TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood replacement - Part 2

Crucible

What happened is that when the car arrived at Las Vegas it was discovered to have a scratch on the door. The car was taken to a local Ford Dealership.

i had 3 cars headed to SAI. one day we are checking the cars in concept and it shows that Ford has taken one of the cars back? etc.........

That's the dealership doing their main role, taking care of the customer.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Send it our way. We sure can use it!!!!!!!! :lol:

Bud

If you guys dont end up opening a east coast mod shop I will send it your way but its comihng back with the S/C...and maybe the brakes! Now take that! ;)

Boy this SAI customer service never ceases to amaze me. I wish I worked for them.

Studes, as others said, don't give up on the black SGT. You can probably find one on a showroom floor in perfect condition for a better price. When you drive by some dealers, stop in and look around. Maybe you'll see one nicely groomed but with sad puppy eyes and whining, begging you to take him home and love him. Hopefully the next time you post will be that you are a proud owner and have been too busy driving it around town.

I'll bet that that Ford dealer knew it was there all along. They were more than happy to either keep it on the lot and make it look like it was their car (sold already) or maybe they were hoping no one would ever look for it and they'd have a free car.

I remember hearing a similar story months ago from SAI but they were on top of the dealer pushing to get the car back.

:( Im on my 2nd hood scoop and its starting to get gaps around it again worse than the old one. I would like to get a sc6 instead of this hood at a discount price.

Once again...we shouldn't have to "resort" to another hood on a 40,000 car.

and har har har to the three scoops in raisin bran...but you are telling your age :D :P

For anyone interested,here's a couple of pics of hood scoop removed,while it was at Ford.

Picture138.jpg

Picture140.jpg

Just from looking at the pics,and if you look at your own car,you can see how far the "oversize bolts" are inward,in relationship to the outer edge. Plus the spacing of em. That in itself,shows me the design flaw/s.

Possibly SAI can use their current scoop,and use the Torx screws that hold it down in front.... and use em on every other cosmetic Torx screw/s? Trying to think of a fix,that's cost effective for SAI,and that will be pleasing short term,and long term for the customer. A bag of Torx cosmetic screws,and a template,for drilling purposes,would all that be needed. I urge SAI to try that out on say a spare hood the have around the shop,and see if it's do-able. Possibly a torque number would be required,when installing said screws as,the scoop is fairly soft/unforgiving. (hand tight for example,like O-ring clamps and compression fittings etc)

Thx,Rich

I think I have one but it isnt something "we" can try. It involves modifying the injection mold tooling and shooting a coule of parts. It occured to me this mornig sitting at the light that we all have the same issue. The outer edges left up off the hood. MIne actually does this in bith the "X" and "Y" direction (front to back and side to side). My side to side issue is that the two corners lift and the middle sits pretty darn good. My front to rear issue is the flange is rippled(I also have the dimple in the drivers side but that is crappy tooling and is supposedly resolved). The flange ripple is again what I believe to be the tooling. My idea would be to make the scoop more of a tighter radius than it has now. So in other wards take the scoop off the car and flip it upside down. Now screw it to a table in the middle. I am looking at it from the view you see when you are driving the car. (The short cross section) Now after screwing this thig down so the middle cant move go and grab the outer edges and pull up keeping in mind you would want it in a radius smaller than the hood radius. Do this for the long section as well. So now you have a compund bend both length and width like a soup bowl. My thinking is that when you now put the scoop back on the car you would first screw down the four corners just snug and you would then pull the midsections down to the car. Your tension pulling away from the hood would always be from the midsection of both axis's and not the end points. Right now ours seems to be from the midpoints and the edges lift. We encounter this alot at my shop. We use vacuum to suck down materialto machine. We machine plastic and it always has a set one way or another to a sheet. We put it on the machine all four edges touch the table and let the middle lift off. That way when we suck it down it pulls it to the machine and no air leaks by the edges. I am thinking something like this would work but it will take a tool midification to try it so it isnt an easy task. I would also consider changing the angle of the outside flange in relation to the scoop. Right now it is at we'll say 90 degrees coming off the midsection. I would change it so the flange tips downward. This will do the same effect so that when you tighten down the mounting bolts it will always keep the outside edges in contact with the hood.

For anyone interested,here's a couple of pics of hood scoop removed,while it was at Ford.

