelby GT Mustang.

On AUG 17, 2007 I searched 150 dealer inventories (HOU-AUS-Dallas) on the Ford website. I found five black Shelby GT Mustangs with light graphite leather seats. One of five had the Shaker 1000 stereo.

The next day I traveled from Austin to Harlingen (5.5 Hr) and purchased CSM 4305 (Black, light graphite leather, Shaker 1000, Premium, no IUP, no AA-T, no Sirius).

http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/z210/to...nt=P1050402.jpg

http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/z210/to...nt=P1050415.jpg

http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/z210/to...nt=P1050475.jpg

http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/z210/to...nt=P1050398.jpg

The next day I enjoyed a salty pretzel and a couple brews at the airport before flying to Harlingen to pick up my 1990 Pontiac Transport, then 5.5 hours home.

The Shelby is so much fun to drive, and is my first new car in 25 years. I like its aggressive stance, and it sounds like it means business.

I have been given the following car wash advice:

- Never use the long-handle brush (buy a bucket and sponge)

- Keep the high pressure wand off the tape stripes

- Do not use cotton towel to dry car

- Use Microfiber car drying towel (W-Mart) to blot dry the tape stripes

Still have not seen a Shelby GT Mustang on the road.

torquewrench1807

Hey Torque,

I too have the light graphite interior on my white SGT and love it. I really like the contrast between the center console, door inserts and the seats. One question after looking at your pictures. I hope you don't have to endure the hazards of keeping that beautiful car being parked in a lot all the time. Get that Shelby a garage man! Dave

Hey Torque,

I too have the light graphite interior on my white SGT and love it. I really like the contrast between the center console, door inserts and the seats. One question after looking at your pictures. I hope you don't have to endure the hazards of keeping that beautiful car being parked in a lot all the time. Get that Shelby a garage man! Dave

Dave,

A garage would be nice, but I have parked in that spot (over the line) for a few years. After the photos were taken, I did some tree trimming so the birds don't have a direct line of fire.

The car is parked under covered parking while at work, and under a carport at home when a storm approaches. My neighbor said she has seen people, young and old, walk up to the Shelby to get a closer look.

The white Shelby is the nicest looking white car on the showroom floor. I would have purchased the white Shelby with light graphite leather seats if I were not able to get the black Shelby with light graphite leather seats.

Archived