TEAM SHELBY FORUM

First Post Tuning/Mechanical Help

ASMPERF1

Hello everyone,

My name is Lou Manzo and the owner of ASM performance located in RI. I am a SCT dealer and tuner and work on rossgt's cars. A little on my background: I have worked for Tasca Ford in RI for 7 years leaving to start my own business. When I left I was a certified Master Tech and head SVT Tech.

I have built 700+SVT Cobra's for the Tasca Family as well as special projects for the Tasca's.

With my background in performance I hope to help answer questions you may have regarding tuning and modifecations to your SGT's.

Feel free to e-mail with any questions. I will try to get to them as soon as I can. I run a very busy shop and have joined at the prompting of my friend rossgt to help provide some guidance.

Lou Manzo

ASM Performance

Ok Lou. I'll kick things off. Exactly what can be expected for the SCT tune? Does it enhance the tune we currently have or replace it all together. Also, it seems you have to enter a lot of parameters. Is there a more user friendly, idiot proof version that you can plug and play and still get the same results?

Hello everyone,

My name is Lou Manzo and the owner of ASM performance located in RI. I am a SCT dealer and tuner and work on rossgt's cars. A little on my background: I have worked for Tasca Ford in RI for 7 years leaving to start my own business. When I left I was a certified Master Tech and head SVT Tech.

I have built 700+SVT Cobra's for the Tasca Family as well as special projects for the Tasca's.

With my background in performance I hope to help answer questions you may have regarding tuning and modifecations to your SGT's.

Feel free to e-mail with any questions. I will try to get to them as soon as I can. I run a very busy shop and have joined at the prompting of my friend rossgt to help provide some guidance.

Lou Manzo

ASM Performance

ITS SOUND LIKE WITH YOUR BACKGROUND YOUR OPINION (OPINION BASED ON PRIOR EXPERIENCE)

WOULD A GREAT ASSET TO ALL OF US.

MY QUESTION IS HOW DOES TUNING EFFECT FACTORY AND AFTERMAKER (PAXON/SHELBY) WARRANTY ISSUES?

....back to serious questions for Lou.

Lou, I am not sure this might be out of left field. I have a set of lower and upper control arms and a watts link system to install. The Ford shop manual says the hardware (nuts & bolts) should be replaced with new pieces. My problem is I can't get them. The Ford dealers don't stock them and they won't order because they only come in bulk, since I also won't pay for extras. If you know, do I really need to by all new hardware? If so, any idea where I might be able to find it?

Thank You,

Chirs

PS.

I might have more for you tomorrow after I get a second opinion on my supercharger install and tune. Rossgt has talked to you about my car.

Hello everyone,

Lou Manzo

ASM Performance

Hi Lou,

I have installed a Shelby Paxton supercharger kit in my SGT and had it tuned at a local SCT shop. VERY happy with the result, 450 RWHP, smooth power band, and plenty of torque.

In the stock SGT setup the Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor is integrated into the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor and plugged in just behind the air filter.

With the supercharger installed the tuner added a bias to the IAT sensor output to compensate for the difference in air temperature created after the air is compressed and pushed through the intercooler and charge cooler core.

To get a more accurate IAT reading, I am considering relocating the IAT sensor to the charge cooler core output directly in front of the throttle body. This is fairly simple by drilling and tapping for a new aftermarket sensor, rerouting two wires from the MAF, and then having the tuner remove the IAT bias.

I’m in Florida so the intake air temp at the filter ranges from 90’s in the summer to 30’s in the winter. Depending on how long/hard the car has been run the actual temperature going into the throttle body could be significantly different then the air filter temp.

This is a fairly low cost mod (~$30). Do you think it’s worth it? Any experience on what the performance difference might be?

I’m not expecting huge gains but thought it might have better overall performance if the ECM has a more accurate IAT reading.