Picture138.jpg

Picture140.jpg

Just from looking at the pics,and if you look at your own car,you can see how far the "oversize bolts" are inward,in relationship to the outer edge. Plus the spacing of em. That in itself,shows me the design flaw/s.

Possibly SAI can use their current scoop,and use the Torx screws that hold it down in front.... and use em on every other cosmetic Torx screw/s? Trying to think of a fix,that's cost effective for SAI,and that will be pleasing short term,and long term for the customer. A bag of Torx cosmetic screws,and a template,for drilling purposes,would all that be needed. I urge SAI to try that out on say a spare hood the have around the shop,and see if it's do-able. Possibly a torque number would be required,when installing said screws as,the scoop is fairly soft/unforgiving. (hand tight for example,like O-ring clamps and compression fittings etc)

Thx,Rich

Thanks, for the photo, I'm having my first placement scoop done on Tuesday, the 17th. The dealer will have to drill the new holes for the front screws and I hope they don't screw up, scratch, etc. I also agree that if they get a good initial fit, the addition of properly spaced screws will probably help.

As far a toque specs on the larger screws, I've tried adjusting some of them and they all feel like they have loctite on them, making torque specs difficult for these larger and lightly loaded screws.

I think I have one but it isnt something "we" can try. It involves modifying the injection mold tooling and shooting a coule of parts. It occured to me this mornig sitting at the light that we all have the same issue. The outer edges left up off the hood. MIne actually does this in bith the "X" and "Y" direction (front to back and side to side). My side to side issue is that the two corners lift and the middle sits pretty darn good. My front to rear issue is the flange is rippled(I also have the dimple in the drivers side but that is crappy tooling and is supposedly resolved). The flange ripple is again what I believe to be the tooling. My idea would be to make the scoop more of a tighter radius than it has now. So in other wards take the scoop off the car and flip it upside down. Now screw it to a table in the middle. I am looking at it from the view you see when you are driving the car. (The short cross section) Now after screwing this thig down so the middle cant move go and grab the outer edges and pull up keeping in mind you would want it in a radius smaller than the hood radius. Do this for the long section as well. So now you have a compund bend both length and width like a soup bowl. My thinking is that when you now put the scoop back on the car you would first screw down the four corners just snug and you would then pull the midsections down to the car. Your tension pulling away from the hood would always be from the midsection of both axis's and not the end points. Right now ours seems to be from the midpoints and the edges lift. We encounter this alot at my shop. We use vacuum to suck down materialto machine. We machine plastic and it always has a set one way or another to a sheet. We put it on the machine all four edges touch the table and let the middle lift off. That way when we suck it down it pulls it to the machine and no air leaks by the edges. I am thinking something like this would work but it will take a tool midification to try it so it isnt an easy task. I would also consider changing the angle of the outside flange in relation to the scoop. Right now it is at we'll say 90 degrees coming off the midsection. I would change it so the flange tips downward. This will do the same effect so that when you tighten down the mounting bolts it will always keep the outside edges in contact with the hood.

I still have the original scoop (CSM #384) and don't know if it is the same generation as yours, but all my corners appear to be close or touching the hood. Except for the rear passenger side which is off about 1/16". The sides, however, are lifted 3/16" at the middle. On mine if the middle wasn't off by so much, and/or if it did have the angle canted a little off 90 degrees, adding screws like you say would probably work.

I agree that this problem can be solved with just this type of finesse.

:( Im on my 2nd hood scoop and its starting to get gaps around it again worse than the old one. I would like to get a sc6 instead of this hood at a discount price.

Roughly, what are the dimensions of your gaps? I'm having mine done for the first time and I now have 3/16" gaps along each side. I'm at least hoping for improvement.

blues, my gaps are around 3/16" to a 1/4" at times.

HI I HAD MY SCOOP REPLACED TODAY IT DON'T FIT DOWN ON HOOD EITHER, BUT IS BETTER THAN THE ORG ONE .THE BLACK STRIP IS OFF AND FORD RACING OR WHO EVER IS HANDLING THIS SAID THEY ARE ALLOWED TO HAVE SOME MISAIGNMENT ,I SAID B.S AND SO DID THE BODY SHOP FOREMAN NOW A NEW BLACK STRIP IS ON ITS WAY ...AND THE NEW ONE ON THE UNDERSIDE LOOKS JUST LIKE THE ORG ONE .

HI I HAD MY SCOOP REPLACED TODAY IT DON'T FIT DOWN ON HOOD EITHER, BUT IS BETTER THAN THE ORG ONE .THE BLACK STRIP IS OFF AND FORD RACING OR WHO EVER IS HANDLING THIS SAID THEY ARE ALLOWED TO HAVE SOME MISAIGNMENT ,I SAID B.S AND SO DID THE BODY SHOP FOREMAN NOW A NEW BLACK STRIP IS ON ITS WAY ...AND THE NEW ONE ON THE UNDERSIDE LOOKS JUST LIKE THE ORG ONE .

You know I am dropping the scoop from my repairs until a real fix and not just the same scoop is sent. You remember the definition of insane don't you? Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. <_<

Three big reasons why it's good bizness fot SAI to fix the scoop

S-R-S

SALEEN ---------------------ROUSH----------------------STEEDA

Just make a real aluminum functional SCOOP rivet to the hood ,and GET ON WITH IT>>>>>>>>>>>>

Three big reasons why it's good bizness fot SAI to fix the scoop

S-R-S

SALEEN ---------------------ROUSH----------------------STEEDA

Just make a real aluminum functional SCOOP rivet to the hood ,and GET ON WITH IT>>>>>>>>>>>>

I expect at least some improvement with the new scoop since mine is an early s/n #384. BUT I don't think it is the permanent fix.

My neighbor has a Cobra Roadster replica he just finished building and the riveted aluminum scoop just looks awesome! That would be great if SAI did that.

SAI needs to realize the the first thing the eye catches on this car is their scoop! It better be right.

Any other ideas?

"If they can get a good initial fit", I think using 3M tape and additional screws properly spaced on the flanges, the scoop will be greatly improved. Other scoops use a few screws in conjunction with 3M tape and they work even with the engine temps. However, the stripes will need to be cut where the tape contacts.

"If they can get a good initial fit", I think using 3M tape and additional screws properly spaced on the flanges, the scoop will be greatly improved. Other scoops use a few screws in conjunction with 3M tape and they work even with the engine temps. However, the stripes will need to be cut where the tape contacts.

Ok....here is my .02 cents since I am on scoop number 3 !!!

Definately....I am not trying again until SAI fixes this. (agree with Matt here ) This must be fixed. SAI is working on it according to Bud's last post on this.

3M tape along the edges is a good idea...but the friction is going to pull your stripes and wrinkle them on the hood. (stripe guy told me this ) On the standard GT's...they cut the hood stripe out from under the scoop for that very reason.

My 3 rd scoop fit better too.....but it changes...daily. Some days it's lifting more....some not. Some days I can see daylight under the passenger side near the windsheild when sitting in the car, some days not.

I would really like to hear some more from SAI on this board about what is being done. I don't want to call them and have them say they will send another scoop...i am not going that route again until this is fixed.

Thanks for listening,

Sue

Everybody needs to understand that everytime we have something replaced on our cars (hood scoops, stripes), we are more subseptable to damage in that area of repair or maybe even elsewhere. Trust me I know.

As for me I'm going to wait on SAI for a solution. They're the people, I thought, designed it. They're the ones that need to revise it IMO.

Guys, the newer scoops are better, when we originally did this project we used the ford method for their CS car scoop, to keep the integrity. we are testing some hoods this week with another method. I am off to detroit Monday and tuesday, so I will post when I return, but we think we have a good fix.

Amy

By the way, its not all the scoops, just certain ones, as we made a scoop change midway, we are also looking at the 5 molds, to see if the is an issue there as well

Amy,

That is great news!!!!!

Looking forward to some kind of fix for mine. Because I love my car so much I have not complained but it will require some kind of fix. Mine isn't really lifting so much as it has kinks in the plastic on the top side edge driver side, like something was pressed against the plastic from the inside. For future value it must be reconciled.

Thank you again for all your great support.

Not speaking for everyone hear but we love your efforts.

Guys, the newer scoops are better, when we originally did this project we used the ford method for their CS car scoop, to keep the integrity. we are testing some hoods this week with another method. I am off to detroit Monday and tuesday, so I will post when I return, but we think we have a good fix.

Amy

By the way, its not all the scoops, just certain ones, as we made a scoop change midway, we are also looking at the 5 molds, to see if the is an issue there as well

That is good news Amy. I am on my 3rd scoop, with the latest one being put on in May. Hopefully this improvement has occured since then.