Ok Lou. I'll kick things off. Exactly what can be expected for the SCT tune? Does it enhance the tune we currently have or replace it all together. Also, it seems you have to enter a lot of parameters. Is there a more user friendly, idiot proof version that you can plug and play and still get the same results?

The SCT tune replaces the tune but give additional perameters to enhanse tuning capibility.

The is no option. It needs to be tuned buy a professional.

Sorry for the late reply but I have been having computer issues.

Hi Lou:

I am also in Rhode Island. where are you located/phone number?

-Tim-

i am in cranston ri, off atwood ave. # is 401-943-1855

It's about time you joined the forum! :)

Now help us out!

This was nice of you to do this. I know your busy. Thanks

Roger

whats up roger, get that car so we can play with it!!!!

ITS SOUND LIKE WITH YOUR BACKGROUND YOUR OPINION (OPINION BASED ON PRIOR EXPERIENCE)

WOULD A GREAT ASSET TO ALL OF US.

MY QUESTION IS HOW DOES TUNING EFFECT FACTORY AND AFTERMAKER (PAXON/SHELBY) WARRANTY ISSUES?

tuning per sct, will not void your warranty. warranty of a new auto can't be voided based on tuning alone. It have to have a drastic chang in the overall car and can only be void by a factory rep after a warranty claim has been issued by a dealer with a valled base. I modded alot of cars for the tasca's when i worked there. and never had one get vioded out. svt even gave us a engine for a cobra that came in, in pieces with a kenny bell 2.3 on it. In short it takes a lot of time and effert to void a factory warranty.

If I mix half 89 octane with half 93 octane, do I get 91 octane?

no u don't. u get detenation with a supercharger. lol.

....back to serious questions for Lou.

Lou, I am not sure this might be out of left field. I have a set of lower and upper control arms and a watts link system to install. The Ford shop manual says the hardware (nuts & bolts) should be replaced with new pieces. My problem is I can't get them. The Ford dealers don't stock them and they won't order because they only come in bulk, since I also won't pay for extras. If you know, do I really need to by all new hardware? If so, any idea where I might be able to find it?

Thank You,

Chirs

PS.

I might have more for you tomorrow after I get a second opinion on my supercharger install and tune. Rossgt has talked to you about my car.

I rearly have to replace hardwear on a new car, but if needed a call arp and get hardwear for this applacation.

Hi Lou,

I have installed a Shelby Paxton supercharger kit in my SGT and had it tuned at a local SCT shop. VERY happy with the result, 450 RWHP, smooth power band, and plenty of torque.

In the stock SGT setup the Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor is integrated into the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor and plugged in just behind the air filter.

With the supercharger installed the tuner added a bias to the IAT sensor output to compensate for the difference in air temperature created after the air is compressed and pushed through the intercooler and charge cooler core.

To get a more accurate IAT reading, I am considering relocating the IAT sensor to the charge cooler core output directly in front of the throttle body. This is fairly simple by drilling and tapping for a new aftermarket sensor, rerouting two wires from the MAF, and then having the tuner remove the IAT bias.

I’m in Florida so the intake air temp at the filter ranges from 90’s in the summer to 30’s in the winter. Depending on how long/hard the car has been run the actual temperature going into the throttle body could be significantly different then the air filter temp.

This is a fairly low cost mod (~$30). Do you think it’s worth it? Any experience on what the performance difference might be?

I’m not expecting huge gains but thought it might have better overall performance if the ECM has a more accurate IAT reading.

actuly with every blower install i perform i relocate the iat sensor to about 6-8 in. befor the t-body. The reason for this is acurate iat during tuning and allows the tuned pcm to properly compensate timing and fuel settings per iat. IE heat soak

It's about time you joined the forum! :)

Now help us out!

This was nice of you to do this. I know your busy. Thanks

Roger

Well for u roger i'll post on a forum, and this is somthing i rarely do. sorry if spelling if off but i have 3 web screens going and can't keep up.. ps get the one of 20 car!!!! Thats bad assss.

Archived