I will anxiously wait for your update, and thanks for letting us know.

Sue

Amy

Amy,

Glad to see you chime in and the info on your efforts. My car 2621 has scoop issues and it's a pretty late number. I was at a car show today with three other SGTs and all three of us have issues that people were pointing out. It was embarrassing for all of us to say the least and I'm sure for you to hear it as well. I look forward to your fix!

-- BTW: Interestingly there were also a few AC Cobras with the old style scoop that this one is molded after. They are of course metal and are actually bolted down with the small screws that we have as decoration. Of course these all looked great even on a hood with a much more rounded and curved surface. My point being it's not the scoop but the implementation and while I hated the scoop at first it's grown on me and I'd like to see it fixed.

Thanks!

WaterGuy -

We must have gotten scoop from same production run, mine too fits hood pretty good, there is about 1/8th in gap in center of scoop on both sides, but on driver's side where it rolls from top to side, has a couple of dimples in it and 1 larger one one the rear drivers side. Have too been following everyone else's comments on here and decided to wait till an acceptable solution has been offered. :ph34r:

Amy,

Glad to see you chime in and the info on your efforts. My car 2361 has...

Matt, so you have 2 cars now - #2621 and #2361? :blink: Must be nice.

Hey all, have you tried duct tape? It comes in many different colors now. :P

I can't wait to get my car so I can also complain about the scoop. :D

Hi all,

Very well put. We do and will stand behind our vehicles. We do know abut the hood scoop issues and we are working on them everyday. Now, the only thing I do not know is when they will be done and how it is going to work. But, we do hear all of you and you have not been forgotten. Any comments, ideas etc. are brought up to the proper people who need to know. It may take a little time, but we will let you know about any changes that come down the road.

I also want to let you know that I do read the boards everyday. When I can catch a breath, I try to reply. If not, I will eventually :D

Bud

Thanks Bud.

It makes me feel a little less concerned after reading your reply. I am having my hood scoop replaced in the next week. After reading about so many other owners having this problem, even after replacements, I was starting to stress in a big way. I hope the solution comes quick.

Thanks again for following up.

Joe

Thanks Bud.

It makes me feel a little less concerned after reading your reply. I am having my hood scoop replaced in the next week. After reading about so many other owners having this problem, even after replacements, I was starting to stress in a big way. I hope the solution comes quick.

Thanks again for following up.

Joe

HI I HAD MINE REPLACED FRI ITS STARTING TO LIFT ALREADY AFTER A TRIP TO A CAR SHOW ABOUT 150 MI PLUS THEY MANAGED TO DAMAGE THE HOOD STRIPE AND NEVER SAID ANYTHING IT WAS SO DIRTY FROM BEING IN A BODY SHOP FOR TWO DAYS DIDN'T SEE IT TILL I WASHED IT SAT SHOULD HAVE LEFT THE OLD ONE ON ,DID GET TO MEET DAVE C AND HIS WIFE THEY HAVE BEEN WAITING ON HER CAR FOR 7 MONTHS WOW NOT GOOD I FEEL LUCKY TO BE DRIVING MY CAR ....

Again ...................The first rule in business

Satisfy your Customer .

The reason everyone likes the old style Cobra riveted aluminum scoop is because it was Right ..................It was the correct design for it's function .............created in Shelbys first LA shop when if it worked you RACED IT , it looked like racing , it said RACE .........it's a little aircraft touch . What ever it is it is an Iconic feature of this car.

I think was porportioned just right , an oriented correctly ......BUT these days when the bottom line is everthing to a CORPORATION........

Stamping out real aluminum scoops just couldn't compete schedule and cost wise with Injection Molded Plastic...............though Carol probably would have liked the Aluminum........................

I think this car deserves a Real Aluminum Riveted On Functional Hood Scoop Just make the reverse mold , pour the steel platten , and have Aircraft Hydro Form , or one of the dozens of aerospace shops in southern california stamp out 10,000 .(they need the work ,,airplanes are gonna be all composites soon) A little finishing work , 25 rivet hole pattern , coat of black paint , coat of white paint , couple dozen rivets , and a white tape stripe , and whamo --------you got a SGT HOOD SCOOP KIT!!!!

Do it right , and you'll sell more kits than there are cars out there.

I don't know why this car didn't have a funtional scoop in the first place.

ZDS

Archived